Is there a reason the Monterey isn't on the blog's recommended list?

ADS

scariestone

In the newest batch yes. You can also call them if you have an "old" style back and they will send you a new one.

tam_shops

I'm not a fan of the lack of clarity w/ the instructions and/or side of the seat w/ regards to the head rest requirement. So, I now only suggest it if the person has a head rest.

They sent me a new back when I complained about the belt guide issues. I passed it along to a friend b/c mine was crashed before it arrived.

tam

Do you know when they began to make the new belt guide?
I have a canadian 2012 April seat and in my Sienna 3rd row, the belt does nt retract by itself.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
In the newest batch yes. You can also call them if you have an "old" style back and they will send you a new one.

Just for the record, Diono made it very clear to me recently that they will not send out replacement parts just because a consumer has the current version of the Monterey. They may offer a replacement part on a case-by-case basis if the consumer has an incompatibility that they can verify.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Frenchgirl said:
Do you know when they began to make the new belt guide?
I have a canadian 2012 April seat and in my Sienna 3rd row, the belt does nt retract by itself.

My seat is an April 2012 seat and had a belt that didn't retract. I called Diono( I'm in Canada btw) and was recently sent a new headrest. The fit isn't as good but I have no issues with it not retracting or falling out of the guide now.

canadiangie

My seat is an April 2012 seat and had a belt that didn't retract. I called Diono( I'm in Canada btw) and was recently sent a new headrest. The fit isn't as good but I have no issues with it not retracting or falling out of the guide now.

Is there any way you can post a picture of the new guides? Are they new-new or old-new? An actual 3rd generation of belt guides? How confusing.

And the fit isn't as good? Will you explain why? :)

Katy

I just got one from amazon with the goofy belt guide. Diono is sending me a new headrest, but for now they are out of stock :( They would not refund my money, and since I bought it with amazon credit I can't get a refund. Diono said I could use it without the belt guide. I can't because the fit isn't right.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Is there any way you can post a picture of the new guides? Are they new-new or old-new? An actual 3rd generation of belt guides? How confusing.

And the fit isn't as good? Will you explain why? :)

Yes. I posted elsewhere a picture of all three. I have an original Monterey, a new Diono(with the guide issues) Monterey and NOW the newest headrest. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=2366999#post2366999

Post #10 has the three images.

The guide is now farther out laterally as well as not buried in the headrest. My daughter is 50lbs and almost 7 so it is fine but I am not sure it would be that great if she was younger. Her shoulders are not that wide. Post #20 in the same link has a photo of her in the Monterey. I moved the headrest up one notch since but it still isn't perfect.

Athena

The guide is now farther out laterally as well as not buried in the headrest. My daughter is 50lbs and almost 7 so it is fine but I am not sure it would be that great if she was younger. Her shoulders are not that wide.

That is disappointing. I have a very narrow, tall kid, so most boosters are either too wide or won't last long enough by height. After finding out about this new replacement head piece, I was back to planning on getting her the Monterey (although I'm not in a big rush), but now I think it might be too wide for her. Ugghhh!

abbi_n_nadia

Is it bad if the belt doesn't retract very well? Does it affect the performance in a crash?

I don't have a Monterrey but we have our fr85 in booster mode in the 3rd row and it doesn't retract very well but when she gets in she pulls the belt tight and sort of feeds the belt through so it is snug on her shoulder (and I check to make sure while buckling the other 2 in) and she dosnt move out of position. She's almost 6 and very good at sitting still. I didn't realize this might be a problem til I saw all this talk about the Monterrey.

Baylor

For us, The seat belt stayed too far away from ds's body.. too much slack. I called them and they are sending a new headrest and said it is okay to use the seat without the belt guide for now. They are on back order but they will send it as soon as it arrives.

scariestone

For anyone interested, the new-old headrests are back in stock. We received ours a couple days ago. I can't say if it fixed our issues yet. With all the holiday hooplah I haven't had a chance to try it. :eek:

Phineasmama

They are supposed to be sending a new head rest for mine, but I haven't heard anything back after I gave them my address. I think I will email again on Monday and make sure they sent it.

Is it bad if the belt doesn't retract very well? Does it affect the performance in a crash?

I don't have a Monterrey but we have our fr85 in booster mode in the 3rd row and it doesn't retract very well but when she gets in she pulls the belt tight and sort of feeds the belt through so it is snug on her shoulder (and I check to make sure while buckling the other 2 in) and she dosnt move out of position. She's almost 6 and very good at sitting still. I didn't realize this might be a problem til I saw all this talk about the Monterrey.

I have the same question....
I called Diono on Friday to get a new headrest. But if the fit is better with the guide that doesn t retract by itself, I was considering keeping this belt guide. So, is there a safety issue with that if my DS feed the belt???

scariestone

I have the same question....
I called Diono on Friday to get a new headrest. But if the fit is better with the guide that doesn t retract by itself, I was considering keeping this belt guide. So, is there a safety issue with that if my DS feed the belt???

The danger is that the belt may not be tight against the child if a crash happens. Just from shifting around to get comfortable, more belt length can be pulled from the retractor and if it can't reel back in and an accident happen with a loose belt it may not protect the child as well. I think mostly the danger would be their upper body flying forward.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC