Big sedan?

Jnc91

I'm looking for a new sedan that has as much rear legroom and truck room as possible. Good mpg is also a must. Any suggestions? We have a 2007 corolla and it's feeling cramp in rear legroom(trunk space is okay). I'm trying to convince myself that a sedan is all I need but the chevy equinox is looking nice lol.

ADS

ca2003

We don't have kids yet but we have a 2008 Chevy Impala and a 2012 Kia Optima and I find them both roomy (I was pleasantly surprised how roomy the Optima was when I first sat in it). I would think going from a Corolla to the Optima there would be more leg room and trunk room.

We got rid of our 2000 Buick LeSabre for the Optima and I was surprised how large the trunk is on the Optima (not as large as the Impala's but still pretty big). My cousin drives a Chevy Cruze and referred to the Optima as "huge" but that was just from the outside and she didn't sit in it. The way the Optima's front seats are shaped and 2 outboard seats of the backseat are shaped, I almost want to say the backseat of the Optima feels slightly roomier (front to back) than the Impala.

From June - September when I was tracking the mileage on the Optima it was about 25 miles/gallon. It was mostly me driving it during that time and I would say it was highway 70-80% of the time with some of that highway time spent in traffic.

From earlier in the year when I was tracking mileage on the Impala (Feb. - June) it was 21.75 miles/gallon. Though the Impala also has a remote start that is used in the colder months.

My only complaints I have about the Optima are the headrests (they are forward leaning in an aggressive way but I am mostly used to them at this point), lack of remote start (which can be fixed) and slight hesitation getting on the highway / accelerating compared to the Impala (I don't think this would be an issue going from a Corolla to the Optima).

I really like all the safety features of the Optima and the fact that we bought the base model and it still has blue tooth and USB technology. My fiance doesn't like the speakers but he bought some on Amazon to replace them...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions about either car.

Lemonade

My parents have a chevy impala and it's nice and big but theirs is a 2006 or 2008 and it has fixed head rests in the back row. Makes installing some seats bad or impossible. The Frontier does work nicely back there with the headrest but it's wide.

We had a rental 2011 Impala for a week and I loved it! I was really worried about room before hand but it worked great for us. I honestly don't remember about the headrests (both RFers). I do know the trunk was plenty large/deep (had plenty of room for my BJCMD pushed to the back and groceries in front) and we had no problem with front to back room for the seats. As for "get up and go", it had more than my Santa fe and I sure didn't have a bit of complaint about that.

We also had a loaner 2012 Sonata (fully loaded) and I also would have loved to keep it. Less "get up and go" than the Impala but plenty of room. Taller DH preferred this layout and space usage.

(Just for reference, we have adults 6'2 and 5'8 and were using a TrueFit and an Uptown (required noodle) in both situations.

Sent from my MB860 using Car-Seat.Org

Phineasmama

My DH had a Dodge Charger and he loved it, it actually does have a huge back seat and 3 across was easy in it. He had a 2006 though which was the 1st model year and that thing was a giant piece of JUNK. I'm sure they improved things with subsequent model years but the stupid car was falling apart.

Mommy!

We have a 2006 Ford Crown Victoria. Massive car, tons of legroom front and back, we can fit three of anything across the back seat with no problems at all. Massive and deep trunk too. We took an almost three week road trip in September, well over 5000 kilometres, had no problems at all fitting in all the luggage.

We bought it for $3000 (a former used police car) and it's a great practical family car; rubber floor instead of carpet, cloth seats for the parents up front but vinyl in the back for the kids. Auto insurance is also as cheap as it gets. Fuel economy is not the best but it is a full size sedan after all and the insurance savings make up for it (where we live anyways).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC