Car seat protectors

PeachyPie

I'm sure I've read before the car seat protectors are generally a no no. So what the heck is one to do if you don't want to ruin the seats in your car? We have a leased car and DH is convinced we're going to have to pay to re-upholster the seats when it's time to turn in the car!

It's his car and says no more installing my DD's Nautilus in the car until we have some seat protectors. I bought some from Walmart today (the brand it brica, it's the "car seat grabber", it says it works with all RF and FF seats, and accommodates UAS) but obviously I don't want to use them if they'll affect the safety of the seat.

Thoughts? Also, what happens when you returned a leased car with major indents from a car seat?

ADS

PeachyPie

Thank you for directing me to that post! I figured out that the one I bought is probably the worst of them all, so I'll return it and buy a better one now that I know what to look for!

mlohry

Not sure of your seats are leather, but we are REALLY hard on our seats, we get our seats in tight! We've had 3 kids in seats in the last 4 years and there is no issues at all from the seats being installed. When you 1st take the seat out, you will see dents, but in a day or 2 they are gone. We have never used any sort of pad, towel, anything and they are just fine.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
On the other hand, my CA poked a hole in my leather seats...

I say follow the manual first and foremost. My CA recommends a towel under the seat. I choose to interpret that to include a thin, flexible seat protector, which isn't much different from a towel.

My Radian says only Diono brand protectors, so I bought an Ultramat for the Radian.

The article linked above is super helpful, IMO.

Phineasmama

I have a Britax car seat protector underneath my Blvd and I plan on getting another one to go under my FR85. I really like them, it didn't affect the install at all IMO.

mlohry

Brigala said:
On the other hand, my CA poked a hole in my leather seats...

I say follow the manual first and foremost. My CA recommends a towel under the seat. I choose to interpret that to include a thin, flexible seat protector, which isn't much different from a towel.

My Radian says only Diono brand protectors, so I bought an Ultramat for the Radian.

The article linked above is super helpful, IMO.

I suppose it's the way seats are designed, how pokey they are. I have had Nautiluses, older and new generation Britax and an XTSL.

Harmony96

That is a neat article (and I was LOL-ing at the title).

I don't personally use seat protectors myself (no leather chairs here), but my child was riding in my sister's vehicle once and she wanted me to use a protector, after my DD had ridden in there for a while and there were dents in the chair. Except come to find out, the dents were actually from my nephew's car seat, not from my DD's.

My other seat protector experience was with my mom, in her new car, where she had some sort of thin nylon thing that was slippery as all get-out, making it nearly impossible to get the seat installed tight enough so that it wouldn't slip. Thanks, Mom, for placing higher value on your car than on your grandchild's life. :rolleyes: Well, I can't blame her entirely. Dad might have had something to do with it, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC