why are all the truefit tethers broken?

vangelder03

so far I have had 7 true fits 6 of the regular truefits and one truefit premier
and all the forward facing tethers have been broken. at least the regular ones stayed attached to the back 0f the seat. this new one from 6/2012
won't stay attached and just swings and hits the seat. it really sucks that
I will never get to use it forward facing. okay vent over

ADS

jacqui276

Contact them and get a new one/fix for it. Others on here have done so apparently. I wouldn't want a metal piece just waving around on the back of the seat (projectile concern). My TFP tether is still intact and I'm hoping it lasts!

jess71903

Ambassador
I (and others here) have bent mine back into place with a pair of pliers and some elbow grease. The "broken" part is just the clip that holds the hook until its tightened. It's not load-bearing, so I felt comfy doing that.

flutie128

I (and others here) have bent mine back into place with a pair of pliers and some elbow grease. The "broken" part is just the clip that holds the hook until its tightened. It's not load-bearing, so I felt comfy doing that.

I did this with my tether. I used the shaft of a screwdriver and it fixed the problem.

christineka

I contacted the first years/tomy. They sent me an email pictorial showing me how to bend the thing back into shape with a screw driver. That only temporarily worked, but since the seat was always rfing, it didn't bother me. I just had the seat forward facing last week and even though the tether was tight when I put it on, it fell off! I think kids must have compressed the vehicle seat more or??? I should probably call and see if they have some other solution. While I do normally only use the seat rear-facing, I would like to have the anchor stay on for those rare occasions when it is forward-facing.

(I was also not impressed with the leg room for forward-facing. My child had almost no room for her legs and that was with the front seat pushed all the way forward.)

vangelder03

I tried that it didn't work.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I called Tomy this morning and they are sending me a new tether.

Really? When I called about it maybe 18 months ago they told me the tether isn't replaceable, just sent the stupid little plastic dowel you're supposed to use to bend it back.

vangelder03

question about true fit tether.

I forgot to call the first years about my broken tether. should I stop using it until I get the tether problem fixed?

mkmama

I tried that it didn't work.

I had called them about my older one probably 1.5 -2 years ago or so, when they were just starting to be noticed -- at first they told me to try that (fixing with screwdriver/pliers), and I did and it didn't work, so then they had me send pictures of the problem, and eventually they did replace my seat (tethers were not replaceable on that model...not sure about more current models)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC