Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

What to get while waiting for Foonf

Can anyone make a recommendation on what seat i should get? I need to buy it tomorrow and i'm thinking i should just buy the cheapest one for now and use it for a month or so while i wait for the Foonf.

What are everyone elses thoughts? Should i spend a little bit more and get a better seat or buy the cheapest possible? What seat would you get if you were waiting for a foonf?

My dd is currently 20-21 lbs and the weight limit on her infant seat is 22lb so i need a new seat ASAP.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Do you travel frequently? If so, I'd get something lightweight like an Evenflo Titan or Cosco Scenera. Is your Zellers still open? You could check there for something on clearance. Or if you have a second vehicle you might want something more mid-range like a True Fit or Graco My Ride.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

4. Thank You from:

Re: What to get while waiting for Foonf

We do travel quite often. Also i do have a second car but have never taken my daughter in it.

If you travel, I'd go with a lighter seat for sure. I personally prefer the Titan to the Scenera because I don't usually need a pool noodle for a RFing Titan while I almost always do with the Scenera.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    If you travel, I'd go with a lighter seat for sure. I personally prefer the Titan to the Scenera because I don't usually need a pool noodle for a RFing Titan while I almost always do with the Scenera.
    are your rear seats flat or angled? what car is it that you need a noodle for the Scenera? I'll be installing this into a 2011 Acura MDX

I find that I need a noodle for just about any vehicle with a RFing Scenera, honestly. I don't personally own one, but I've installed lots of them, although never in an MDX. Hopefully someone with more experience in that vehicle will come along.

I just jam it into the seat back.

10. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judi View Post
    Yeah, me too. Sometimes it doesn't work on really firm leather, and you might not want to on really nice leather, but generally I don't need a noodle. I stand behind it, wedge it down and back with my pelvis, and it doesn't move a millimetre.
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

Quote Originally Posted by Judi
    That's what I do in my car. If I put a pyramid of noodles at the seat bite, they slide right out. :P

Katri »» Mom, Infant Teacher and CPST
    Elias »» 6.5 years old, harness in my car, booster in his father's car

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelated

Yeah, me too. Sometimes it doesn't work on really firm leather, and you might not want to on really nice leather, but generally I don't need a noodle. I stand behind it, wedge it down and back with my pelvis, and it doesn't move a millimetre.
    I'm bad at wedging seats in like that. . I've tried it a few times and it never works for me. I've also had a parent come back once after my wedging attempt didn't work and their seat was unreclined so now I generally offer the noodles.

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Yeah, I find I need a noodle the same rate pretty much with the Titan and the Scenera.

That being said, the Acura MDX has fairly sloped seats, and bolsters that would probably prevent the seat from being squished in to the upholstery much. Most of the MDX's I see have a leather interior as well, and I wouldn't want the edge of a scenera against the leather.

How old is your daughter right now? Based on her weight I'm guessing she's in the range of 10 to 15 months old, but that's just a pure guess. The reason I'm asking, is that as kids get older, it becomes more common for them to start riding in both vehicles with greater frequency. I think I'd choose a seat that you have the ability to use as a seat in your 2nd vehicle long term. Depending on what your price point is like, the Complete Air should be easy to install without getting too heavy. If you want to spend less, then the Guide 65 or Cruise Air 65 are going to give you longer growing room than the Titan and Scenera. The install on the guide 65 and cruise air 65 is identical, just one has complete air technology in the head area and one doesn't.

The guide 65/cruise air 65 really isn't much heavier than a scenera, and so far as rf'ing install it's going to take up less room than the Scenera. So that might be a better way to go long term.

Just something to think about if there's a chance that the 2nd vehicle is going to get used more as your daughter gets older.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

15. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by amyd

I'm bad at wedging seats in like that. . I've tried it a few times and it never works for me. I've also had a parent come back once after my wedging attempt didn't work and their seat was unreclined so now I generally offer the noodles.
    Like with other things, I think it depends on the vehicle. In my car, noodles are completely useless with the Scenera because they will literally slide right out. I have bucket seats, leather and no LATCH.

I think I've installed a Scenera only one other time. It was a newer Honda Odyssey and I'm quite certain that noodles were used.

Katri »» Mom, Infant Teacher and CPST
    Elias »» 6.5 years old, harness in my car, booster in his father's car

Yeah, I've had slippery noodle problems too. I need to learn this pelvis-wedging trick. Someday. When I'm not pregnant

OP, I was checking out Amazon.ca tonight and they have several convertible seats on there for decent prices (My Ride for $145, I believe)

I miss the Touriva. It was pool noodle friendly.

I second the Scenera ( on sale for $65 at walmart right now-- and a great travel seat) or the Guide
    Mama to Landon 5.13.03 in SK Montereys in LBB mode at 115 lbs/58" and Chase 4.17.09 in Radian XTs @ 37 lbs/40" and Lexi 9.12.11 in a Radian XT @23lbs/27"