favorite minivan for 2 or 3 kids?

V

VanIsleMommy

don't love kia, would consider a hyundai though. my mom had an oldschool hatchback hyundai her dad gave her when he stopped driving and it had a choke and everything, it was the first car I learned to drive in and it was awesome so... I have some hyundai love :love:

any thoughts on the nissan quest?

ADS

rosey2007

VanIsleMommy said:
don't love kia, would consider a hyundai though. my mom had an oldschool hatchback hyundai her dad gave her when he stopped driving and it had a choke and everything, it was the first car I learned to drive in and it was awesome so... I have some hyundai love :love:

Hyundai bought Kia a few years ago.

canadiangie

The Hyundai Entourage was last made in 09, but the Kia Sedona (identical twin to Entourage) continues to be a part of the Kia line-up. I would absolutely (read: top of my list) look at one if I was considering a van. I would not spend 35+k on an Ody, and Toyota lost their mind with the re-design. The GC's TA nonsense irritates me beyond words (read: no thank you) and the Quest doesn't do it for me. I know that perception about Kia is hit and miss with people, but my personal take is that Kia/Hyundai has really stepped it up over the last 5-10 years -- its no longer a cheapo budget brand. Awesome warranty, solidly made, and great prices. My suggestion is that you at least go check a Sedona out. :)

V

VanIsleMommy

really! I didn't know they were the same now. Yes Hyundai has stepped up their game ever since the Tiburon (that was my dream car as a teen LOL). That would explain why Kia's are so much more pricey now!

I will go peek at some today.

YinzerMama

The Hyundai Entourage was last made in 09, but the Kia Sedona (identical twin to Entourage) continues to be a part of the Kia line-up. I would absolutely (read: top of my list) look at one if I was considering a van. I would not spend 35+k on an Ody, and Toyota lost their mind with the re-design. The GC's TA nonsense irritates me beyond words (read: no thank you) and the Quest doesn't do it for me. I know that perception about Kia is hit and miss with people, but my personal take is that Kia/Hyundai has really stepped it up over the last 5-10 years -- its no longer a cheapo budget brand. Awesome warranty, solidly made, and great prices. My suggestion is that you at least go check a Sedona out. :)

What is the GC's TA nonsense?

Agree Toyota lost their minds. Have said it myself. Those exact words LOL. I am amazed they are still coming in as #1 in the minivan market. It's still a good van but addresses the needs of a different population.

I also would absolutely consider a kia if you want new and only want seating for 7. I think the back row will not be as comfy as the new Ody (the Ody has a ridiculous comfortable 3rd row) but what you get for the money is impressive. And I think it doesn't have the weird slope to the 3rd row the CG has.

Personally I'd not be comfortable buying an ody with 100k on it. Or any car for that matter. I know honda and toyota can both go much longer but holy cow... unless it's really cheap I'd want to be sure to get more life out of it.

V

VanIsleMommy

I haven't seen any used hyundai vans within 75km of here, but I'm keeping an eye out.

Went and test drove a dodge caravan today, I don't know how it is for car seats to install but what is the top anchor issue? Anything else I should be aware of?

Phineasmama

I haven't seen any used hyundai vans within 75km of here, but I'm keeping an eye out.

Went and test drove a dodge caravan today, I don't know how it is for car seats to install but what is the top anchor issue? Anything else I should be aware of?

What model year? The only issue I am aware of is that most of them only have 3 top tether anchors. One in the 3rd row and one on each captains chair (or 2 on the small 2nd row bench). So if you have more than 3 kids who need top tethered seats you can run into issues.

Other than that...I haven't really had any problems with harnessed seats. Frontier, ProSport, Nautilus all install fine. Rear facing convertibles tend to install rather upright in my experience because the vehicle seats are so sloped/angled. The Radian works really well, and so does the Pria because they recline so far. But it's not like you can't use any other convertibles, they might just be more upright. I'd imagine the MyRide would work nicely as well, but I don't have one to try out.

For boostering it's not so great, but there are some that will work in there as long as you can put the boostered child in the captains chair. The 3rd row outboard positions are pretty bad for boosters. Except *maybe* the Kiddy Cruiserfix pro I'm pretty sure I heard someone on here saying it worked back there.

canadiangie

Nonsense..

1 TA 3rd row, off centre.

3rd row pretty bad with boosters.

I can't decide which issue would bother me more. In the long run I think the funky seatbelt geometry for boosters would worry me the most.

OP, the Hyundai Entourage is going to be hard to find. But the Kia Sedona shouldn't be hard at all.

V

VanIsleMommy

ahhh... I don't think the TA would be an issue for us. most of ds's friends are already boostered (DS is still RF LOL), I've got a wee one RF that will also ride RF for the next 4 years, by then DS would be in a booster. that would still leave a rear spot for a noob if we have one.

is it annoying and poorly planned? yep I'll agree with you there!!! I'm looking at 2010 or newer.

I actually got DH *IN* a minivan, AND he took it for a test drive even. He's coming around. Slowly. Now we have to talk to the bank... we might be buying a new house this week :love: but that's going to mean a tiiiiiiight budget.

Phineasmama

It's not that bad if you have an older kid in the center of the 3rd row, my 5 year old DD is back there and she can buckle herself in. By the time she actually needs to be boostered then DS will be able to buckle himself in the Frontier back there.

And then by the time DS *needs* to be in a booster (my kids are tiny apparently!) baby DD will be able to buckle herself in the FR85 in the 3rd row, and I can have two booster riders in the captains chairs.

canadiangie

It's not that bad if you have an older kid in the center of the 3rd row, my 5 year old DD is back there and she can buckle herself in. By the time she actually needs to be boostered then DS will be able to buckle himself in the Frontier back there.

And then by the time DS *needs* to be in a booster (my kids are tiny apparently!) baby DD will be able to buckle herself in the FR85 in the 3rd row, and I can have two booster riders in the captains chairs.

I have to chuckle at that ^ because it sounds more like 'making it work' in some un-kid friendly SUV than a kid hauling van.

As long as OP knows the limitations of the 3rd row, then have adder. :)

I'm biased because I work with a lot of families and have to regularly explain that no, they cannot safely put their 6 and 7 year olds back there in backless boosters. Nope, sorry, your kid hauling van can't safely accomodate that. Let's move your school aged children who aren't with you all day long to the 2nd row, and move your toddler and infant to the 3rd row. Handy dandy..

Phineasmama

Hey I'm not arguing that for such a popular "family" vehicle they need to re-think their setup. Not arguing that at all.

But I couldn't afford an Odyssey or Sienna. We were about to declare bankruptcy and needed a vehicle that would be safe for our 3 kids and have enough room for cargo, etc. We were seriously limited on financing and any other options, and had finally found a dealership that could work with us, so we were working with the inventory they had.

And we need it to last for a long time, which is why we didn't think that getting another van that might be more popular or more car seat friendly but would be MUCH older and have tons more mileage, was a good idea.

So depending on the situation, yes I think the Dodge/Chrysler vans can absolutely be a good option. I don't feel like I'm "making it work" at all, it's actually a very convenient setup. You wanna talk about making it work, I can moan and complain all freaking day about how annoying my CR-V is.

I can easily have two extended rear facers in the captains chairs, and have the small portion of the 3rd row bench stowed so that my oldest can get in the back to her Frontier (very easily I might add), and I have also stowed all the seats in order to haul things before. It works GREAT for my family. DH had a vasectomy, and there will never be a baby #4, so I am not worried in the slightest at the few limitations it does have. And the OP is not someone who is going to be moving her 4 year old to a LBB in the 3rd row as soon as the garage sale AOE 3 in 1 is outgrown, so I think it would be totally fine for her situation as well ;)

canadiangie

As I said, as long as OP knows the limitations of the 3rd row (and keep in mind we're in Canada where top tethering is mandatory and children cannot legally use a booster until 40 solid pounds) then go for it. The fact that OP came back and needed verification on the 3rd row stuff told me that maybe it was in fact news to her that, for example, she won't be able to just throw any booster back there for ds's friend and have good belt fit. She can't follow best practice and have ds ff and ds's ff buddy harnessed back there, either, just in case the need for that ever arose. I'm big into knowing what you're getting before you sign on the dotted line. I work with way to many post 2011 Sienna families whose jaws are on the keyboard when I email them back and say no, their 35k van cannot accomodate two harnessed children in the 3rd row. And trust me, I'm not anti budget friendly vehicles. I'm the one that suggested the Kia for heaven's sake. I get it. Not everyone can afford an Ody or Sienna, and that's more than fine with me. With the right game plan a GC can work. It's just really funny to me that you need a game plan at all.

Last edited:

Harmony96

As I said, as long as OP knows the limitations of the 3rd row (and keep in mind we're in Canada where top tethering is mandatory and children cannot legally use a booster until 40 solid pounds) then go for it. The fact that OP came back and needed verification on the 3rd row stuff told me that maybe it was in fact news to her that, for example, she won't be able to just throw any booster back there for ds's friend and have good belt fit. She can't follow best practice and have ds ff and ds's ff buddy harnessed back there, either, just in case the need for that ever arose. I'm big into knowing what you're getting before you sign on the dotted line. I work with way to many post 2011 Sienna families whose jaws are on the keyboard when I email them back and say no, their 35k van cannot accomodate two harnessed children in the 3rd row. And trust me, I'm not anti budget friendly vehicles. I'm the one that suggested the Kia for heaven's sake. I get it. Not everyone can afford an Ody or Sienna, and that's more than fine with me. With the right game plan a GC can work. It's just really funny to me that you need a game plan at all.

I went back and read the thread and didn't see any more info on this, but i could have missed it. Can you elaborate?

canadiangie

I went back and read the thread and didn't see any more info on this, but i could have missed it. Can you elaborate?

Siennas made after 2011 offer 1 tether anchor in the 3rd row that is off centre towards the middle. In the US where top tethering is optional I guess this can work (tether one kiddo and not tether the other if you have two kids back there), but in Canada you must top tether a ff harnessed seat, and so things can get complicated rather quickly depending on the ages and stages of children.

YinzerMama

Siennas made after 2011 offer 1 tether anchor in the 3rd row that is off centre towards the middle. In the US where top tethering is optional I guess this can work (tether one kiddo and not tether the other if you have two kids back there), but in Canada you must top tether a ff harnessed seat, and so things can get complicated rather quickly depending on the ages and stages of children.

In the old Siennas they had 2 tethers but one was in the middle and one was on the outboard passenger side so even then it could be tight/hard/impossible to do 2 harnessed kids. For most car seats, realistically, there may as well have only been one tether (I could NOT get two frontiers to work, tethered, back there - was I doing it wrong? I know there are narrower seats but still)

I still think it was a dumb move to cut one out. They could have moved one over, if they didn't want to be extra awesome and actually add a third. It still would have been an improvement.

But hey who needs tethers when you have 14 cupholders?

Phineasmama

canadiangie said:

Which is exactly why I mentioned the booster limitations...

I had a FR85 latched in the middle position, and Blvd FFing on the passenger side with seat belt install and they fit next to each other just fine. Sure it's not optimum to have an untethered seat but for occasional rides with a friend or using a seat that performs well untethered it's not the end of the world. For the US peeps anyways.

I still plan on getting the Durango tethers to retrofit and then I'll have 3 anyways. Woohoo.

canadiangie

Which is exactly why I mentioned the booster limitations...

I had a FR85 latched in the middle position, and Blvd FFing on the passenger side with seat belt install and they fit next to each other just fine. Sure it's not optimum to have an untethered seat but for occasional rides with a friend or using a seat that performs well untethered it's not the end of the world. For the US peeps anyways.

I still plan on getting the Durango tethers to retrofit and then I'll have 3 anyways. Woohoo.

Yes, OP is in Canada.

Did you see that Chrysler has approved the retro-fit on GC's made prior to 08 only, and not ever with Stow n' Go? It's interesting that they are saying no to adding anything to the new body style 3rd row. They must know something about .. something to put the halt on for anything 08 and newer, and specifically no to seats that can be stowed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC