car manual contradicts carseat manual

C

chavez

my '08 subaru forrester manual says that rear center placement is not recommended, although a locking seatbelt is provided. the graco safeseat manual says that rear center placement is best.

which do i go with? if I use the rear center position, i can't use LATCH... but i'm not too bothered by that. in an outboard postition in the forrester using latch, i had to place a towel under the seat to get the angle correct... but installing in the center using the seatbelt seems like a better fit (no towel needed, though there is a slight tilt to the car seat)

any advice?

ADS

beeman

Does it say why center position is not recommended for the vehicle? Rear center is stated as safest in the restraint manual because the "crunch room" is the largest for an accident from any side of the vehicle. Unless there is a specific safety concern stated in the vehicle manual (I suspect they are not recommending this position because there is no latch), the center position should be safe if you can get a proper install. I would suggest contacting the vehicle dealership or manufacturer about why this position is not recommended.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Right, it's because there's no LATCH, and also kind of 'bumpy' and the seatbelt is kind of weird (two buckles), I think they are just trying to minimize consumer confusion. I doubt the dealer would have a single clue why (but I'm sure they could expound for hours on the number of speakers the car has...or is it just me that gets those stereo obsessed dealers? LOL)...
Becky, this might be a good question for the CPSList, but I don't think we'd get any different answer: If you can install it safely in the middle, go ahead and install it there. If you can't, then use the outboard position :)

skaterbabs

Becky, this might be a good question for the CPSList, but I don't think we'd get any different answer: If you can install it safely in the middle, go ahead and install it there. If you can't, then use the outboard position

I agree. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC