Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

chavez

car manual contradicts carseat manual

my '08 subaru forrester manual says that rear center placement is not recommended, although a locking seatbelt is provided. the graco safeseat manual says that rear center placement is best.

which do i go with? if I use the rear center position, i can't use LATCH... but i'm not too bothered by that. in an outboard postition in the forrester using latch, i had to place a towel under the seat to get the angle correct... but installing in the center using the seatbelt seems like a better fit (no towel needed, though there is a slight tilt to the car seat)

any advice?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: car manual contradicts carseat manual

Use whichever position in which you get the most secure installation.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Does it say why center position is not recommended for the vehicle? Rear center is stated as safest in the restraint manual because the "crunch room" is the largest for an accident from any side of the vehicle. Unless there is a specific safety concern stated in the vehicle manual (I suspect they are not recommending this position because there is no latch), the center position should be safe if you can get a proper install. I would suggest contacting the vehicle dealership or manufacturer about why this position is not recommended.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Right, it's because there's no LATCH, and also kind of 'bumpy' and the seatbelt is kind of weird (two buckles), I think they are just trying to minimize consumer confusion. I doubt the dealer would have a single clue why (but I'm sure they could expound for hours on the number of speakers the car has...or is it just me that gets those stereo obsessed dealers? LOL)...
    Becky, this might be a good question for the CPSList, but I don't think we'd get any different answer: If you can install it safely in the middle, go ahead and install it there. If you can't, then use the outboard position
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Becky, this might be a good question for the CPSList, but I don't think we'd get any different answer: If you can install it safely in the middle, go ahead and install it there. If you can't, then use the outboard position
    I agree.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley