Car search challenge...

skaterbabs

For the brave among you.....
Criteria:
  • must seat at least 7
  • must be able to tow a large boat
  • must have a minimum of FIVE seating positions with both lap/shoulder belts AND head restraint
  • must have the ability to have tethers retrofitted
  • must have locking seatbelts - no preference for locking latchplate vs switchable retractor
  • can not have Gen3 seat belts
  • 4 wd is necessary
  • not older than 1996
  • must have driver & passenger airbags
  • domestic preferred
  • not more than 80K miles
  • must be mechanically sound (drive train, ect)
  • must be no more than $3500

ADS

southpawboston

how many pounds towing capacity are we looking at? assuming a lot (2500-3500 lbs) i'm going to say a chevy suburban or yukon, or a ford expedition. possibly a ford explorer.

Tara

I'm thinking this is a trick question ;)

LOL

I first thought of a 'burban or Expedition too, but, not for that $$ Not generally speaking anyway.

Um, hope and pray a killer deal on either of the aforementioned vehicles falls in your lap??
Or a 8 or 12 pass van.
Which of course, may or may not have all the shoulder belts you want. And who knows about tether spots.

But those are the only vehicles in general I can think of that would *fit* and *tow*.

skaterbabs

It literally comes down to price - whatever we get has to have the seating positions (w/ headrests & shoulder belts), the towing capacity and 4wd. The budget is set in stone. As is age/milage. (Age would also insure that the belts will lock, it will have driver airbag & tether anchor position.)

For the rest it comes down to where can we find something that fits the absolutel minimums.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You already have a vehicle that can tow the boat, right? Do you absolutely need to sell/trade? Maybe just save that vehicle for emergency + towing & get a cheap minivan for normal use (driving both vehicles separately when necessary) :confused: :eek:

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I really don't think it's possible to get a vechicle with those capabilities with that little miles on that budget, honestly :eek: We just recently made two big vehicle purchases with well over 100,000 miles and most of your criteria and both cars were almost triple your budget and we consider the cars we got to be absolute bargains.

I understand your budget is set in stone, but I just don't think some of your criteria is realistic. Are you going to be trading anything in? Or have you already calculated that factor in? Is it not possible to finance something currently? I know for a fact you can't get a suburban, yukon, or expedition with that kind of price range and i'm not sure what type of imports would allow you to tow, seat that many, have head rests, lap shoulder belts, and optional retrofitted tethers.

I"m going to sub to this thread to see what the end outcome is though :thumbsup: Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

skaterbabs

We have to replace our Suburban soon. The boys have almost outgrown the PWs, but we have no head restraints. Honestly, that and the funky tether anchors that it has (using the tether requires losing a 3rd row seating position) are the only reason we're considering replacing it, because otherwise it has everything we need. The rub is, a Suburban new enough to have the features we need is more than we can afford. And there's no chance of increasing the budget.
Plus, we have to sell the Suburban to fun the replacement even if it weren't things that it's missing being the reason for replacing it.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Well, your boys are about the same ages as my boys, so...

Are the seat backs high enough that you could forgo boosters and use 86Y harnesses instead? I'm guessing that's a "no," since you said they are outgrowing the Parkways by height. And they'd have to be at least 65lbs to use the 86Y without a booster anyway.

Is the 7-passenger seating set in stone? I didn't see that mentioned... because otherwise a crew-cab pickup might work. My aunt has a 1997-ish F-150 that I've put carseats/boosters in; I believe she paid $4K for it two years ago, which might put it in your price range now. It's got headrests in the rear outboard positions, and you should be able to get tether anchors installed. It's wide enough for 3-across, but I'm not sure if the seat is deep enough for a Regent + recline bar.

Tricky! I hope you can find something.

skaterbabs

The seatbacks barely come up to the boys' shoulders, forget their heads. I'm not sure Joyjoy would be able to use a Laptop they're so low. 7 is ....borderline necessary, and guarentees 5 shoulder belts are available, which is a big deal because J. won't be harnessed forever and we drive cars until they die.

Also when we tow the boat we often have the IL's with us, and my neices & nephews are with us often enough that I need the seating available, even if we don't use it all the time. Also, I really don't know that I would be comfy driving a crew cab truck - they're so LONG. I hate driving the Suburban (especially parking! :rolleyes: ) so anything longer or bigger is out.... I have to be able to use it as a primary driver from June - September when all three kids are home all the time.

Currently, when the boys are in school I drive the Jeep pretty much exclusively, and that won't change this year just because CJ is home, although I have to decide which is safer: front seat with or back seat without head rests. :whistle:

beeman

Is the head restraints the only issue with you're suburban?
I'm not a huge GM fan (face it, I'm a Ford guy :p ), but the thing I like about the suburban over the other suvs of this era is that it has the same powertrain and suspension as the GM 1/2 tons. I paid $3300 a year ago for my 95 F150, standard cab, 2wd, base model, with 307,000km (200,000mi), so something with 1/2 the miles, paint thats not faded, 4wd, and a full cab is going to be hard to get for that price.

Now my :twocents: . Head out to the autowreckers and find a rear seat out of a newer suburban (or 1/2 ton) with the head rests (just make sure it bolts up). The big GM change was in 98 or 99, so a seat out of the 96 or 97 with the head rests should fit your 93. Modifications like this might cost a bit, and you might have to wait a little bit to find your interior colour, but I would be cautious about trading a vehicle that you know the history of and is reliable, for an unknown 10 year old vehicle that could lay heaps of trouble out on you after you buy it. The other thing to remember to is that if you go away from the Suburban, into other SUV's you're going to loose towing capacity. A half ton of this era should be around 6000lbs GVWR, whereas an SUV will only be around 3000-4000lbs GVWR.

If you look into something like the 97 or 98 F150 like defrost suggested, just make sure you get the 5.4L rather than the 4.6L.

beeman

A crew cab truck with the 4 or 5 ft box will have the same length and wheel base as you're suburban.

skaterbabs

Thanks Beeman.
Yes, the head rest issue is the deciding factor with needing to replace the 'burban. Unless a new high-back booster comes out that's significantly taller than the PW, we're running out of time. Unfortunately, a 96-97 'burban won't have the head rests - they weren't put in until '98. Replacing it with a newer model seat was our first impulse.
Good to know that the wheelbase isn't longer, that's definately something to consider. We honestly don't care if it's cosmetically icky as long as it's not a functional issue, kwim? You should see my Jeep! lol

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Actually, the '97 burb has head rests....mine did. BUT, while it was 4x4 and all the stuff you want...it had nearly 200K miles when I sold it...and I got $2,500 TRADE in from a dealer....who turned around and sold it for $4,500. You're not likely going to find it w/those kind of miles at that price. It simply doesn't exist. :(

skaterbabs

Actually, the '97 burb has head rests....mine did. BUT, while it was 4x4 and all the stuff you want...it had nearly 200K miles when I sold it...and I got $2,500 TRADE in from a dealer....who turned around and sold it for $4,500. You're not likely going to find it w/those kind of miles at that price. It simply doesn't exist. :(

I'm sure. Unfortunately, we have to be able to pay cash for it, and while we can sell our '93 back to the ILs for about what we bought it for, we'd have to sell our Jeep as well to cover the replacement Suburban. That's a problem since we use the Jeep constantly.

singingpond

It literally comes down to price - whatever we get has to have the seating positions (w/ headrests & shoulder belts), the towing capacity and 4wd. The budget is set in stone. As is age/milage. (Age would also insure that the belts will lock, it will have driver airbag & tether anchor position.)

For the rest it comes down to where can we find something that fits the absolutel minimums.

As others have said, around here, at least, getting all the criteria for that price would be pretty much impossible. Just wanted to comment that the low mileage doesn't necessarily guarantee much either.... Back in '05 we bought a '92 Chevy pickup with plow, with just about 80K on it. We paid in the low $3000's, and knew that the vehicle had a leaking radiator and no exhaust system. It had also blown its first transmission, which the previous owner had just had replaced (we got the receipt), so that was actually a positive point. After we got the truck home, DH was working on it for better part of a month, fixing the known issues, plus a whole slew of other problems, major and minor, that only became apparent after we got the vehicle home. For a while we had the whole rear of the drive train out, up to the differential, which turned out to have a broken part in it. Admittedly, use with a plow is very hard on a vehicle, but my point is that it is hard to know the mechanical history of an older used vehicle, even one with lowish mileage. As it was, we still thought we got a decent deal, but if we had had to pay a professional mechanic to fix everything, that opinion would definitely have changed. Also, we didn't need the vehicle for reliable daily use, so we could afford to have it up on blocks for over a month while DH worked on it in his spare time.

Since you have a still functioning vehicle, with known history, I really like Beeman's idea of looking for a compatible replacement seat with better head support. I know there are some nationwide junkyard search utilities, so you aren't just limited to local availability.

Katrin

skaterbabs

Age is the stickler with the milage issue - my Dh can handle most repairs on GM vehicles (he won't touch the tranny but everything else is fair game). A new enough vehicle will insure seatbelts and airbags.

Replacing the seats isn't an option. There aren't any available that will fit. :thumbsdown:

singingpond

Hmm... that's too bad about the seats. I thought another poster said the '97 seats did have headrests, and someone else thought '97 was still compatible with your vehicle? It sure sounds like a puzzle; hopefully you have time to find something that meets your requirements. I don't suppose there are any other boosters around (European models maybe) that might help with the issues you're having?? Sorry... just grasping at straws, so not much help, I know.

Katrin

skaterbabs

I think the 97s are different, they were several model changes in the 90s, and mine is a 93. If I could just use seats from a newer model we'd love that, because ours has a GREAT towing setup and some other features we really like.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC