Anyone seen the Peg convertible yet?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
No doubt! I think Peg just took claim to the most expensive carseat available in Canada!

I can see paying $350 for it. It is in line with the quality of other high end brands from what I've seen. However, $600 is extreme... though with the marketing the seem to be doing for it, who knows... they might have surprising success.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have had people, especially of specific cultural backgrounds, come into checks with seats that grandparents/uncles etc. bought (without asking what they want) because it is the most expensive available and therefore a status symbol gift. I can see that happening... And Peg knows how to cater to this mindset.

snowbird25ca

I have had people, especially of specific cultural backgrounds, come into checks with seats that grandparents/uncles etc. bought (without asking what they want) because it is the most expensive available and therefore a status symbol gift. I can see that happening... And Peg knows how to cater to this mindset.

Yes, I can see that too. I also know that Peg has a reputation for being the safest infant seat, so some of that reputation is going to carry over in to their infant/child seat as the kids in the Peg infant seats start to outgrow them. It's interesting, I do prenatal classes a hand full of times throughout the year, and it's 1.5hrs just focused on the infant seat and questions/demo/etc. Invariably so far, every class has had about 85% of those who have already bought infant seats say they bought a Peg seat because it's the safest. I hadn't realized that Peg had that high of a reputation in their infant seats until I started doing these classes and heard the same thing over and over.

So I can see some people doing it - but I sure wouldn't pay $600 personally unless that fabric really does feel super amazing.

FrauDrA

Now regretting having driven past WCK yesterday and deciding to not stop in to 'play'!

And I can imagine that around here the status symbol draw would be significant. On the other hand, if it means all those kids in top-of-the-line SUVs will actually be in a suitable seat, I can appreciate it a little bit at least.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Now regretting having driven past WCK yesterday and deciding to not stop in to 'play'!

The $600 fabric model isn't out yet anyway. Only the regular fabric for $349 and leather for $399.

ETA: and I didn't update in this thread, but I did buy the seat. I own the Licorice (black leather). I'm still not sure if I'm going to run into problems with it fitting when DH drives as our vehicle was in the shop when I had to buy it, and is still in the shop now.

canadiangie

Yes, I can see that too. I also know that Peg has a reputation for being the safest infant seat, so some of that reputation is going to carry over in to their infant/child seat as the kids in the Peg infant seats start to outgrow them. It's interesting, I do prenatal classes a hand full of times throughout the year, and it's 1.5hrs just focused on the infant seat and questions/demo/etc. Invariably so far, every class has had about 85% of those who have already bought infant seats say they bought a Peg seat because it's the safest. I hadn't realized that Peg had that high of a reputation in their infant seats until I started doing these classes and heard the same thing over and over.

So I can see some people doing it - but I sure wouldn't pay $600 personally unless that fabric really does feel super amazing.

Have you ever sat through a boutique in-service with a Peg rep? (I don't mean chat with a Peg rep, I mean sit through a rep "selling" their seat to boutique staff). Ice to Eskimos I tell you. If even 50% of what the rep is teaching to the staff gets passed to customers it's no wonder why parents think Peg is "the safest". I still chuckle that up until 2011 there was no eps foam in the SIP headwings... Just fabric and padding over plastic. And it's not that I believe eps in headwings would make the seat safer - I have no idea if it would. But the irony of people thinking Peg's SIP and apparent "non recycled" plastic being safESt is really just a testament of the power of skilled reps, and word of mouth. "We had a peg, it's the best, you should get one too".

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'd actually never heard that about Peg seats. Probably because we haven't had designer baby brand seats here for all that long. Maybe only 6 years.

I thought people just bought them because they matched their P3 stroller (or whatever that popular Peg stroller is that I've used for a week and did not understand the appeal with it's creaky, little wheels). Or to fit that big, long, unwieldy, poor handling double stroller they used to have that only the Peg infant seats clipped into.

peg_prego_double_stroller_with_two_black_and_pink_peg_prego_car_seats_325_tuscaloosa_21380725.jpg

snowbird25ca

Have you ever sat through a boutique in-service with a Peg rep? (I don't mean chat with a Peg rep, I mean sit through a rep "selling" their seat to boutique staff). Ice to Eskimos I tell you. If even 50% of what the rep is teaching to the staff gets passed to customers it's no wonder why parents think Peg is "the safest". I still chuckle that up until 2011 there was no eps foam in the SIP headwings... Just fabric and padding over plastic. And it's not that I believe eps in headwings would make the seat safer - I have no idea if it would. But the irony of people thinking Peg's SIP and apparent "non recycled" plastic being safESt is really just a testament of the power of skilled reps, and word of mouth. "We had a peg, it's the best, you should get one too".

No, I haven't, but I can believe it. I have seen the effect that company reps doing in-services at BRU has and observed how sales of that particular brand jump in the weeks following the in-service, so it doesn't really surprise me when you phrase it that way.

I wonder what the rep will say about the infant/child seat - might lead to Britax having a real run-for-their-money with the boutiques?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

I have. I have also been to the Rep training sessions and you are 100% correct. But a good part of this reputation also comes from the 5 star customer service that the boutiques get from the reps. The reps don't just come a couple of times a year to do trainings and talk about new stuff, they are there about once a month, take any broken seats with them for inspection, fix any recalls, answer customer questions...

Remember when the new Peg base first came out and the belt guides pulled right out of the slots? I called the Lullaby Rep, he met me at the fitting station within the hour, made a few calls and got the seat tested with the detachable guides and got back to me with an interm ok to use the base as is while waiting for a fix. A month he was back with a permanent fix and personally contacted my client with the seat that started the process. It's easy to believe in the safety of a product when it is stood behind like that.

** Not saying I think it is the safest, just commenting on the marketing creating a certain perception.

snowbird25ca

I have. I have also been to the Rep training sessions and you are 100% correct. But a good part of this reputation also comes from the 5 star customer service that the boutiques get from the reps. The reps don't just come a couple of times a year to do trainings and talk about new stuff, they are there about once a month, take any broken seats with them for inspection, fix any recalls, answer customer questions...

Remember when the new Peg base first came out and the belt guides pulled right out of the slots? I called the Lullaby Rep, he met me at the fitting station within the hour, made a few calls and got the seat tested with the detachable guides and got back to me with an interm ok to use the base as is while waiting for a fix. A month he was back with a permanent fix and personally contacted my client with the seat that started the process. It's easy to believe in the safety of a product when it is stood behind like that.

** Not saying I think it is the safest, just commenting on the marketing creating a certain perception.

Wow, that's truly impressive!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
*sigh* Response from Peg below:

Thank you for contacting Peg Perego. In regards to your email, when the car seat is installed, it should be free and clear. The driver seat leaning on the seat is not recommended. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

I'm feeling a little deflated right now so I'm not likely to reply and ask about the crotch strap issue at this time.

And an update...after 40 days without my vehicle and having to buy the Peg convertible while my vehicle was in the shop without being able to test fit with DH around to adjust his seat.....it FITS! Our memory seat positions were gone when we got the vehicle back today so not sure if he is sitting just slightly different or if taking more time to install it (as opposed to the test in the store parking lot) made it work. But there's 1/16 of an inch between the side of his seat and the side of the Peg. :thumbsup:

This is because a UAS install is shifted towards driver. A seatbelt install wouldn't have had the worry of fitting but my middle seatbelt is a pain, I can't get anything tight with it. And I actually need it shifted so TechnoKid has room to buckle her Oobr.

And by the way, I love the seat but hate the UAS straps. The metal buckle is REALLY tight and they are VERY hard to tighten enough. I've installed it 5 times in 4 different vehicles and in only one vehicle was I able to do it alone on a very cushy van seat that I could do one side at a time because I could compress the vehicle seat a ton.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC