Winter Stroller

moonlightblonde

What do you use in the snow? I have a 6 month old.

My first years wisp travel system is giving up. I don't drive & live in a really little town where I can walk everywhere.

-I want something that blocks sun well (baby screams bloody murder if it gets in her face)..by reversible handle, moving sun shade or turning seat I don't care.

-has to work well in snow - our roads are plowed fast but there is always some snow.

-should be able to push at the beach too (not as big of a priority)

I go for at least 2 walks a day, though in good weather am usually walking 2+ hours a day. My town is filled with hills and trails (though I don't think I would ever bring a stroller in the trails).

Preferably not TOO expensive, though I understand that I use it daily and may need to spend more than I would like.

Today I went to check out a bertini shuttle, definitely not something I want.
I have seen an '04 urban mountain buggy, should I go for something that old or suck it up and buy new(er).

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You want an all-terrain! I hear Mountain Buggy has improved their sun shade, love their push. I do like the push on the Valco Tri-Mode too. And of choose I have to plug my dream stroller, the Easywalker Qtro. :)

moonlightblonde

You want an all-terrain! I hear Mountain Buggy has improved their sun shade, love their push. I do like the push on the Valco Tri-Mode too. And of choose I have to plug my dream stroller, the Easywalker Qtro. :)

Does this mean I would be better off with a newer one than the '04 I found for sale? I love the look of the new ones, not so much the price (last baby, if I were using it for multiple kids it would be different).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Does this mean I would be better off with a newer one than the '04 I found for sale? I love the look of the new ones, not so much the price (last baby, if I were using it for multiple kids it would be different).

Canopy-wise, yes, but then again you could always just buy an add-on shade to go over instead...

cmcki737

I have a single BOB and a double Mountain Buggy and love both! The BOB is a 2010 and the MB is a pre-2009 not sure of exact year and BOB is better for sun protection but I love the options and accessories that MB has like the car seat adaptor, carry cot, winter bunting and bottle holders. Bottom line both are excellent strollers and you can buy new style sunshades for older model MB's.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I took my Mountain Buggy Urban Double to the re-start of the Iditarod last year, which is on a frozen lake covered with snow. We walked about a mile on a plowed road (with about 2" of loose snow on top of ice) and then across the lake, which ranged from 6-12" of snow, and it did great! We had to help it through some drifts, but I was impressed.

I had my 2 and 4 year olds in the stroller and my 6yo riding on the front!

bccrst

Chariot Cougar!! Great in the snow, equally great in sand. :love: :love: :love: Chariots. I very nearly cried when we sold ours last spring (youngest kiddo finally outgrew it) :crying:

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I just discovered Chariot strollers at ABC and I was very impressed. I never imagined you could do so much with a stroller.

crunchierthanthou

My BJCE does very well in the snow - add a toddler sized Bundle Me and rain cover, and dd didn't even notice the time it was below zero and we had to walk ds to school. It has a great canopy and other nice features, too.

Basically, you want air tires that are at least 12" and a front wheel that can lock (I wouldn't go for a full time fixed wheel, though). That combination should do okay at the beach, too.

Phineasmama

I have a 2012 Chariot Cougar double :) I use it as both a stroller and a bike trailer, I do not have the jogging stroller attachment but the regular strolling wheels so it is easy to turn.

It has a net covering, and a separate sun shade that is very generous (it can roll up out of the way). There is also a waterproof zip down cover for rain, it's not just a plastic shower cap type thing but actually part of the chassis.

You can even get ski attachments for this thing! It's pretty awesome :)

Kaitsmom

I have a 2011 Baby Jogger City Elite and its amazing on all kinds of terraine, but haven't tried the snow yet. I don't have a car and walk everywhere and have had no issues. The canopy is HUGE, my daughters legs from the knee down are all that stick out and she is 44" tall.

I got mine on Wayfair as a return, but it was brand new, the box had been taped back shut but all the pieces were still in their packaging

moonlightblonde

Any chance any one has black friday sales on strollers? How do you convince partners that they are worth the $$? He thinks I should make due with what we have or just use one of the baby carriers I have (I do use them, but a 20lb 6 month, ice and all day adventures on foot I at least want the stroller to store things).

amyd

If you're looking for a more budget-friendly option, my BFF has put way more miles on her Baby Trend Expedition than I have on my Valco and it's held up really well for her. She loves it and says it's great in snow and slush as well.

crunchierthanthou

Any chance any one has black friday sales on strollers? How do you convince partners that they are worth the $$? He thinks I should make due with what we have or just use one of the baby carriers I have (I do use them, but a 20lb 6 month, ice and all day adventures on foot I at least want the stroller to store things).

I wouldn't baby wear on ice. I'm unstable enough on my own.

I've heard the Jeep 3 wheeled strollers are actually quite good. Again, just look for good sized air tires, and a front wheel that can lock.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...1&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-182253670-2

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Look for secondhand deals too. I found my stroller by searching craigslist and ebay nationwide, bought it on ebay for local pickup only in Minneapolis, and a friend (online friend) living there picked it up and Greyhound shipped it to me. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC