Outgrowing our high backs....safe to go backless yet?

libranbutterfly

Kamille is on the highest setting of our evenflo big kid and turbobooster. She will be eight in January. She rarely sleeps in the car, but we have to do lots of holiday traveling. She has ridden in the literider as a spare and does ok in it, but just not sure if she is ready to go backless full time. What high back boosters would you recommend? She rides mostly in the third row of my Plymouth expresso, but we will most likely be driving dhs chevy blazer for the holidays as my van is having trouble lately :( Needs to be three across friendly. Thanks :)

Sent from my VS920 4G using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

bubbaray

I'd put her in a backless. No question. There is no safety advantage to a highback statistically. My own 8yo rides in a LBB in my car. She still rides in a HBB in DHs truck because she sleeps in his vehicle lots and likes the wings.

ETA if you want a HBB, my DD is in a PW

babyherder

I wouldn't worry about her being in a backless. But if you want her in a highback I think that would be fine too. For holiday travels I'd probably try to get her a highback just for comfort but maybe she won't mind either way.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
My 9 year old still loves her Monterey, though not sure that it is very 3 across friendly. :) She has tried to go backless but has found she really prefers the high back in our main vehicle for those rare time she may fall asleep in the car.

libranbutterfly

Yeah, thats what I'm wondering about, long trips and such. If i can get something 3 across friendly for her to use this winter, then switch to backless, then lexi can use the new seat afterwards, her torso in only 1/2 inch shorter than kamille. Now to convince the hubby.... i need to figure out a seat to get the baby in the center of his car too, since we will be using it for holiday travel, and Lexi has outgrown the marathon. :(

Sent from my VS920 4G using Car-Seat.Org

bbartlettnfld

My 9 yr old, sits in a backless around town, but for long drives always prefers the back on because she car sleeps. She would never be able to stay in position with out the back on!

tiggercat

My daughter is about 6m younger and also getting too tall for the back on her Turbo. We've tried backless and while she does ok on short trips (and in the "novel" stage of doing something new), she has trouble sitting correctly for long trips. I am getting her a parkway SGL because the Monterey living in my basement is incompatible with my vehicle (forward jutting headrests, Monterey requires head support).
If I were you, I'd try out a backless and if she sits well, go for it. But be prepared that she might not sit properly without the physical reinforcement of the high back.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

flutie128

I have a parkway and monterey for DS but he rides in them backless right now. Over the summer he asked and at 8 I let him start riding backless. If we go on a long trip I will probably put the back on since he still fit but otherwise I feel he is safe in a backless.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
My dd had been BEGGING me to go backless forever so I think it was a surprise to both of us that she wanted the back put back on. She just could not get comfy when she was trying to fall asleep. :) She doesn't have a ton of time left in a high back so is going to have to figure it out eventually.

Shaunam

DS is 8 in January and I've already switched him. He still rides in a PW in grandma's car though because she doesn't have headrests and the seat backs are short. If you travel enough that it would be worth it, you could get something like a PW, otherwise backless is fine. I've trained DS to sleep sitting up in the backless. It CAN be done! And it's good anyway for when they ditch the booster entirely. They need to know how to sleep sitting up.

arly1983

I, too, have a DS that will be 8 in January and is in a backless. I never could find a HB that he fit in and that also fit in my 3-across. He doesn't sleep in the car, seriously ever. For a while he was in a literider but he needed more leg support. Finally, we found the cruz and now we have two.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC