Picking and choosing new info from car seat companies..

Baylor

SO Lately I have seen people posting about new rules to a seat that they get from the company on the phone.

Ex. Proride going to a 40lb weight limit.. Good news right?!?

But The same company also stated in email that the Probooster and Vivo both need head support and people want to ignore it.

I have the emails. Some people just have phone calls.

Tell me, How do you choose which rules you will follow that are not in the manual?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I follow rules that are given to the public in writing. I also follow information that comes directly from a KNOWLEDGEABLE source within the company (engineer, CPST spokesperson, etc.). If that information contradicts info available elsewhere and it's not also available in writing to the public, I give a caveat that the info comes from XYZ source and let others decide what they want to follow.

babyherder

I prefer just to follow the ones I like. As long as we're picking and choosing I might as well ignore the bad news, right? ;) Seriously, I have no idea. I have a vivo and fixed head rests in my car so no issues there. I have a myride and a tribute rf. They might be slightly more upright than they're "supposed" to be but that's mostly cause I'm too lazy to actually measure so when in doubt I just go a little more upright. They're both pretty close though.

gigi

I follow the rules...I don't pick and choose. For instance, despite the "common knowledge" here, I chose to discontinue use of my T-Tario 35 at the stated height limit of 32" even though she had inches above her head.

Ahh, before I get too high on my horse LOL, I just remembered I did choose to NOT use the infant insert in my Coccoro for my almost 20 lb 12 month old. The manual said to use until 25 lbs, but the customer rep at Combi said it was fine without and Vera had previously indicated that the (incredibly insistent, bolded, and often repeated) wording was a misprint.

lanwenyi

I follow the rules that are given in writing to the public. I won't go by what is said in a private phonecall or email, nor by what reports come out of a CPS event. Once the info is avail to the public in writing (or as an FAQ on the company's website), I will follow it. I need a press release, new manual, or a recall. I will accept a public statement on the company's official website.

I may make a personal, parental decision based on questions that have been answered to me in writing by a company, but I would not expect others to make those same parental decisions.

I don't have a ProRide, so the 40lb retroactive is something I know nothing about. If the info is avail publicly, I'd follow it. If not, then I would continue to follow my manual and discontinue rfing use at 35lbs.

I do have a Vivo. I will continue to follow the manual (no gaps allowed, remove headrest if it causes a gap) until Recaro makes a public announcement changing the printed manual.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The problem with the headrest thing is that people may not HAVE a rule following option. They have to choose the rule they think is the least important to break.

cryswilkins

When it's n the manuals or in a public statement from the company. I hate when news comes down the pipeline from Joe Schmoe from their Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone and probably NAK, please excuse my typos.

bnsnyde

Wait, the Vivo doesn't allow gaps and says to remove the headrest if there is a gap? But they also require head support? Huh? What's the final word? I have this seat. Someday it might come up where we have to decide what to do. It's a carpooling seat.

Baylor

Our ProBooster and VIVO seats require vehicle headrest support behind them. Should this cause a small gap between the vehicle seat and the booster back, a towel may be folded to fill the gap.

This is from the email. I don't want to publish the whole thing as I am sure it is a violation of sorts. I would encourage you to email them yourself.

What I would like to know is there a way we can push for a change in manual if they change the rules?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would probably take that email and post it on their Facebook page and tell them to put it in the manual if it needs to be followed.

The problem is that ever since they've had seats here, Recaro's customer service has been...interesting. Sort of along the lines of Sunshine Kids, so it's hard for me to take an email from them as gospel.

mom of six

I think this kind of goes along with the information in this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=232188

I would be comfortable following information that was announced publicly and was available to reference. I think we need to be careful talking to CS reps because I don't think they always know what they are talking about. They get their information from decision trees and prompt cards that might be outdated. Sometimes I think some of the questions that they are asked are a bit out of their scope and we are putting them in an unfair position. To some of them the product they represent may be a passion for them (like it is for us) and they really care about their answer. To others, it is just a job (next, please). They don't have the stock in it that we do (or the kids).

At least in the thread I linked the incorrect information the CS rep gave could be corrected with a credible, reliable source.

christineka

I know if the case of recaro, when I asked about head support, they gave me the probooster manual as answer. Then the rep asked the engineers, who gave the answer of the booster needing head support. I believe that the diono rep is probably the correct one in saying that all high back boosters (except maybe the clek) should have vehicle head support as safest, but I also believe that while that is ideal, that use of a high back booster without vehicle head support is still reasonably safe.

vangelder03

I know if the case of recaro, when I asked about head support, they gave me the probooster manual as answer. Then the rep asked the engineers, who gave the answer of the booster needing head support. I believe that the diono rep is probably the correct one in saying that all high back boosters (except maybe the clek) should have vehicle head support as safest, but I also believe that while that is ideal, that use of a high back booster without vehicle head support is still reasonably safe.

because of the question of needing head support except for clek my current spare boosters are the oobrs. it's just weird to have my spares be one of the most expensive booster seats you can buy. and have my everyday seats be one of the cheapest.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Except that high-back boosters were initially developed specifically BECAUSE of a lack of head support, so I have a hard time believing that most high-backs aren't safe without it.

christineka

Except that high-back boosters were initially developed specifically BECAUSE of a lack of head support, so I have a hard time believing that most high-backs aren't safe without it.

Me too. I believe they are safEST with vehicle support, but still safe without. Just my personal opinion, though.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Me too. I believe they are safEST with vehicle support, but still safe without. Just my personal opinion, though.

I agree with this. I have a hard time believing that SOME support isn't better than no support or being out of position. Also, I don't really think that a small gap behind a booster is a big deal. The reason I have been given it isn't allowed is that the child may move backward during rebound. Vehicle seats are safER when they have technology that allows a 1-3 inch rearward movement to cup the back and head. Having an inch gap behind a booster would be essentially the same situation. Now if it were a large gap of several inches, I could see how slack could be introduced, or the back could break and create a stabbing hazard, or, the booster will just be super tippy and will fall over all the time, but when I see people obsessing over being able to see daylight, I can't help but think maybe we are complicating things a little too much.

Baylor

And I completely agree with this. When I look at some of the better, for lack a good term, HBB like the Monterey and the PB that really seem reinforced, I can not see how they were not intended to use that way. I just feel like I need to take it into account when putting my child in it.

I also feel obligated that since I have been told this, I need to share it and let anyone else get clarification also.

babyherder

Actually, my vivo does have a gap between the vehicle seat back and the car seat seat back. The manual says no large gaps. So I've decided its a small gap. :shrug-shoulders: I've posted pictures here and had people agree with me. My fixed headrests aren't going anywhere so there's not a lot I can do.

bnsnyde

I thought my Clek Oobr headrest was wobbly (I guess I expected really solid), so I now have a headrest behind it. And that's supposed to be about the sturdiest one? Wow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC