Helping at a Check

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Ok---so there's this Family Fun and Safety Day on Saturday am. An insurance company is putting it on. I saw it in the paper and called the phone number to the insurance company. I asked if I could come and help the techs---like be a scribe for them or something. I explained that I will be taking the tech class at the end of Oct.

Well I guess she thought I wanted the techs working the check to certify me---I said they can't do that it's a 4 day course--yadda, yadda, yadda. She told me I was welcome to come out and watch the techs.

So anyway--I went back and reread the blurb below the pic of a prior seat check.(The pic was of my neice, btw.) I read where the techs are from, so now I can call their agency directly.

I would like to help at the check. What should I ask them to do? Scribe, help parents with paperwork? I can't lift over 20 pounds. Also should I ask if they promote ERF, EH and 4 and 40 for a booster, 5 step test?

I'm in MD and our laws are 1 and 20 to FF and 6 and 40 to be out of a seat.

Now I know you can't make a parent do more than the law--but I want to know if they at least educate.

Susan

ADS

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
"So anyway--I went back and reread the blurb below the pic of a prior seat check.(The pic was of my neice, btw.) I read where the techs are from, so now I can call their agency directly.

I would like to help at the check. What should I ask them to do? Scribe, help parents with paperwork? I can't lift over 20 pounds. Also should I ask if they promote ERF, EH and 4 and 40 for a booster, 5 step test?"

My suggestion is to call and ask what you can do to help, and then do whatever they'd like you to do. If they don't have anything for you to do, ask if you can just observe...and then do just that, observe. I dunno, if you call them and start questioning them it might be a turnoff and they might get worried about having you there. Give them the benefit of the doubt that they follow the curriculum. As far as scribing, I personally don't like to have a scribe, and prefer to do my own documentation. When you get certified, you can take a different approach, but until then, I'd let them do their thing and run the show.

:twocents:

R.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Thanks--I'm going to try to get at least one of my cousins to come out to the check. She was due on the 18th and I don't know if she had her baby. I know she was really upset about me losing Ethan...and I really want to do everything I can to protect her from losing her son.

Susan

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Call and ask. I helped at checks before I was certified and I was able to scribe and just generally help out.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Well, I helped take them out and looked for the stickers on them. I might have helped install in a minimal way--we make the parents install, anyway.

It was worth it to go, though, to see how a seat check works in my area.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC