How to talk to someone about bad car seat use

TyAndCheyMommy

We started babysitting for a friend (not long time or real close friend) three days a week.
I ended up meeting her to pick up the little boy today.
He is almost 2 years old.

She has him forward facing, straps under his arm pits, so loose he can be pulled right out, very bulky coat on.

I want to know how I should approach it.

ADS

Wreckgoddess

I am terrible about saying things nicely. So I am going to hang back on this one... And let a "pro" answer a real answer. Do you think she just doesn't know how bad this is??? You might say "oh my! Did he do that when you weren't looking? We need to fix that!!" and say to the child... "sweetie you have to wear the straps like this or you could get really hurt!" But then I am often told I am passive agressive : )

Cookie Pants

Hmm personally I would be really blunt with her and approach it in a way like "I just wanted to tell you because I care about you and your son that...." I think not lecturing but giving her the cold hard facts and the whys behind proper seating for a child would make her feel empowered rather than belittled/lectured. I just thought of how I would want to be approached and what way would make me feel really grateful towards that person for potentially saving my child's life.

creideamh

I wouldn't bother with the RF vs FF (personally), but I'd just tell her why the straps should be at/above his shoulders (the physics behind it), how tight straps keep a child contained, and how a bulky coat can mask loose straps and that fleece is better because it compresses. Say you learnt all that recently (lie) and wanted to pass on the knowledge since car accidents are the #1 killer of kids. Then explain how to properly install the seat, since it probably isn't right. (I'd say to direct her to a local tech, but I know how rare they are to find where you live!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC