Clek Oobr without latch?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Would you use it without latch? I wanted a Monterey, but DS likes the Oobr. :eek: But I don't have latch in the 3rd row and I am pretty sure I won't get 3 across my 2nd row with 2 boosters and a FR85 not to mention there are times he'd have to be in the 3rd row since I have 4 kids in the car on a daily basis. So when dh us with us, someone is getting booted to the 3rd row!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I've used it without LATCH, but it's not my first choice because it is a little tippy in HB mode and my kids get car sick with tippy. The only set up I found for the Corolla when I had 2 in boosters and a 5'6" teen that could NOT fit in the middle was the Start Outboard and the Oobr in the center. It worked remarkably better backless due to the tippiness.

tam_shops

Thought one of the senior techs (here?) said she would not use the Monterey or Oobr with out the latch b/c the seats are heavy and it adds weight onto the impact of the child. Not sure who/when, just know I made a mental note of it.

I know I could get 3 across in my car w/ a GN (19"), RF RN (17") and Monterey (18")/Maestro (18.75"), but I can not get 3 across w/ Frontier (19"), Oobr (16") and Parkway (17") (the Parkway/Oobr and I tried the Apramo (14-18.5"), TurboBooster). While narrow for a booster, the Oobr just seems to take up more space than some similar sized seats.

So, 54.75" vs 52", which really makes no sense, the obvious RF combo in there is making the difference since the measurements are hip vs shoulder...

tam

amyd

tam_shops said:
Thought one of the senior techs (here?) said she would not use the Monterey or Oobr with out the latch b/c the seats are heavy and it adds weight onto the impact of the child. Not sure who/when, just know I made a mental note of it.

I'm probably not who you're thinking of but I've said this. I don't care for heavy boosters unless they're LATCH'd in for the reason you state above. The Oobr wouldn't be my first choice if I couldn't LATCH it.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
How much heavier is the Oobr vs the Monterey? We are using a Monterey right now without Latch and I'm not overly concerned about it (obviously). I donated four seats to the kids daycare and need to replace them. We have been using the ProBooster since it fits him o well, but the tippy is driving me batty. It will go back to our spare truck for emergencies.

tam_shops

I'm probably not who you're thinking of but I've said this. I don't care for heavy boosters unless they're LATCH'd in for the reason you state above. The Oobr wouldn't be my first choice if I couldn't LATCH it.

I was thinking it was one of the Tech Instructors that I heard/read that the heavy boosters were better w/ latch, but that's *exactly* what and how I recall it phrased, so could have been you or anyone...

I just remember it was part of my decision making process and balance for what to do in the middle of my car (no head rest) b/c there is also no latch there. So, it becomes *risk* my child by putting him in the Oobr w/ no latch vs putting a child in a LBB in his outboard spot, which then in theory becomes the safer spot b/c that Oobr is just so heavy. So, instead I bought the Parkway, but it won't fit there even w/ the Frontier in seatbelt install and Oobr no latch. Can't do 3 across w/ the Frontier, Oobr, Parkway/Graco NBB/Apramo. Will have to try Frontier, Parkway/Graco, as it currently means I can't give any of his friends a ride if YDS is with us...

I *really* want that Rav 4 w/ the 3rd row of seats asap, but no plan for it for another 2-3, even 4 years. Sucks!

tam

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The Oobr sits really far away from the vehicle seat when not LATCHed in, IME. I'm not a big fan of ours. It works ok in the rental I am currently driving since I have enough room to LATCH it, but in my car, it's too narrow to LATCH, so it's being used as a spare.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC