Turbobooster, Turbobooster w/Safety Surround, Affix... WWYD?

Laurelz

So... 3 options..

I'm just reviewing, researching mostly, but I am wondering if anyone can give me a quick comparrison of the 3, pros/cons, the differences (measurements, etc). Has anyone done a side by side of these yet?! :whistle: ;)

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I have not seen the Affix in person, but I have owned both the Turbo & the Safety Surround. While I have heard several say that the SS is the same as the Turbo with extra foam, I dissagree. The SS has a deeper shell itself on it. I also like that the shell of the SS wraps around the child better & seems to better contain the child. All in all I like the SS better than I did the Turbo. We do not have as much trouble with head slump in our Subaru Forester in the SS as we did the Turbo b/c of the deeper head wings.

I can try to on Wed to get comparison pictures of him in both seats, but I know I can't do it tomorrow. I can also strip both seats down to nothing but the shell for you & take pictures.

PikkuMyy

If I had to choose between the 3, I'd buy a Safety Surround. We own a regular Turbo and when my son falls asleep (I only let it happen once and we were parked before it became a problem) in it, the seat belt starts falling off his shoulder. There isn't enough side support. The wings on the SS are much deeper and would likely eliminate this problem. As for the Affix...I simply wasn't impressed. It looks very much like the regular Turbo with no side support. The LATCH connectors are hooks and not push connectors. I didn't have a measuring tape with me but the the width of the Affix seat looked like it could potentially be a tad wider, but not by much if at all.

PikkuMyy

IMG901.jpg
Affix next to Turbo (Elite?)

IMG902.jpg
Affix LATCH connector

IMG779.jpg
My son (5) asleep in the regular Turbo. Note the seatbelt creeping off his shoulder. He does not ride in a booster full time. The Turbo is his carpool seat.

Mommy2Marcus

Wow! Thanks for the pics, that's awesome! It seems they are are PRETTY much the same thing minus the fact that, like you said, the SS looks deeper.

If you would like I will get pictures of Marcus in the regular Turbo tomorrow after school. I have pictures of him in the SS that are like a week old, so very current. Then I can post them both here for you.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
We love the turbo and have not had any more problems with belt placement when ds falls asleep then in any other booster (Monterey, Probooster, Frontier as booster). IME, kids slump, get out of position, etc. when they sleep and need to be reminded to sit properly.

jkieran

As an update, we thought this post was useful when looking for a new booster seat. We wanted something like the affix, which uses LATCH to keep the seat in place when the kids are not in the car, but we liked the idea of Safety Surround. We were about to buy the Safety Surround (which is on sale right now on Target, Amazon, etc.), but we waited a week or so to think about it.

And then, after a little more research, we saw this:

http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/pro...ion-highback-booster-seat-in-black/1041392539

Yes, there is now an AFFIX with Safety Surround! It looks brand new.

We purchased two of them immediately.

We have not yet received the car seats, so of course we cannot review or rate them. However, I wanted to update this thread in case others had the same question of Affix vs. Turbo + Safety Surround. You don't have to choose anymore, apparently.

(If I think about it, we'll check in in a few months with a review...but no promises!)

YinzerMama

Funny, this has been the topic on my brain the last few weeks.

I got the new recaro boosters and my girls like our turbo a lot more. I like the latch of the affix but want something with more to the sides (although not so much monstrousness to the sides like the recaro). The affix with safety surround isn't new (I knew of it a few months ago) but it only comes in black. I'd LOVE if they would release that in other colors and not make it a BBB exclusive. BRU exclusives don't bother me quite as much since most people have a BRU in driving distance and they tend to be exclusive colors not exclusive seats. (ditto with the Britax mythical beast, the highway 65)

I love, love, love that affix with ss but I want more colors!

I'm holding out hope for the cambria coming out this spring - I hope it will be just what I want. Sides, latch, sliding cup holders (kids want those, not me), and more colors. And price will be about the same as that affix from what I can tell.

eta - how was ther ss turbo on sale on amazon? I thought it was a target exclusive and have only ever seen it super expensive on amazon?

Last edited:

jujumum

We had the same issue and went with the buybuybaby Affix/SS. We love it - fits my son beautifully, he easily can buckle himself, and the fabric seems to be better than the other versions. We had a 20% of coupon so it was $80.

YinzerMama

All right so I snagged the SS Turbo (lol, sounds like a boat) when it was 50 bucks at Target last week, thinking I could always return it but didn't want to miss the sale - unboxed it last night and it is LOVE. My daughters are so comfy in it. I wish it came with latch, or that the affix came in more colors, but for what it is, I love it. My 10yo even has comfortable enough shoulder room, even if he is too tall to actually use it, which makes me love it more than the recaro. I had ordered 3 recaros, returned 2, planned to keep one - the last one is going back. Just not feeling the love for it.

LOVE the SS Turbo.

jess71903

Ambassador
All right so I snagged the SS Turbo (lol, sounds like a boat) when it was 50 bucks at Target last week, thinking I could always return it but didn't want to miss the sale - unboxed it last night and it is LOVE. My daughters are so comfy in it. I wish it came with latch, or that the affix came in more colors, but for what it is, I love it. My 10yo even has comfortable enough shoulder room, even if he is too tall to actually use it, which makes me love it more than the recaro. I had ordered 3 recaros, returned 2, planned to keep one - the last one is going back. Just not feeling the love for it.

LOVE the SS Turbo.
We've been chasing each other around these booster threads! I'm glad you found something you like!

YinzerMama

It's not as tall as the hoped for cambria, so I might have to re-evaluate in a couple years, but you can't beat 50 bucks for a decent booster. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC