Question convertable car seat with head support

ambergaz

Just wondering if anyone came across a convertible car seat that when in forward facing mode, the kids head is supported enough that it does not slump forward when they fall asleep. I see all these new air protect sides and wonder if these help support the head while sleeping? anyone have one they are happy with? any suggestions or opinions would be helpful. thanks

ADS

AZmamaof2

It may be easier to know based on your child's age. My DS just turned four and sleeps a lot in his CA 50 by safety 1st. Once in a while he might slump, so then I just reach back and give his head a slight nudge into the headwings when I come to a stoplight.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
My son has slept well FF in a Classic Marathon and a True Fit. Not a convertible, but he does also sleep great in our Frontier.

Jan06twinmom

I found that age made a huge difference with head slump. My DS is very tall and we had to move him forward-facing at 2 1/2 years old and he had head slump in our different car seats. His twin sister is petite and stayed rear-facing until 4y4m. When she went forward-facing at 4 years old, she didn't have head slump issues.

How old and big is your child? If possible, rear-facing is probably the cheapest and safest solution for addressing the head slump issue for a younger child.

Melanie

ambergaz

My son is only 13 months and almost grown out of his infant seat. I intend to keep him rear facing so I am looking for a convertible seat. And want to use the same seat eventually when the time comes to forward face. My 4 year old currently is using the safety first alpha omega elite forward facing and his head slumps every time he falls asleep. I hate it! I was hoping to find the right seat so we don't have the same issue later on. I will have to buy 2 seats, one for each car, so I am looking for around the $150 price range. and preferably one that I don't have to rethread the shoulder straps on. thanks!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
My son is only 13 months and almost grown out of his infant seat. I intend to keep him rear facing so I am looking for a convertible seat. And want to use the same seat eventually when the time comes to forward face. My 4 year old currently is using the safety first alpha omega elite forward facing and his head slumps every time he falls asleep. I hate it! I was hoping to find the right seat so we don't have the same issue later on. I will have to buy 2 seats, one for each car, so I am looking for around the $150 price range. and preferably one that I don't have to rethread the shoulder straps on. thanks!

Are your 4 year old's shoulders below the top harness position on the AOE? Which model is it - the one with the 40, 50 or 65 lb forward facing harnessed weight limit? The top harness slots are pretty short on that seat, and the booster function does not provide a safe belt fit so that seat is going to be about at the end of it's life for your 4 year old very soon, if not already. For all those reasons, I would just pass it down to your 13 month old and put it RF of course, and get a new seat for your 4 year old. You can get a good combination seat (FF harness plus booster) that will have much taller harness slots and make a GOOD booster in a year or two when he's ready.

The only delimma is that the 4 good combination options are the Evenflo SecureKid, Graco Nautilus, Recaro ProSport, and Britax Frontier. The first two are in your budget at about $130, BUT neither have a no rethread harness and most kids have head slump when they're asleep in them. The last two are great for sleeping, have a no re-thread harness, BUT are over your budget at about $220. I would probably get one of each and you'll still within your total budget, and just put the Britax or Recaro in your primary car since I'm guessing that's the one where he sleeps the most, and then get either the SecureKid or Nautilus for your second car (or, an Evenflo Maestro which is pretty similar to the SecureKid except the booster function is much shorter, but it's only about $70).

ambergaz

Would be a great plan but we took off the base of the alpha omega so the 2 seats could fit side by side in my car and my husband threw it away. :( so cant use the seat rear racing without the base....

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are you looking for a seat for your 4yo? The Graco Nautilus is on sale at Target starting Sunday for $125. I've never had headslump issues with it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ambergaz said:
Would be a great plan but we took off the base of the alpha omega so the 2 seats could fit side by side in my car and my husband threw it away. :( so cant use the seat rear racing without the base....

Unless something has changed, you can use it without the base.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor

How much growing room does your 4 year old actually have in it? Depending on how big he is, you may need to replace both in the near future regardless unless you think he's mature enough to go to a booster (in a dedicated booster seat, not in the AOE) when he outgrows the AOE harness. A handful of 4 year olds are mature enough, most aren't.

Phineasmama

The Nautilus is notorious for head slump but it also totally depends on your vehicle, some people have NO problem with it and for some it's really bad.

FWIW my kids have slept really well in the Frontier 85 and Recaro ProSport.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC