Pressure needed to release buckle?

FunkyPunkMomma

I read somewhere (maybe here) that it takes like 25 (35? insert some number here) lbs of pressure to undo a carseat buckle... is that right? What is it?

The reason I ask is because a coworker was telling me she doesn't harness her 5 yr old because she gets right out of it. Can a 5 yr old typically undo their harness buckle? My thoughts are that she doesn't have her chest clip high enough and the harness tight enough. If that is the case she should be able to fix it and keep harnessing her dd.

ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
My almost 3 year old (tomorrow) has been getting out of a her harness since she was about 18 months, we fixed it buy getting a puzzle clip that cosco uses.. worked great, before we had the paper clip kind on the tourvia, then moved her to the radain... well that didn't/couldn't last she was unlatching the clip in a mater of seconds... then we got her in FPSVD and a marathon she can undo these if she really really wants to or aloud to but is past the 'testing' mom phase... at 5 years old though it's nothing more then a disapline issue... mom needs to be mom and tell the child NO NO NO!!!

mommycat

I don't know about the pressure needed but I could imagine a 5 year old would be able to undo a harness. This to me is an issue of discipline - unless she has severe developmental issues, the child is old enough to be told to leave the harness on and why it is necessary!

ETA: eh, I type slow...

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
So far, all of my kids have been able to undo their own harnesses by age 5 (my 4 year old can't yet, but she's trying to get there). However, at age 5, the child should totally know better than to get out of their seat when the vehicle is running.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
No one wants to hear this, but it's a discipline issue. If the child unbuckles her harness, why won't she also unbuckle her seat belt if she's in a booster?

Dillipop

My 4 year old can get into and out of his seats all by himself. In fact, the only thing I help with is the occasional twisted strap and to pull the adjuster strap after he's done.

However...there is NO way he would undo his harness while we are moving. He know the car has to be at a complete stop and at our destination to unbuckle. He waits for me to turn off the car and undo my seatbelt. If he is uncertain, he asks if he can get out.

I think that by 5, the child should know what is acceptable. Mom needs to be vigilant and work hard to get the child to stop unbuckling the harness. And guess what? It's even easier to get out of a seatbelt.

FunkyPunkMomma

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure.

The sad part is is that this is our school's guidance counselor and this conversation came about because we saw a kindergartener in a 5 pt harness and she turned to me and said "I should say something to her. She doesn't need to be in that carseat." I almost gave her a heart attack with how quickly I yelled "No. Yes. Yes she does!" at her! LOL! Then the conversation turned to her own 5 yr old

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure.

The sad part is is that this is our school's guidance counselor and this conversation came about because we saw a kindergartener in a 5 pt harness and she turned to me and said "I should say something to her. She doesn't need to be in that carseat." I almost gave her a heart attack with how quickly I yelled "No. Yes. Yes she does!" at her! LOL! Then the conversation turned to her own 5 yr old

Holy, glad you said something to her. How scary that someone in a position like the school guidance counsellor might be telling parents to take their kid out of a harnessed car seat because they don't *need* to be in one. Good for you for reacting like that. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC