Anyone seen the Peg convertible yet?

biddyk8

The fuchsia and black was def announced for the US version on their facebook and I think I seen it on the website aswell. So I think it will follow for the Canadian one.

I seen the brown leather its a really nice chocolatey colour but I don't know many seats it won't clash with.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I met up with biddyk8 today and had a chance to go through the Peg seat.

I have one major complaint about it, and I think it is going to require some clarification from Peg. The manual requires that the crotch buckle be moved to the inner position when the seat is used with a child weighing less than 22lbs. But when the crotch buckle is moved to that inner position, it would have been nearly impossible to buckle up with kiddo in the seat. For those of you who have seen the pictures that were posted, moving the crotch buckle to the inner position results in the crotch buckle not even fully sticking out of the padding surrounding it.

One other issue that I'm not sure if it's been run in to in the US or not, is that the rf'ing belt path is not very large. This particular vehicle has a cinching latchplate in the center seating position, and it's a chunky cinching latchplate. The latchplate was large enough that it would only fit through one side of the belt path and not the other. This might make for seatbelt incompatibilities in vehicles that have chunky cinching latchplates, or in the cases of the lap belts which are really chunky locking latchplates, they may not fit through either. (The lap belt latchplates are generally narrower - but they're often taller.)

One other point of interest, is that the seat has lock-offs for ff'ing use, but specific instructions about when they can and can't be used. They're also not considered true lock-offs and the seatbelt either needs to still be locked, or else a locking clip has to be ordered from Peg if a seatbelt is ELR only.

Overall it's a nice seat, but for parents who have older babies that aren't yet 22lbs, I think that crotch buckle rule is an issue that is going to leave parents in the position of deciding what to do.

canadiangie

I met up with biddyk8 today and had a chance to go through the Peg seat.

I have one major complaint about it, and I think it is going to require some clarification from Peg. The manual requires that the crotch buckle be moved to the inner position when the seat is used with a child weighing less than 22lbs. But when the crotch buckle is moved to that inner position, it would have been nearly impossible to buckle up with kiddo in the seat. For those of you who have seen the pictures that were posted, moving the crotch buckle to the inner position results in the crotch buckle not even fully sticking out of the padding surrounding it.

One other issue that I'm not sure if it's been run in to in the US or not, is that the rf'ing belt path is not very large. This particular vehicle has a cinching latchplate in the center seating position, and it's a chunky cinching latchplate. The latchplate was large enough that it would only fit through one side of the belt path and not the other. This might make for seatbelt incompatibilities in vehicles that have chunky cinching latchplates, or in the cases of the lap belts which are really chunky locking latchplates, they may not fit through either. (The lap belt latchplates are generally narrower - but they're often taller.)

One other point of interest, is that the seat has lock-offs for ff'ing use, but specific instructions about when they can and can't be used. They're also not considered true lock-offs and the seatbelt either needs to still be locked, or else a locking clip has to be ordered from Peg if a seatbelt is ELR only.

Overall it's a nice seat, but for parents who have older babies that aren't yet 22lbs, I think that crotch buckle rule is an issue that is going to leave parents in the position of deciding what to do.

The other day I worked with a family whose 9 month old still needed a crotch roll in her Peg infant seat, so your comment about the Peg Convertible having more than one slot and it being too close or too short and it being mandatory kind of makes me chuckle. Hey Peg, can we get that itty bitty slot position on the crotch of your infant seat, too?

I knew about the weirdo lock-off rule.

Didn't know you need to actually order an LC if the belt requires one. Good to know.

And good to know about the little belt path.

Meeting Peg Convertible is on my to-do list. :)

canadiangie

Apparently it's coming in black and FUCHSIA! I was shown it at a store, on a U.S. web site, which I thought was Peg's but now I can't seem to locate it there...anyway, the Canadian order book showed that this colour was also going to be available here. I've asked for the info to be confirmed and possible date for the new colour and when I find something out I'll post.

I wanted to look at the manual before purchasing and it seems the Canadian manual is not available online. So I downloaded the U.S. manual to take a look. I noticed that in the U.S., the seat needs to be installed between 40°-45° when RF. In Canada, the manual said between 35°-45° for RF.

Oh, and the leather versions are NICE! Super classy. The Paloma is super pretty but clashes with my leather colour in my vehicle. The black leather has white stitching around the outer edges. Very nice. I didn't see the brown.

Is it wrong that I'm not buying this seat yet because I don't like any patterns?

Bring me Fushia, Peg! :love:

snowbird25ca

The other day I worked with a family whose 9 month old still needed a crotch roll in her Peg infant seat, so your comment about the Peg Convertible having more than one slot and it being too close or too short and it being mandatory kind of makes me chuckle. Hey Peg, can we get that itty bitty slot position on the crotch of your infant seat, too?

Meeting Peg Convertible is on my to-do list. :)

LOL - I said the same thing about wishing they had that position in their infant seats and how it was funny that their infant/child seat had it but not their infant seat.

It is a nice seat. I just wish there was some flexibility in the manual regarding the crotch buckle. I'm sure biddyk8 can attest to just how short it is... great for an itty bitty - but not great for a bigger baby.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks for the crotch buckle info Trudy. I looked at the U.S. manual and it appears the seat ships in the outermost buckle position, and from where it was on the seat I saw today, I'd say it was also in the outermost position. The manual of course shows the buckle coming up perfectly over the infant padding, and then the extra piece going around the neck with the buckle sticking out just right...sounds like it doesn't work like that in real!

I'm thinking TechnoBaby won't be 22# when I need the seat in a couple months. She'll be a year then and she's around 19# now. So you're thinking I might have issues with the buckle? Frick. Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll make it to 22# before I need it.

Is it wrong that I'm not buying this seat yet because I don't like any patterns?

Bring me Fushia, Peg! :love:

Seriously, the leather ones are really nice. WAY nicer than they look on the web site. I wasn't wowed by the patterns either, but now if fuchsia wasn't an option, I'd totally dig the leather. But that fuchsia will look really good next to my Oobr ya know. ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Does it seem odd that the company would okay use without the infant insert under 22 lbs in the US, but not Canada? Any insight? The fit is horrible on my 19 lb. 1 year old, but great without (in the US).

Where is it stated that the seat can be used for infants under 22# in the U.S.? The U.S. manual states it must be used until 22#.

ETA: found it here http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2386159&postcount=2 So if they don't allow this in Canada, I guess that means testing was likely only done in the U.S.?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Serial posting...where are pics of the crotch buckle issue? Trudy mentioned there were some? I'm searching here and can't seem to come up with any pics of the seat at all except for what's in this thread. And the pic in this thread showing the buckle on the inner crotch position looks great and doesn't show an issue with the cute baby in the pic. :)

biddyk8

Serial posting...where are pics of the crotch buckle issue? Trudy mentioned there were some? I'm searching here and can't seem to come up with any pics of the seat at all except for what's in this thread. And the pic in this thread showing the buckle on the inner crotch position looks great and doesn't show an issue with the cute baby in the pic. :)

That would be because in that picture I have eh took the parental decision and left the buckle in the outer position. I didn't think to take a picture of it when we tried it earlier. It was so short we didn't even try the baby in it as it would never have worked.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
That would be because in that picture I have eh took the parental decision and left the buckle in the outer position. I didn't think to take a picture of it when we tried it earlier. It was so short we didn't even try the baby in it as it would never have worked.
Ohhhhhhh....see I thought you had it in the outermost position because there was another slit there but now I remember from seeing the seat that the slit I see is for the harness release lever and that is NOT the outermost crotch buckle slot...

*sigh* Going to have to get my friend to weigh her baby...

biddyk8

Ohhhhhhh....see I thought you had in the outermost position because there was another slit there but now I remember from seeing the seat that the slit I see is for the harness release lever and that is NOT the outermost crotch buckle slot...

I though the same about there being another slot. I think the short strap would maybe work without the padding but I don't see how any baby could sit comfortably with both at the sorta 18-22lb range.

snowbird25ca

I though the same about there being another slot. I think the short strap would maybe work without the padding but I don't see how any baby could sit comfortably with both at the sorta 18-22lb range.

I think even buckling it would be a giant effort.

Sorry I didn't think to take a picture of how short the crotch buckle sits when it's adjusted to the shorter/inner position.

The inner position might've been feasible if it wasn't for having to loop the bottom plate of the crotch buckle the way they want you to - it doesn't just go down like on most seats, it gets fed back up through the forward hole so it's shortened as well. I think the shorter length was more the problem than the inner position...

biddyk8

Just thinking with the seat belt not fitting through it, I think that means an airplane belt also probably wouldn't fit either? So it would only be usable FF on the plane?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Does the infant padding have to be removed at 22#? Or can you still use it and use outermost crotch strap position?

--Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

snowbird25ca

Does the infant padding have to be removed at 22#? Or can you still use it and use outermost crotch strap position?

I'm not sure on that one actually, hopefully biddyk8 can answer that one since she has the manual. :)

As for a plane seatbelt.. Good question. They had to do inversion testing for standards, and plane seatbelts are all pretty standard - so I would think they must've fit it through there? Maybe something different has to be done to make it fit though? I don't know. I didn't read the airplane installation section in detail.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
snowbird25ca said:
I'm not sure on that one actually, hopefully biddyk8 can answer that one since she has the manual. :)

Ya I'm irked the Canadian manual isn't online!

If you're checking for me biddyk8, can you also check if the Peg is allowed to touch a front seat? Or must there be space?

snowbird25ca

Ya I'm irked the Canadian manual isn't online!

If you're checking for me biddyk8, can you also check if the Peg is allowed to touch a front seat? Or must there be space?

The manual said not to brace the seat if I remember correctly.

I've talked to Dorel and Evenflo recently about touching with their infant/child and infant/child/booster seats, and both have said as long as the front seat doesn't affect the rf'ing seat - that is it doesn't press on it or shift it out of position, it's fine for it to just barely touch. (Provided the vehicle allows it anyways.)

The Evenflo infant seats are the only seats requiring a specific amount of space according to the manual. Otherwise your basic rule is that the front seat shouldn't press on the car seat unless otherwise allowed by the manufacturer.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The manual said not to brace the seat if I remember correctly.

I've talked to Dorel and Evenflo recently about touching with their infant/child and infant/child/booster seats, and both have said as long as the front seat doesn't affect the rf'ing seat - that is it doesn't press on it or shift it out of position, it's fine for it to just barely touch. (Provided the vehicle allows it anyways.)

The Evenflo infant seats are the only seats requiring a specific amount of space according to the manual. Otherwise your basic rule is that the front seat shouldn't press on the car seat unless otherwise allowed by the manufacturer.
Well this seat is out for me then. Due to the ARB it sets the seat further back and because it sits shifted to the driver's side in the centre, when the seat moves into DH's position, the right side of his seat presses into the Peg. The Peg doesn't move, but it dents into the side of his seat. I don't think I can get him to change his seating position anymore than he already has. He sits quite upright and is a bit closer than he likes even. He adjusted to fit convertible or infant seats behind him, but now that it has to be in the centre, it sits further forward than when in the outboard seats.

The vehicle is fine with it as the only air bag sensors for the driver's seat are distance sensors. It's the passenger side that nothing can press on.

And the Foonf pretty much touches my ceiling, renders the DVD player useless unless I want the DVD player *in* the seat and blocks the entire rear view of the driver. I thought that the view wouldn't be a huge deal since adult's heads, boosters and taller FF seats block views to, but the issue is with the Foonf sticking in between the seats you are not able to look around it like you are something that sits back against the rear seats (like humans and FF seats).

FRICK! I want to cry now.

Last edited:

Chila88

Techno....how much time do you have (sorry, I didn't read the thread right from the beginning). Can you wait for the Chicco convertible?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Techno....how much time do you have (sorry, I didn't read the thread right from the beginning). Can you wait for the Chicco convertible?

Say wha??? We're getting the Chicco convertible? When? I've got until January 2.

Anyone have a link handy to anything about this seat?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC