Question Radian XTSL

mlohry

So a fellow member and I swapped seats this weekend to try something different and I got a Radian XTSL. I am a self proclaimed, never going to like Radian because of all the bad publicity they gave themselves over the whole Superlatch issues. That whole thing put me off to the company in general. But I was still curious about the seat since my 3.8 year old all of a sudden seemed very squished RF in her S4me. The 1st day I used the XTSL, I was not impressed, i didn't trust it latched in our 05 Ody so used the seat belt, which was tough to get thru that little narrow tunnel, it was hard to tighten the harness with that ratcheting thing and I didn't like that there were no sides around DDs body, felt exposed as we've always had seats with some meat around them.

So today DD climbed into the seat on her own when I wasn't paying attention and sat down in it, something she has never even attempted because her seats all sit up on bases with high sides. Her legs have lots of space so buckling her in is easy. The ratcheting thing today helped me feel secure that I had gotten the harness tight enough and loosening the harness is a piece of cake in our van, I also like the beefy chest clip. Now I kind of love the seat...how'd that happen???

I guess one question I have is should I be afraid to use the latch on our 05 Ody? I know that our Ody had known issues of loosening. Should I take the risk or just keep using the seat belt? DD sits in a captains chair.

ADS

AshleyCPST

CPS Technician
i dont have any experience with one that loosens, we have a new RXT. i was a bit leery of the LATCH belt though and DD hasn't actually riden in it installed that way (just because its happened that way). i installed it with the connectors the 1st time and it was so tight i had to get my husband to flip the latchplate and it took him a good bit of force. so im not super worried about it with mine at this point. i have it outboard seat belt right now. try it out and if you dont like it or it loosens switch back to the belt :)

sawyer0575

I have an RXT in the Daytona cover and the seams starting under the headrest open with Velcro so you can pull the belt thru easier.

V

VanIsleMommy

the superlatch wasn't ever recalled and to my knowledge no kids have ever been harmed as a result of the superlatch issues. I have a radian with a superlatch that loosens and it is still less than 1" of movement at the belt path when it's loose. if you choose not to use the superlatch or can't get a tight install with it, you have the option of doing a seatbelt install, or you can call sunshine kids for a replacement latch strap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC