TF Max ffing height is 1 inch below top of seat

christineka

I had my true fit premier out of my car and was looking at labels because I called tomy about my faulty top tether hook. I saw a label on the side, stating the max head heights for the different modes of use. For forward facing it shows the max head height as slightly below the top of the seat.

tflabel.jpg

Then I checked my manual, which says the ears can't go above the seat. I knew that there must be an error somewhere, so I called tomy to ask. The rep put me on hold to ask someone else. (who? I didn't ask.) She came back and told me it is 1 inch from the top of the head. I clarified "forward-facing?", yes. What about the ears thing? I read from the manual. She told me to just forget about the ears and go by 1 inch from the top of the head. Would anyone else like to call to see if you get a different answer? I will have to check my dd's height because she may be even with the top of the seat. She has a small head and her shoulders are just a tad below the top position.

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
:eek: I just looked at a True Fit (it's older - one of the first ones out) and it does not have that diagram with the line above the head. Nowhere does it state anything about where the head ought to be relative to the shell for FF, and only gives a 50" standing height limit for FF. I have a newer one at home (where I am not at the moment) and can look tomorrow. I dearly hope that is not the case.

babyherder

Hopefully they don't know what they're talking about and are just giving the more conservative answer. Now I want to look at the nanny girls True Fits on Mon.

rachelandtyke

I am pretty sure are older TFs do not have that label. DD still had a couple inches over her head and was well below 50" when she moved into her booster, so it wouldn't have mattered either way for us, but that is every interesting . . .

jacqui276

I don't feel like going out to peak at my seat right now, but my TFP manual (2012 DOM, purchased about 3 months ago) has that picture for FFing with the line above the head for max height but only specifies 50"/127cm max height in words. On the RFing page it actually specifies "head is 2.5cm below the top of the seat". There is nothing anywhere in my manual about the tops of the ears reaching the top of the seat. Mine is a Canadian model, assuming that makes a difference.

I'm glad that this was brought up though as I had just assumed the tops of the ears without thoroughly looking at it (not that DS is anywhere close to that yet!).

christineka

I did a seat check (and sale) of a brand new c650 today. I noticed it had the same label on the side. My tfp is from Nov 2009.

I also checked my daughter in the seat today. She is 45 pounds !!! Her shoulders are high enough that she'll not ride in the seat again. She has 1.25 inches of shell above her head.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Her shoulders are high enough that she'll not ride in the seat again. She has 1.25 inches of shell above her head.

I'm guessing that's the case with most kids? The top slots aren't really super tall, but the shell is way way tall, so there'd be significant misuse of the seat if kids were in there till the tops of the ears were even with the top of the shell? Still, interesting to know :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC