Question Chicco Nextfit uses Euro RF height guideline?

HayleyCPST

Came across this blog post from a CPST who attended the ABC kids Expo last week.

"While the general US rule is top of the head 1 inch from the top of the shell… the European rule (and what the NextFit uses) is TOP OF THE EARS 1 inch from the top of the shell. Which means a child’s head CAN rise above the seat and still be able to rearface."

Is this true? I'm unsure because....
#1. carseatblog did not mention this, and I trust that they post accurate, correct news. :)
#2. Europe's guideline for rear facing is that the child outgrows it by height when the top of the ears are even with the top of the shell (or 1/3 of the child's head above the shell), not 1" from it.
#3. Does she mean the top of the shell or the top of the head rest? The reason I ask is because the head rest extends beyond the shell.
#4. I'm assuming the 1" rule does not take into account the orange harness height adjuster on the head rest?

If someone can clarify or can ask Chicco that would be great. This could be very significant information!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Headrest, unless things have changed since KIM. We measured it all the way up to get seated height.

Wendy

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Headrest, unless things have changed since KIM. We measured it all the way up to get seated height.

Wendy

:yeahthat:

Sorry - I was trying to clarify and I proceeded to muddy the waters even more! :p Yes, it is 1" to top of headwings, not shell.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
(Although, if you ever need someone to come with and stay sober, you have a willing volunteer. ;) :p )

abbi_n_nadia

Kind of an off topic question but why are these new seats allowing their head to be above the shell? I mean cause other seats have had headrests that raise up higher than the shell but still maintained the 1" below top of shell rule. I read in another thread someone questioning the safety of having the head above the shell and said they pictured the headrest hitting something behind it, bending forward and causing the child's head to get pushed forward and chin into their chest. Nobody responded to this concern in the other thread. I'm thinking there must be metal bars supporting the headrests or something?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's just whether or not the headrest is reinforced. The only seat I know of that doesn't allow the head to go above the shell but has a headrest that goes far beyond it is the Britax convertibles. And those headrests won't take an initial force of a crash. They'll break. They were designed to cradle the head forward facing, not extend rear facing time.

Wendy

abbi_n_nadia

So all of the other convertibles with headrests that raise up higher than the shell are reinforced? The britax convertibles are what I was thinking of but I figured there were others with headrests and the 1" rule also.

abbi_n_nadia

Thanks Wendy! That makes me feel a little better knowing there's some sort of substantial support in the headrests. I just hadn't seen much discussion on the safety of the headrests so was wondering what makes it ok to go above the shell now.

Sorry for my rambling. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC