DCFS horrifying misuse -- WWYD?

laurengt

Friend of mine is a foster parent and sent me a message the other day telling me the experience of another foster patent friend of hers:

The DCFS caseworker came to pick up an 8 month old (15 lbs) for a home visit. The cw had only a HBB to transport the child. The foster parent saw and offered to install their seat for her so the child could be transported safely (and legally). The cw declined saying that the child would be fine. When the child returned from the visit, she was not even buckled into the seat/HBB.

My friend asked if it would be feasible to get the DCFS caseworkers some training. I would obviously be happy to do that but it seems like a huge undertaking and I know that I would new help and also I assume there are a million channels I would need to go through. There is also an even bigger problem than misuse as this is illegal actions and neglect.

WWYD? Contact the regional SK coordinator? Our area is horrible for car seat use and besides myself, the guy at the baby boutique, some AAA reps, and a handful of techs at public health, the area is scarce for techs or even CPS advocates/enthusiasts.

Where do I start with getting training for the caseworkers and help for these kids who are unsafe in their cars?

ADS
I feel like all your friend can do is pass along your information and your offer to train, along with all of the misuse she sees. And, every time she sees a child being transported incorrectly, she should send an email to that person, and if it continues, cc the supervisor.

I've not allowed foster kids to leave my house before, because a transporter brought a HBB for a 9 month old, or something similar. I've also uninstalled expired seats, and installed my own seats for kids.

In all fairness, I do not expect caseworkers to be car seat experts, anymore. When I know a caseworker or transporter is coming to get a foster child, I tell them what kind of seat they need (RF convertible) to transport the child safely. Caseworkers have always been willing to follow my directions in that regard.

Xandra

*eek* This is why I transport my fk's myself!

I think PP is correct, in that it will be most effective to have the FP's themselves speaking up, installing their own seats, telling them what type of seat to bring, etc. Training them all sounds daunting!

Xandra, Adoptive Mommy to A, 12yrs-Harmony Cruz, Foster Mommy to O, 8yrs-Parkway SGL, A, 5yrs-Frontier, and L, 14mos -RF Radian XTSL, and Pre-School Teacher to 9 Sweeties who ride in Complete Air 65's & Radian XTSL's * Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

tiggercat

We've trained some children's aid workers locally, but it took a while to get them involved. Their was concern that if they were certified, their liability would be higher.
I think it's the transportation coordinators (or something like that) that you have to get on board.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Phineasmama

This is probably a dumb question but couldn't the police be called if she is transporting children unrestrained (which is illegal)?

EXACTLY what I thought when I read this. I would have absolutely refused to let an 8 month old be transported like that, it's reckless child endangerment. And if they have a problem with it say okay I'm calling the non emergency police line and we'll have an officer come and help work out this...situation.

Athena

This is probably a dumb question but couldn't the police be called if she is transporting children unrestrained (which is illegal)?

Yes! This agency takes away kids for supposed neglect only to neglect them themselves. Seriously?! This makes me really angry. Good for you and your friend for trying to remedy this situation and protect these children from this blatant endangerment. It's wonderful that someone actually cares about these kids.

krfogle88

I can't imagine this. Dd2 is 8.5 months and just barely 15 lbs and she would not be able to sit in a booster without falling over. How in the world did the tiny baby not fall out of the booster?

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I too have seen horrible CPS practices by DCFS. In my case, the person was a transporter, not a CW so she was using what had been given to her. The child was a BIG toddler in the days before HWH. She did not have a CR for the child she was picking up at school.

So what would I do?

1) Document - grab your phone/camera, record car and license plate number as well as CW name/number

2) CALL/email CW and up the chain of supervisors. Report that CW declined your offer to use a CR AND did not have the child restrained at all. Include a copy of your state law AND a brochure about which seats are needed for various ages/stages

4) Next time, do not let the child leave. Call DCFS supervisor and police.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Depending on your county, your DCFS may have a training department -- they may be the people to contact. I was vetted last year as a backup trainer for ours, but we have a huge children's services in my county... they put on training every eight weeks or so. All new employees here go through the training. If you don't have a similar program in your area, it may be worth floating the idea to children's services.

A note, in my county the folks who have car seat training are at the public health department, which is totally separate from children's services. Just one county over, where I used to live, all of those services are in the same building and work together and things are much more closely intertwined. Depending on the size of your county, there may be a program in place, or training may be a completely novel idea to them. In any event, it's worth a call.

V

VanIsleMommy

I don't expect them to be extended rear facing or anything, but I WOULD expect a person paid to TRANSPORT a child would be doing so *LEGALLY*. :eek:

if I were in that position, I would tell the person to come back with an appropriate car seat or I was going to call the police, and I would refuse to release the child until that was done. if you released a child into a person's care knowing they were transporting illegally, you would be liable too!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Safety Belt Safe has a curriculum we use for training DCFS workers. I bet you could license it if you emailed Stephanie. It's ready-to-teach, AFAIK.

laurengt

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm going to mull this all over some more and make some calls on Monday, starting with the local DCFS office. I will also recommend to my friend/friend-of-friend to not allow that to happen again and to contact someone if a CW or transporter tries to do it again.

I hope I reach receptive people and not lots of brick walls.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC