Rear Cam vs Rear Sensor?

TN Mary

For those of you who have these options, which is better?

I understand it's nice to have a visual on what you're backing into... but I also like the idea of hearing an audible BEEP from a sensor without needing to look down at a nav screen.

It would be nice to have a visual PLLUS an audible beep all at the same time.... so if you forget to look at your screen, you'll still be warned with a beep.

Any opinions?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Camera is better if the main purpose is avoiding children and pets.

Sensors work just as well for avoiding dings and scratches.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I think it all depends and ultimately I would want both. On my Sienna I had front and rear sensors *and* a little picture near my radio that would light up exactly which sensor was going off. This was AWESOME! In my mom's Range Rover it is only audible so you don't know if it is the front or the back and you don't know which side it is on...I really think it is pointless and would just keep it off in that case. In my MDX I have the backup camera which is great for kids, pets, and bike....heck even to see people coming up on the sidewalk (it is wide angle) when backing out of my driveway. But I don't like the look behind me, look in camera, look behind, camera jig because I feel like I constantly need to check both the camera and turn my head. With the sensors I didn't have to look I just had to listen then I could glance down to see which one and how close I was (1 line around sensor for so many feet up to 3 small lines to show you were within 3-5 inches). Oh and I used my front sensors way more then I used my rear sensors so if you have an option to get front and rear go for it.

chickenman

on some website i found a video of people testing the auidble alerts, and by no means was it perfect, i mean they showed in specific instances where kids were playing and grabbing a ball and it didnt go off, so to be able to see with your eyes to me seems better. if i can find the video i will post it.

Peony

In my Sienna I have both, plus the sensor shows me on my dash which area the sensor is beeping about. Having all of this, I still managed to back up into a very skinny streetlight a couple of months ago. :eek: The light was skinny enough and completely in my blind spot that I never saw it, and despite it being directly behind a sensor, it never went off until I heard the bumper hitting it. Of the two options, I much prefer the sensor over the cam, I find it awkard to look at the screen and backup, then again maybe had I looked at it, I wouldn't of hit a streetlight. :p

chickenman

to me i would look through the back window look at the screen to make sure i didnt miss anything then proceed to back out while looking through the back window, these are supplement systems, that is why in dmv tests they make sure you can back up in a straight line and you do it properly.

southpawboston

In my Sienna I have both, plus the sensor shows me on my dash which area the sensor is beeping about. Having all of this, I still managed to back up into a very skinny streetlight a couple of months ago. :eek: The light was skinny enough and completely in my blind spot that I never saw it, and despite it being directly behind a sensor, it never went off until I heard the bumper hitting it. Of the two options, I much prefer the sensor over the cam, I find it awkard to look at the screen and backup, then again maybe had I looked at it, I wouldn't of hit a streetlight. :p

this is why sometimes there is no substitute for good ol' manual neck cranning...

MySillyKids

I have sensors in the front and back, as well as the 'back up cam'. Its come in handy a couple of times.

I think the scariest is when you're at a stop light, and someone zooms SO close to you that the sensors go off LOL!

I still turn around, to watch what i'm doing, but once i get a 'line of sight' visual, i use the cam.

;)

I don't think sensors do much unless you have a habit of backing into poles or walls. In terms of safety to humans or animals, you want the cam. Sensors are basically useless for that.

I stuck the $100 wireless cam on the back of my truck. Not as good as the fisheye lenses they use on those factory things, but it's a cheap way to help me make sure I don't run over a kid while backing up.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
A tech recently inspired me to get one of these for my van:
http://www.rearlens.com/ The rear lens, along with a set of small round add-on adhesive mirrors that you can stick onto the existing side view mirrors, have greatly improved the rear view. :thumbsup: I had to stick the rear lens off to the side of my van's back window because DD1's Regent sticks up some in the center sight lines and blocks the rear lens if it's placed in the optimal lower center spot on the rear window. But it does show me a lot more up close to the rear bumper and off to the sides than without the rear lens. :thumbsup: It's workable with vehicles whose rear windows are fairly vertical and almost flush with the rear bumper, not for pickups or cars with trunks (unless you want a view of the trunk lid or truck bed for some reason ;)).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have an 11x14 static cling version. It's useful, but not nearly as nice as a camera view. On the other hand, it was $15 at the local RV store so what the heck?

southpawboston

the wide angle mirrors that you can stick on your side mirrors are helpful too, but more for seeing in your blind spot than for backing up. i wouldn't mind trying out the cling version for the back window since we street park all the time.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The fresnel is less useful than I thought it would be, but it does improve your field of view quite a bit.

The Pep Boys $2 wide angle that sticks on to my side mirror is great. Completely eliminates the blind spot on the minivan.

southpawboston

The fresnel is less useful than I thought it would be, but it does improve your field of view quite a bit.

The Pep Boys $2 wide angle that sticks on to my side mirror is great. Completely eliminates the blind spot on the minivan.

i was thinking in terms of preventing bumper "kissing". maybe it wouldn't work.

i think i have the $2 wide angles from pep boys. some cars come with mirrors that have a wide angle built into the them at the far outer edge. i know BMW and volvo have them. the mirror actually curves around the outer edge to widen the field of view, but i'm not certain that it improves the blind spot. then again volvo has an actual sensors (like the backup sensors) mounted in the doors that signal to you when someone is in your blind spot. :thumbsup:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yup, I figured for the reasonable price vs. a significantly more expensive aftermarket or factory-equipped rear view camera, it wouldn't be quite as good to get the rear lens, but probably the next best thing. I can see more details of tail gating vehicles and read their front license plates or i.d. their hood ornaments in case they rear end me. :whistle: For parallel parking, if I knew how to do it properly, lol, I can see how it would be useful for judging space between bumpers. :twocents: Darren's R.V. store purchase is a good way to acquire a rear lens for a lower price. :thumbsup:

BRU sent a new catalog today that had a backup mirror by K Source. Attaches to your back window and points down. $40. Looks like another interesting option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC