How to get school to follow safety seat laws?!

4kkzv

CPST here who lost a child (not car seat related). Which means I'm pretty protective of my kids. I see a police officer sit at my kids school and do nothing as child after child is put in the front seat of car. Many are first graders!!
In my moms club I'm asked the law, I tell them 13. But they turn around and say they've either been pulled over or pulled along side or have a cop husband and nothing happens!! HOW do I get the school or tiny local police dept to take notice? It's like the click it or ticket.. Wish they gave tickets.

ADS

4kkzv

Also what about Honda insight or pick up? I'm often asked. No back seat. I say still not safe, but if have to seat should be back all way, airbags off.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
What state?? While "kids under 13 should ride in the back seat" is a strong recommendation, very few, only a couple, states actually have it written into their LAWS that kids MUST ride in back. So unless you are in one of just a couple states, it's not actually illegal for kids to ride in front.
And even in states that have backseat laws, there are generally exemptions in situations where all back seats are taken, or there is no backseat, such as in a basic pickup truck, or an insight, etc.

My concern would be more that they are likely not using a booster seat in the front, since most people don't keep boosters in their front seats. And since most states do now have laws up to age 6 or 8 for booster use, that might actually be illegal (although again, not all states have booster laws).

Perhaps you could contact the school social worker or guidance counselor, or school nurse, and ask if they would be willing to send home a flyer about correct/legal car seat usage with students?? That might get a few parents attention.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC