Question seat for 3year old

Dani_mummy

D1 is 3years old in RXT and just turned FF three months ago when D2 was born. D1 is just over 30lbs and 36". D2 is currently in Graco snugride32 and 3 months old. D1 went FF as RXT can only fit RF in the centre of our 09 Mazda Tribute without front passenger being mushed into the dashboard, even with the angle adjuster I didnt have enough room.
The snugride is going to expire at the end of this year. I am planning to put D2 in the RXT in the centre and looking for a narrow harness to booster for D1.
Does Frontier puzzle well beside RF RXT?
I did consider buying another RXT and when D1 outgrows harness go to a low back booster. I figure she will fit the RXT harness until atleast 6/7 years.
Any suggestions?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would probably keep D1 in the radian and find an infant/child seat that will fit rf'ing behind the passenger. The Tribute isn't that small, it's just a matter of finding a more compact front-to-back seat than the Radian.

I'd suggest trying the complete air behind the passenger seat with it installed at the more upright recline that kids who are at least 22lbs and able to sit unassisted can use. I've had it puzzled beside a Radian as well as a Nautilus before in my Saturn Astra, and the Astra is quite a bit narrower than the Tribute. (I also don't think I could have a Radian comfortably installed behind the driver and be able to drive. I could do that with both the My Ride and the Complete Air - although my husband couldn't drive with them there. He was comfortable as a passenger though with the Complete Air behind him. Again, the Astra is going to have less front-to-back space in the backseat than the Tribute, so it should fit easily for you.)

My combo was ff'ing Radian and rf'ing Complete Air, but if you wanted to rf your 3yr old again it may work.

So far as harness height goes, the Complete Air actually gives more growing room by harness height than what the Radian does. By the time you actually are boostering D1, you should be able to find a high-back booster that will work in the outboard seating position - or you may find that you can have one child in each outboard seating position.

Hope this helps in terms of ideas anyways. If the Complete Air doesn't work, you can try a Guide 65 or a Cruise Air 65. Both of those are much smaller front-to-back. The only downside is that their top harness height is only 17" so they'll be outgrown sooner than a Radian or a Complete Air - but so far as front-to-back compactness goes, they will fit in to pretty much any spot where an adult would be able to sit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC