Threads not marking themselves as read

Mercuria

For the last couple of days, threads haven't always automatically been marked as read when I loaded them. A couple would, but most would stay bolded until I manually marked the forum as read.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There have been other complaints about this as well and I'm not sure what is causing it for some users.

My best guess is that it could be a corrupt cookie issue, as the forum cookie is what stores information like your last visit and other stuff that is saved from login to login.

You can try this to see if it helps:

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=32050

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html

If anyone else is experiencing this and clearing your cookies/cache does not help, can you please try another browser on the same computer and see if that one works?

The more reports and detailed information I can get, the better.

Mercuria

I'm having this problem on my Android tablet using Chrome, on a Mac using Safari, and on a Windows machine using Firefox. I can try clearing cookies/other browsers on all 3 and testing again when the baby takes his nap (if it's long enough). I will also check to see if it matters if I'm signed in. It didn't on the Mac, but I'm always signed in on the other two.

I'd prefer not to clear all my cookies if I don't have to, though. Do you know if the forums use additional domains that have associated cookies?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There should not be any additional cookies unless your browser or service provider is doing something very unusual. For example, you should not be able to go to http://car-seat.org. That should be redirected to http://www.car-seat.org so that you don't get separate cookies that would cause unusual behavior.

I think you can delete individual cookies without deleting the rest. You would have to google search on deleting specific cookies for the browser and operating system you are using if you don't already know how to do this.

This could also be related to the cache done at the server level. I'm not sure what changes can be made for this, so I need as much information as possible from those affected to pass along to the service provider in a ticket to see if they have a possible solution.

Mercuria

Thanks!

I'm a software engineer, and I worked tech support in college, so I understand. I will try to work up a full problem description when I have the time. I was really just hoping that it was a known bug, and that the fix just hadn't been pushed out yet :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Right- I just haven't had enough reports yet to have enough information to give to tech support. Plus, a lot of times people fix the issue one way or another and don't report back, so I never know what resolved it. Isolated issues with this sort of thing are almost always cookie or browser cache related, but I've had a handful of reports in the last few weeks making me think it could be partially related to something on the server side.

I have something else I can try also, but I need to make sure there won't be any unintended negative consequences first.

Mercuria

Baby's not napping yet, but I tried a quick sandbox test on the tablet, and the problem doesn't show up (logged in or not), so it's probably a client-side problem. I'll report back when I've tested clearing cookies.

Mercuria

Removing just the cookie named "bbthread_lastview" (belonging to this site), seems to have fixed the problem, though I obviously can't tell you if it was causing the problem by itself, or in tandem with something else. I'll look into it more if the problem returns.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC