My CPST course starts tomorrow!!

Kappy

Senior Community Member
Any tips that may help me through the course? I've been crazy about child passenger safety for about 4 years now, so I feel like I may have an advantage.

But just to be certain, any CPSTs have any tips? :)

Update! Well tomorrow it will be official!! I've passed all 3 written tests and scoring 100% on all of them!! The field exams made me even more confident in my skills, and I've learned some tricks that I can use on my own seats! So big bonus there!

Our check event is tomorrow morning, and I'm really looking forward to it! I really hope I get some parents that are interested in learning and aren't just expecting me to do it for them. Our lead CPST-I drilled it into our heads to NOT be the last person to touch the seat! I will NOT be doing the final installation for parents. They need to learn how to do it.

I can't believe I'm finally going to be a CPST!! I really have here, the blog, and the Car Seat Questions group on BabyCenter Community to thank for teaching me how to use my own seats properly to begin with.

Last edited:
ADS

NVMBR02

If you have been reading here you'll be fine.

Wear comfortable clothes and make sure you have a cleanish car if you can.

I am finally able to take a renewal course in a week and I am looking forward to it!

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
You'll probably be slightly bored, or aggravated by the lack of excitement by everyone else. Lol

The only thing I really learned was about the different types of seatbelts, knew just about everything else. I'm pretty sure I drove the instructors crazy, but they recognized that I knew my stuff.

Take water! Getting in and out if cars and installing seats can get hot, even if its cold outside.

jenfrogmom

NicoleCPST said:
You'll probably be slightly bored, or aggravated by the lack of excitement by everyone else. Lol

The only thing I really learned was about the different types of seatbelts, knew just about everything else. I'm pretty sure I drove the instructors crazy, but they recognized that I knew my stuff.

Take water! Getting in and out if cars and installing seats can get hot, even if its cold outside.

Exactly the same for me...

morninglori

Try to partner with one of the "weaker" students in the class if you can. Try to help them understand the curriculum that is being taught if you can. You already know what the instructor is going to teach, so pay attention to what you partner, and other students in the class struggle with - it is likely the same stuff that IRL parents struggle with too.

When you are in cars, teach your partner some of your techniques that you have gathered from your experience

Kappy

Senior Community Member
Thank you all! I hope I don't get too bored. I'm super nerdy, so I'm looking forward to anything that I don't all ready know! I'm very confident about installing car seats, but I'm sure there's some stuff that I could still learn.

I love the tip of helping my other classmates. There are 8 others that are to be in the course with me.

It has taken a long time to finally be able to enroll in a course that ISN'T cancelled!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My advice, in addition to everything mentioned, is -- and I definitely don't mean this in a bad way at all -- don't be over-confident. Don't be complacent and don't assume you know what is being taught or what the right answer or technique is. Listen and absorb, and ask questions, in a way that is confirming things you already know, but with half an ear out for something new or different. Assuming we know or not checking the manual because you think you have that all covered is how we all make mistakes. I learn something new every time I teach a course, or run a clinic - no one can possibly be a walking encyclopedia of everything car seat ever produced, and thinking you need to be is overwhelming.

I might add nail clippers and band aids to your list of things to bring, as I am always doing a number on my hands at clinics.

Have fun!

Kappy

Senior Community Member
My advice, in addition to everything mentioned, is -- and I definitely don't mean this in a bad way at all -- don't be over-confident. Don't be complacent and don't assume you know what is being taught or what the right answer or technique is. Listen and absorb, and ask questions, in a way that is confirming things you already know, but with half an ear out for something new or different. Assuming we know or not checking the manual because you think you have that all covered is how we all make mistakes. I learn something new every time I teach a course, or run a clinic - no one can possibly be a walking encyclopedia of everything car seat ever produced, and thinking you need to be is overwhelming.

I might add nail clippers and band aids to your list of things to bring, as I am always doing a number on my hands at clinics.

Have fun!

Definitely not taken in a bad way. I appreciate the advice! I admit that I do not know it all, and I tell my friends that. So I really look forward to learning what I can. I'm not one to show off, so I'll probably keep it low key. :)

My friends know me as the "go to" person when it comes to their car seats. I want to make sure I'm giving the right information, and this is the way to know for sure.

I'm super excited!

Kappy

Senior Community Member
A question that I just thought of. I've read that we will use our own vehicles to practice in. Should I take out my sons' car seats? I won't be transporting them anywhere, so I won't exactly need them in there.

Kappy

Senior Community Member
Yes. Take out your seats. Teaching seats get trashed. I would only allow people to touch my active use seats on a limited basis.

Good to go. I will go do that now. I would cry if something happened to my children's car seats! Thank you. :)

jjordan

Congrats! Hope the check event goes well! After you become all official, you can get your user name here switched to green. :D

(ETA: Here is a thread that explains how.)

V

VanIsleMommy

yes to what pix said :) when I took my course I knew most of the basics and some of the tricks etc but I learned a ton. I had never even heard of temporary tethering etc. I actually don't know how I absorbed it all while being 36 weeks pregnant and having false labor, LOL

one of my favorite activities was when the instructor (the other nicole on here actually) set up a misuse with a car seat that appeared normal from the front but when you turned the seat over you could see the error in the back... many people missed the error which was a good lesson, never assume the parent has done it right, always check everything. I was one of the few people that caught it but I remembered this lesson and always lift the covers to check everything and have caught a few major errors by parents this way.

Kappy

Senior Community Member
Wahoo, my Safe Kids profile has been updated!! I'm finally a certified technician!!!

Thank you so much everyone!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC