Anyone have probooster or monteray? Some questions

Jnc91

Ok so were not quite ready for a booster but I like to think ahead. I'm most interested in the probooster and monteray. This would be a seat that would be a back up though(ds main seat is a fn85) so it should be friendly to move. I would love pics of both to see them in action. I'm leaning toward the probooster as long as the 2013 version has latch an not as tippy. Do both require headrests?

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I believe they both do, though that goes back and forth still with recaro...

I used to have a monterey with the OLD belt guides, so not sure if pics of it would help... but here's a recent one of Ruthie in her Probooster

(she didn't want her pic taken at the time... she loves the booster)

DSCN5088.jpg

and one from when we first got it
DSCN4493.jpg

Mags462

Monterey not tippy... I have one a like it - DS likes it, but it's not "perfect" IMO.... actually i dont think there is a booster out there that i think is a "10"..... The Monterey is a very well built seat and easy to take from 1 vehicle to another - its not floppy like the turbo at ALL. I would say you should consider the build of your child first and foremost. The Monterey tends to fit the wider/larger build children well but not the slight/thin ones. My DS is a super lightweight but he has square, broad shoulders so it fits him well. DS2 it does NOT fit well because of his slight build. The Probooster fits a broader range of kiddos IMO but i did find it to be tippy in my van so it was a no go for us. :(

Jnc91

Monterey not tippy... I have one a like it - DS likes it, but it's not "perfect" IMO.... actually i dont think there is a booster out there that i think is a "10"..... The Monterey is a very well built seat and easy to take from 1 vehicle to another - its not floppy like the turbo at ALL. I would say you should consider the build of your child first and foremost. The Monterey tends to fit the wider/larger build children well but not the slight/thin ones. My DS is a super lightweight but he has square, broad shoulders so it fits him well. DS2 it does NOT fit well because of his slight build. The Probooster fits a broader range of kiddos IMO but i did find it to be tippy in my van so it was a no go for us. :(

Thanks. Right now ds(4 yrs 4 months) is 43" and 40lbs. He tall and skinny. But due to his height it's not like he's petite. We won't booster AT ALL until 5 and then it's likely to be part time with dad and with friends/field trips. He will be harnessed until 6 with me(I have him 90% of the time).

clmchrissy

We recently just got the Pro Booster & really like it. Both my 5 year old & 8 year old are using them in my van 3rd row (for about 2 weeks now). The 8 yr old is outboard driver side and has had a few tipping issues, but nothing he cannot correct himself. Thankfully my 5 yr old had not experienced this. We tried the Monterrey when DS1 was 5 and he was just too narrow for it. The Pro Booster just fits both boys really well.

bbartlettnfld

My Monteray is floppy, lots of knee bruises here! :eek:

I find the Monteray to be better on Stocky kids. It gave skinny DD lots of side to side wiggle room, but great sleep support. She has since moved to a Parkway backless. She only uses the high back portion if we are on the highway. She is 9.

DS is almost 5, his main seat is a Nautilus but he frequently rides in the Monteray with full back now as its much easier to transfer in and out of the car as we do not currently own our own vehicle. Ds is almost 60 lbs and average height, very solid and stocky and he has no wiggle room in the Monteray it hugs him very well. Our Monteray is the Original with the tight belt guides.

Kat_Momof3

I agree.. we had the monterey for my son, who is built like a linebacker (aka, like his dad)... and has super broad shoulders... it was a 10 for him... with the old belt guides. I wish they hadn't tried to make it fit every kid... but they wanted that best bet rating on the IIHS testing... I really think it was better before that. The probooster is awesome for slimmer kids (Jeffrey would have just outgrown it in height when we got it for his sister, but he couldn't sit back into it because the wings don't expand and his shoulders don't fit), which makes it a 10 for HER... now she has such a long torso that her knees only JUST folded at the edge when we bought it for her... so the Vivo before that was her perfect booster as it has such a shallow seat... it isn't as tippy, but the probooster does not fit well in our third row height-wise, anyway, and I don't need it to like I did need the vivo to sometimes... Damian and Ruthie get along better now.

Ruthie is so narrow still in the shoulders that she doesn't get a good fit in a parkway, which has a narrow bottom but wide set shoulder guides... her brother would have done well in it except he might have run out of room for his booty.

Jeffrey was able to get a good fit in any backless booster as long as he was the right height for head support.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have both and like both. Honestly, if you are long ways off from a booster, I'd just sit back and wait. Who knows what the real changes are going to be to the probooster. If they fixed the tipping problem but kept the fit the same in addition to adding lower anchors, it would be GREAT. The tipping is a huge pain in the rear. However, the probooster is FAR easier to move than the monterey. The monterey is heavy and floppy. Not crazy floppy like the turbo but it can come apart when transported.

Phineasmama

I'm actually pretty interested in the ProBooster if they add latch...my DD is tall and skinny so it seems like it might be a good fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC