Recaro Euro/Proride questions (and a few comments)

christineka

I have a new Recaro Euro, attempted install and then read the manual. I have questions, but I think many are similar to that of the proride.

1. In the warning section it says to discontinue use after a severe crash. Later it says to discontinue use after any crash. Does recaro defer to the nhtsa replacement criteria, or replace after any crash?

2. There's an infant insert! Anyone ever try it? How is it? Will a smaller infant fit?

3. The manual says while ffing, if the child's head goes above the seat, you must have vehicle head support!

4. Does the latch belt go in front of or behind the crotch buckle when installing rear-facing? Does it go under or over the comfort foam?

5. When installing rfing with an elr belt, you must use a locking clip. If using a switchable retractor belt, do you have to switch the belt to lock mode?

6. Do you use one or both lockoffs? If one, which one?

7. The latch limit is 52 pounds. I knew that about the top tether, but is this for the lower anchors as well? (Assuming the vehicle's latch limit goes that high.)

8. Recaro calls the buckle tongues "latch plates"! How confusing!

9. I tried a lockoff and found it almost impossible to undo. Are there any tricks?

As a side note, I highly recommend that Recaro rewrite the manual. If I can't understand how to install with a seatbelt, I bet regular people can't either!

ADS

purplemama

I have a Euro and I'll answer what I can.

I have a new Recaro Euro, attempted install and then read the manual. I have questions, but I think many are similar to that of the proride.

1. In the warning section it says to discontinue use after a severe crash. Later it says to discontinue use after any crash. Does recaro defer to the nhtsa replacement criteria, or replace after any crash?

When I asked Carol at Recaro CS she said the nhtsa criteria.

2. There's an infant insert! Anyone ever try it? How is it? Will a smaller infant fit?

The bottom slots are pretty high, I don't think an average infant would fit even with the infant insert.

3. The manual says while ffing, if the child's head goes above the seat, you must have vehicle head support!

I'm not sure about this one, to me it's kinda like the whole booster/headrest controversey.

4. Does the latch belt go in front of or behind the crotch buckle when installing rear-facing? Does it go under or over the comfort foam?

Um, I have my Proride in RF with a seatbelt and it's behind the buckle. I *think* when I used latch it was behind also but I'm not sure. I have mine under the foam. I'm just more comfortable doing that.

5. When installing rfing with an elr belt, you must use a locking clip. If using a switchable retractor belt, do you have to switch the belt to lock mode?

Not a clue. Sorry.

6. Do you use one or both lockoffs? If one, which one?

I use the lockoff closest to where the seat belt buckles.

7. The latch limit is 52 pounds. I knew that about the top tether, but is this for the lower anchors as well? (Assuming the vehicle's latch limit goes that high.)

No clue.

8. Recaro calls the buckle tongues "latch plates"! How confusing!

Recaro is weird about some stuff.

9. I tried a lockoff and found it almost impossible to undo. Are there any tricks?

I push down a bit on the seat to slightly loosen the belt.

As a side note, I highly recommend that Recaro rewrite the manual. If I can't understand how to install with a seatbelt, I bet regular people can't either!

christineka

I got a reply back from Recaro and thought I'd post the answers in case any one else was confused about the recaro seats.

1. They go by nhtsa's replacement criteria, but also recommend parents to use their best judgement and err on the side of caution.

2. They are going to send me the infant insert. I'll have to find an infant to stick in the seat!

3. Belt goes between the child and crotch strap, under the foam.

4. They didn't really answer, but said since the top tether is not usually rated above 52 pounds, they say to switch to lap-shoulder belt because the shoulder belt acts as a tether. (Perhaps this means that if your vehicle has a top tether rated above 52 pounds, that you can still use it?)

5. Forward-facing, use the lockoff on the retractor side. You should always put the belt in lock mode. You don't have to use the lockoff if your belt locks.

6. Rear-facing, the belt guides that look like lockoffs have been removed for the latest revision of the seat. (My seat's dom is July 2012.) You can bypass the rfing belt guides that look like lockoffs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC