Should I turn her?

Boot

DD will be 3 in February. She is rear facing in a 2007 radian (Canada). The rf limit is 30#. I weighed her today at the chiro and she was dead on 30# with no shoes. She often wears heavy boots in the car. Should I turn her now or keep her rf to 3, given that the same seat was rated to 33# in the states in 2007?

I'm not going to buy a new seat. The only other possible option is using our cosco scenera but she is already over the height limit.

ADS

Baylor

Turn her. Don't use seat past weight limit rfing. You did good. Turn her

auto correct hates me

Keeanh

DD will be 3 in February. She is rear facing in a 2007 radian (Canada). The rf limit is 30#. I weighed her today at the chiro and she was dead on 30# with no shoes. She often wears heavy boots in the car. Should I turn her now or keep her rf to 3, given that the same seat was rated to 33# in the states in 2007?

I'm not going to buy a new seat. The only other possible option is using our cosco scenera but she is already over the height limit.

How tall is she? If you're talking about the 32" height limit on the Scenera, I'm personally comfortable ignoring that since the Scenera is 36" in the US. I'm actually comfortable using it until the child's head is within 1" of the top of the shell. But that's just me.

I would NEVER disregard a weight limit, though.

rachelandtyke

I would turn her as she is at the weight limit without shoes on and will be over with her shoes/boots on. I had to turn my DD before I wanted to due to the weight of winter clothes + shoes. She was safer ffing properly restrained than rfing past the weight limit.

Boot

I guess everyone thinks turns. I hoping to get her to 3 :-(. On the height thing, she is over 36 inches so I don't think I feel comfortable putting her in the scenera unless the overwhelming opinion is that I should disregard the height limit. I've heard it is 'set in stone' for Dorel though. Thanks for the input.

Baylor

I would just turn her and make sure her seat is secured correctly. That is how she will be safest at this point.

rachelandtyke

I guess everyone thinks turns. I hoping to get her to 3 :-(. On the height thing, she is over 36 inches so I don't think I feel comfortable putting her in the scenera unless the overwhelming opinion is that I should disregard the height limit. I've heard it is 'set in stone' for Dorel though. Thanks for the input.

You've done a great job! She's only 3 months from 3. Unfortunately kids don't read our expectations of how long we want them to last doing something, and we can't control how they grow! We do the best we can with what we have.

We're another family that has the seats we have and don't buy new ones to rf longer when the ones we have are outgrown at an "older" age.

tiggercat

The 2007 Radian probably has a lower numerical height limit, too.
The weight limit changes that happened in the USA didn't happen here, so I'd be wary about going by US limits in this case.
I would turn her, since she is over the weight limit with how she rides in the seat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor

That era of seat had a 32" height limit for RF. I'm not sure if that went higher while maintaining the 30lbs limit, or if both changed at the same time. Definitely turn her, and don't guilt yourself for it. At this point she's safer properly restrained forward facing.:thumbsup:

Boot

The weight limit changes that happened in the USA didn't happen here, so I'd be wary about going by US limits in this case.
I would turn her, since she is over the weight limit with how she rides in the seat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Yes, the Radian has a puny 32" rf height limit but I'm OK with going over that as I researched it extensively at the time and talked to Transport Canada and Sunshine Kids, as well as asking on here and everyone said 'ignore it'.

I'll turn her seat today. My baby is growing up!

Mercuria

Not that it's helpful, but I find it amazing that the Radian was 30#, 32" back then. That's where infant seats get you now!

Boot

Not that it's helpful, but I find it amazing that the Radian was 30#, 32" back then. That's where infant seats get you now!

I know, I feel as if my seat is so retro! It still looks great though and is in the much coveted blue. It was the best I could get at the time and I'm still happy with that decision and glad that I can still use it. Actually, it's been in constant use since I bought it. FF it should last until it expires as she is mostly legs and unlikely to go over the top slots before then.

lourdes

How much she weights without her boots and her coat? I take my DD's boots and coat off when she is in the car seat because she is getting close to her limits too.

Boot

Well, it's done and I have the grazes to prove it. Of course I forgot the safe stop and had to do it twice. We didn't have this car (mazda5) when the seat was ff before so there was a learning curve but it's rock solid and looks great. I'm worried she'll kick the drivers seat though. Rear facing is so much easier!

Harmony96

I'm worried she'll kick the drivers seat though. Rear facing is so much easier!

Ugh. DD is FF behind the passenger seat and she regularly sticks her feet on the back of my chair and pushes, usually when I'm a passenger. I'm not a fan.

But then again, DS is still RFing and the spot where his feet go is covered in leaves and other debris, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC