Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

View Poll Results: What type of booster should DS get?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • High Back Booster

0 0%
  • Low Back Booster

8 100.00%
  • Something else?!?!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Next step re. boostering

DS is 10 years old and tiny. He's roughly 4'6" and 55 lbs soaking wet with a full stomach. On the other hand he has a giant head. He's always been off the growth charts - the bottom for height and weight and the top for head circumference. He's my own adorable bobble head.

He has been riding in his Regent in Grandma's 2010 or 2011 Kia Sportage. She picks him up from school and drives him 10 miles or so home every day. She also watches him and drives him around for a portion of the summer. The Kia has side air bags. MIL is a distracted driver and her car is full of junk, but she is cautious, drives slowly, and generally safe. She's never been in an accident or had a ticket. DS LOVES his Regent. He is so bummed he has to get rid of it because it's expired. But for gosh sakes he's 10! He'll be starting middle school in the fall! It's a bit ridiculous. Because of his size there's no way he'd pass the test to sit w/out a booster. I haven't tried. But should I get him a high back booster or a lbb? He's in a Britax Parkway SG in DH's car and a Compass Pathway B570 in my car. I was going to just get another Compass because he likes it, but I was thinking that maybe I should get him a lbb. He wouldn't need to sleep in that car because it's short distances only and his friends wouldn't notice as much. Also, he constantly is locking the seatbelt in the Compass and I don't trust MIL to be able to unhook it out of the seatbelt guide and re-thread it. He can do it, but I don't trust that she'll give him the time. I don't know if it's the fault of the booster or the seatbelt, but that doesn't happen in DH's car with the parkway.

So - what do you think lbb or hbb? I know nothing about lbbs. What seat? I like the 2 hbb's that we have because his head fits in the wings. No joke - I had to return a few because his head wouldn't fit
    ~~~ Tina ~~~
    DS (07/02) | 54bs | 52 inches | Compass B750, Santa Fe and a Parkway SG
    DD (11/06) | 41lbs | 44inches | Frontier85, Radian80, Alpha Elite 65 L

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Next step re. boostering

He's 10 with a 10 year old skeleton. I'd get him a low back booster. Basically, anything he finds comfortable.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

4. Thank You from:

Thanks Wendy - I've always valued your input because it's always spot on and your dd reminds me of my DS size and age wise and they both had Wizards long ago. I'm not a stalker - just have a good memory.
    ~~~ Tina ~~~
    DS (07/02) | 54bs | 52 inches | Compass B750, Santa Fe and a Parkway SG
    DD (11/06) | 41lbs | 44inches | Frontier85, Radian80, Alpha Elite 65 L

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas
    He's 10 with a 10 year old skeleton. I'd get him a low back booster. Basically, anything he finds comfortable.

Wendy
    I agree with Wendy (Naturally) but I might let him have some input in which booster he likes. If he likes the feeling of the Regent, he might prefer a booster that provides a similar feeling and anything that keeps preteen a happy in (needed) booster is good by me!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

Senior Community Member

For comfy LBB's, check out the Evenflo Amp or Harmony Cruz.
    Kelley - Mom to: DD1 4/25/2006, DS 8/9/08, DD2 9/10/09
    host mom to a 16yo Chinese foreign exchange student
    2011 Toyota Sienna, 2008 Chevrolet Aveo

Isn't the Diono LBB supposed to be big and comfy?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

It's deep, but I don't know if that's how I'd describe it. It's a bit narrower at the back than the Amp, a bit shorter at the arms than the Turbo and Amp (with the Turbo's armrests high).

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Technician

You could look into something like the bubblebum booster. I like the sizing the design and dimensions. Not to mention its "nifty and different" your son might love something unique!