How far we've come...

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Huh...so AB had better seat laws for kids 28 years ago than Florida does NOW. :rolleyes:

Love that last sentence. So do you guys have seatbelt laws for adults by now? (or is it more like New Hampshire, our one state without them :eek:)

On a style note, my friends and I had haircuts like that back then, and the kids we babysat sat in seats like that :D

Love seeing those old articles :love::thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The law requires that children under 40lbs or under 6yrs of age be properly restrained in an appropriate restraint that is used according to manufacturer's instructions. The driver is responsible for the children in the vehicle. Once the child is over 40lbs or over 6yrs old they fall in to the seatbelt law which states that the entire seatbelt assembly must be snugly adjusted and worn in the correct orientation.

So far as penalties go, the ticket is $115 per ticketed offense. Seats can be ticketed multiple times if there are multiple things wrong and officers are able to ticket multiple times for each seat in the vehicle if they want to. For example, if you have 2 forward-facing seats that are installed without a top tether, have the seatbelt through the wrong belt path, and the harness is loose and not adjusted to the right height, they could issue 3 tickets for each seat. Emphasis here is on the word "could" because most of the time they don't ticket on every possible thing and it is up to the discretion of the officer as to whether they issue a ticket or not. The areas that can be ticketed for are top tether (forward-facing only,) installation, and harness use.

Alberta has a program available in some areas called option 4 that may be offered to the driver in some circumstances. The police officer isn't obligated to offer the option, but if they do, it gives the driver the choice of taking a 2hr information session and having their ticket dropped instead of paying the fine.

Last I heard, only about 1/3 of drivers who are ticketed and offered option 4 actually make use of the option 4 class. The remainder just pay the ticket. Option 4 classes aren't offered in all areas of the province, and officers frequently don't offer it if other serious offenses are involved - for instance dangerous driving or confiscating drugs etc.

eta: I didn't realize that the law originally was 40lbs or 5yrs old. I wonder when it was raised to 6yrs old?

biddyk8

Do boosters count or would the 4/5 year old need to still be in a seat or a hbb?

A friend has just moved over here and isn't using a booster or anything on her 4 year old. Just want to be able to send her a link to the law here so I can do it in more of a this is the law here way so I don't sound like I'm trying to be patronizing

jacqui276

Do boosters count or would the 4/5 year old need to still be in a seat or a hbb?

A friend has just moved over here and isn't using a booster or anything on her 4 year old. Just want to be able to send her a link to the law here so I can do it in more of a this is the law here way so I don't sound like I'm trying to be patronizing

I believe most, if not all, of our boosters here have a minimum of 40lbs. So looking at just our law, a kid has to be over 40lbs or over 6 years to not require a child restraint, therefore it would have to be a harnessed seat as the booster would be improperly used. If her 4 year old is under 40lbs, then they can be ticketed.

That's scary that her poor kid is riding with nothing. :(

biddyk8

Yep I'm hoping it was just a picture to show the new car as the seat belt was even buckled behind the kid. I should see her tomorrow so will mention it then if I see no seats in the car.

jacqui276

It's possible that she put the shoulder belt behind him because it was going across his neck/face from being way too little to sit there (my parents always did this back in the 80s/90s when I was sitting without a child restraint when by today's standards I should have been in one!). It is very dangerous to do that though.

Good luck talking to her about it and I hope that her little guy starts riding safely!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Boosters don't count. Alberta doesn't have a booster law, but if she is putting a 4 or 5yr old straight in to the seatbelt then the child isn't going to have a proper fit of the seatbelt and they could get a ticket. If the shoulder belt is being put behind the child's back, then that's definitely something she can be ticketed on as our law does stipulate proper orientation, and snugly adjusted.

Most kids who should be in boosters won't wear the seatbelt properly meaning that the driver can be ticketed for the kids under the seatbelt law. But the actual law regarding kids is under 40lbs or 6yrs old have to be in a restraint. After 40lbs or age 6 they fall in to the seatbelt law. When under 16 the driver gets the ticket. Once they turn 16 then they get the ticket.

biddyk8

She has her in a no back booster, with a pad for the seat belt to cover the strap on her neck to cushion it.

I've linked her to the law and just said its up to her but that she can get fined for it.

Shes now going to look for a new seat for her today.

jacqui276

She has her in a no back booster, with a pad for the seat belt to cover the strap on her neck to cushion it.

I've linked her to the law and just said its up to her but that she can get fined for it.

Shes now going to look for a new seat for her today.

Glad that she is looking for something so that her little one can ride safer. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC