Help! Struggling with urge to turn FF

laurengt

I am-was hoping to get DS to at least 3yrs RFing. He is currently about 6 weeks from his 3rd birthday; 39" and about 35-37 lbs, depending on the day/clothes. He is in a Radian in both cars with about 2-3" left above his head.

He is fine in our Impala. Where I am struggling is in my Escape. He is completely out of leg room and, while that is not a major concern usually, it seems to be interfering with the way he sits in the seat and with the harness fit -- it'll seem snug then too loose depending on how I can get him to sit. He is now complaining that it hurts and is too tight every time I get him into his seat, even before he is strapped in and the harness is tightened. He keeps trying to slouch down far too so that his legs are comfortable off to the sides. I feel so sad for him.

I was thinking of turning him FF today while we are doing errands and see how his comfort level and fit is, just to compare.

Has anyone had a similar issue and have any tips on how to make him more comfortable and sit properly? Otherwise, I may just need someone to say its okay to turn him FF.

Thanks for any advice/support.

Last edited:
ADS

cookie123

I'm sorry you're having issues. Matthew had lots of leg room when he went ff at 3.5 in my Escape clone the Mazda Tribute (outgrew the rf weight limit at 3.5). Your guy must be long legged.:) Can you switch which seat is in which vehicle and see if that makes a difference? I wouldn't be excited to turn him yet personally.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I personally have no issue with a ff 3 year old. I flipped mine when he was 3. Would he be safer rf? Yes. Is he VERY safe ff in a properly installed ff seat? Yes. There is not a huge difference between 3 and 3 less 6 weeks but I would probably wait until he turns 3. :)

Legs scrunched up is not a safety issue but if he is super uncomfy, well, I'd take his opinion in to consideration.

laurengt

Of course today he made only one complaint while in his seat RF -- when the last few weeks it has been nearly constant complaints -- and we ran a million errands so he was in & out of the seat a lot. He sure is not helping my frustrations.

VoodooChile

I flipped mine at 3. He was over 30 lbs so the crotch strap was in the outermost slot, which made him slouch, and the 3rd harness slots, which seemed to exacerbate the slouching (note that he does not have low tone). I talked to Alannah (sp?) at Diono and she said that, while rf, I could try the middle slot, so I tried that and the 4th harness slots. This worked great in the living room but not installed, and dh was going to have a butt aneurysm if I bought new seats to rf a 3 year old, so ff he went. And fits fantastically.

laurengt

VoodooChile said:
I flipped mine at 3. He was over 30 lbs so the crotch strap was in the outermost slot, which made him slouch, and the 3rd harness slots, which seemed to exacerbate the slouching (note that he does not have low tone). I talked to Allanah (AP?) at Diono and she said that, while rf, I could try the middle slot, so I tried that and the 4th harness slots. This worked great in the living room but not installed, and dh was going to have an aneurysm if I bought new seats to rf a 3 year old, so ff he went. And fits fantastically.

Don't you wish they always fit as well in the car as in the living room? :)

If we didn't have a baby on the way that will require new seats, I would totally consider new seats (not that DH would go for it) to RF him comfortably well past 3 years. But, alas, the baby will need seats and 3-4 new seats are not in the budget.

henrietta

I would turn him in the car he's uncomfortable in. When baby needs a convertible, I'd pass that down and get your oldest a forward facing combo seat. And I wouldn't have a second thought about it. Really, after a few weeks, you'll feel a little easier about it. :) If possible, I'd install the forward facing seat in the center w/the top tether, and put baby outboard.

laurengt

I turned him today. He was so happy and comfortable; he wanted to stay in the car when we went shopping because he said he was so comfy.

image-924688436.jpg

bnsnyde

Good job so far!

I just spoke to someone today whose JUST turned 2-year-old was in a Nauti (who knows how long) and she was raising the straps because the giant winter coat made them too tight. :(

It wasn't a situation where I could say that's not good, at least politely and without overstepping. But maybe sometime I can at least mention how we like our carseat ponchos, and that they are easy to use. That sort of thing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC