Are these safe?

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Keep in mind, the IO seat doesn't stay in the car and get cold. It's starting at room temperature.

Also, with a very young infant, you're probably not going to venture out much in extreme weather and/or are likely to warm up the car before putting the baby in the car.

An infant with a hat, onezie, footed sleeper, and covered with a light blanket or two should be fine. You don't want him to roast either.

The buntings or bags that line the bottom of a seat are a "no-no" for 2 reasons: 1) After market product - it hasn't been tested so it is not known how it will impact the function of the seat/harness and the position of the child. 2) Compression. Most are fluffy/fleece which adds bulk and can prevent snug harness fit.

They would be fine for walks in a stroller.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
No, don't get that. I sell it at my work. The amount of compression you get is amazing.

elle7715

I used one for my daughter (before I knew better) and it was really impossible to get the straps how they need to be. Knowing what I know now I would never use it. We brought my little guy home when it was below freezing and we just used lots of blankets over him. Like a previous poster said, the infant seat is coming from a warm house so he stayed plenty warm. If our next baby is a winter baby I think we might get one of those 'shower cap' types where it wraps around the top of the car seat, with a hole for the baby's face.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
I was told these are okay because they go over the top of the seat like a shower cap. I've even seen some around here with a flap over the head opening so the baby is completely protected from the elements. I've heard you can find a similar product at WalMart in the fall/winter. I have yet to see one at my WalMart though.

Melizerd

I had a December baby last year and I used a hand knitted blanket doubled over that I covered him with between the car and building/house. He was always toasty underneath when I took him out.

cryswilkins

I have the one that the PP posted. I have also seen them at Walmart. My DD used to roast in heres. I think that if you live somewhere really really cold that and a blanket would be plenty. :thumbsup:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We used the shower cap style as well w/ our Dec baby and a few times w/ Ilana (she had a boot on her carseat that worked well to keep her warm).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC