Graco SnugRide 35 on an airplane

U

Unregistered

Hello everyone. We are going to be travelling by air over the holidays and we have purchased a seat for our 3-month-old so that we can keep him in his carseat. However, I am a bit concerned that the SnugRide 35 won't fit because it may be too wide. We are travelling on an Air Canada domestic flight. The plane model is an E90 according to Air Canada's website. The plane's seats are 18" wide and the SnugRide is 18.5" according to the Graco website. I'd really like to avoid having to buy another carseat if I can avoid it since we have already paid for an extra ticket. Has anyone travelled on a domestic AC flight and successfully installed this seat? I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't be a problem if I can just raise the armrests and then belt the seat in, but I'm not 100% sure that this plane model's armrests will raise up though I can't recall being on a plane where that didn't happen. AC's policy also says the seat has to fit between the armrests so I don't know if the armrest has to be down. Any insight/advice you may have would be greatly appreciated!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's great that you bought a seat!!

The Snugride will fit just fine. I'd practice installing it baseless as that will make it fit better front to back, and it's easy to install without the base. Just raise the armrest (the exit row -- where you're not allowed anyway -- and the bulkhead rows don't have moveable armrests) and it'll fit just fine.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Just as a follow-up, in case anyone Googles this in the future, the carseat fit fine, even with the armrest down (though I moved it up for more room). The person in front had about an inch of room to recline. After having done some reading online I was a bit apprehensive about how the airline staff would be, but I had no issues. No one asked about the seat at all on the way there (except to confirm that we had purchased a seat for it when I carted it on board). On the way back, we were asked to show the sticker on the carseat indicating it was airplane safe at the counter on check-in and when we boarded the flight attendant checked on us and gave us a short safety talk but that was it. The trip was relatively smooth sailing - safe baby, peace of mind for us, and free laps.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the update. I actually did find this through a google search and am feeling better about taking my Graco snugride on a United flight next month.

U

Unregistered2020

Another thank you for the update. I googled this and it’s March 2020 and I’ve found the answer and your update extremely helpful!

O

Oleg

Here are some instructions from the user manual of DLX 35:

This child restraint is certified for use in aircraft when used without the base. Use only on forwardfacing aircraft seats. Follow the instructions for vehicle installation. See sections 3-D and 6-E Lap Belt Installation. This child restraint’s base is NOT certified for use in aircraft.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC