vehicle for 6-7 carseats?

6derlets

we're expecting our 6th child and wondering about which vehicles work best for 6+ carseats. we'd like to avoid the 12 passenger van as long as possible, but if we gotta, then we gotta...

currently we've got 6 seats in our 8 pass. odyssey. it works, but not easily. and we're beginning to need to put luggage on top of the van for road trips which is not our favorite.

it's quite possible that baby 6 won't be our last, but ya never know!

ADS

Kel

Hi! We had baby #6 7months ago, and bought a 12 passenger van a few months back. I really love all the room. I like that if needed you can remove the back bench while traveling, and still have room for all the kids. I'm trying to keep useing only narrow carseats for that reason, although any seats fit.

Kelley

Keeanh

Don't get a Chevy Express / GMC Savana. The outboard seatbelts don't work with car seats.

My pick would be the Nissan NV 12-passenger.

I can get 7 car seats in my GMC Safari because there's a tether anchor for the front seat, but then there's no room for DH ;)

careynj

I also vote for the NV! My brother and his family have one, but I did all the research, test drive and seat buying for it. They have 5 kids, 2 in boosters, 2 in frontiers and one RFing in an RXT. We don't use the back row, it is currently set up as an 8 seater.

danteod

We have a 2012 Sprinter (bought in July) but probably wouldn't recommend it at the moment. We recently had 2 storms (Sandy and one the week before) and water leaked (it was more a waterfall) inside through the AC unit in the roof!!

I brought it in to the dealership to get it fixed after the first storm and got it back after 4 days. Not a week later Sandy hit and it still had the issue (I actually put tarp over the first 2 passenger rows as a precaution in case the issue wasn't really fixed). I will bring the van to the dealership again on Monday to get this fixed.

We used the van this past Wednesday (1 day after Sandy) to watch my daughter's halloween parade at school and I told my wife she probably needed to use an umbrella inside so she and my twins wouldn't get wet (she thought I was joking until we started moving and water started to pour out of the AC unit!)... Very disappointed with Mercedes and the Sprinter.

I'm seriously considering "Lemonizing" the van and getting an NV. The only "advantage" I think it has over the NV is more space and the more efficient diesel engine. The NV has more goodies in it (and cheaper to boot!).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC