Moving Cross Country - Driving speed?

mommy2jasmine

My husband and I are in a bit of a dilemma. We are headed from the Oregon Coast to the North Carolina Coast on November 3rd. We have given ourselves ample time. We only plan on driving a minimum of 8 hrs a day and anything after that is bonus miles.

Here's the thing though...we are taking two cars and he drives fast and I drive slow. For example in Southern California, where we used to live, the speed limit was 65. He drove 65-75 and I drove 55. We were just talking and his preferred cruising speed is ~75mph or 9 mph over the posted speed limit. I really don't like the idea of driving over 65, let alone feel comfortable with that. 60 mph feels like light speed to me. I can do it, no problem. It's not going to put me in a panic, but I just don't feel like that's very safe. His response is that there are period of time where it is just a giant straight stretch and nothing is going to happen and we would see something coming from far away.

I just can't shake the feeling of not wanting to drive that fast.

What are your opinions if you were in my situation. If I'm wrong and it's ok to drive that fast tell me. I just think each 5 mph faster we go is a 7% decrease in mpg, as well as 600 lbs of force on me, 700 lb for him, 200 lbs for our daughter and 110 for our son. They are both rear facing despite whatever my current siggy says (haven't updated so I may say dd is FF)

Anyway, what would YOU do?

ADS

Shaunam

Well I think going lower than the speed limit, assuming no inclimate weather or whatver, can be dangerous because you have 99% of people on the road going at least that and YOU are then the obstruction on the road. Everyone has to go around you and the flow of traffic gets all messed up.

I think a good compromise would be to simply go with the flow of traffic, or the speed limit. If no one else is on that stretch of road, you'd go the speed limit. If it's a busy highway and everyone is going 60, go 60.

mommy2jasmine

Ok. I see what you mean. The only reason I went so much slower in CA was because the road was so wide you could "get away" with it, so to speak. In always stayed out of the way and if I passed or moved lanes I sped up to the traffic flow. I go with the flow of traffic here in OR because it is that slow and even if I would like to go slower, I don't because in CA there were 4-8 lanes of traffic going one direction and here there may only be 1-3.

Anyway, I don't intend to put it in cruise control and cause a bother to others. 65 is quite fast enough, I think. I hope I don't come across as paranoid and defensive. I guess I just want to know if driving 75 mph is safe? I won't impede traffic. I am very careful to speed up and accomodate when needed.. So... Traffic flow aside, what would you do?

cso1997

Slower drivers are such a danger on highways that my state is actually trying new things to deal with them like getting them off the roads or changing minimum speed limits. Shauna is totally right. You are actually the problem out there when everyone else is going with the flow. Being an obstruction would scare me far more than going a bit faster. It just takes one distracted driver to think you are going the speed limit and plow into the back of you.

ETA: Posted at the same time as you. I guess if you aren't impeding traffic then do what is in your comfort level. I still think that once you are going over 30 or 35, crash forces are really hard on your body. I have seen people die at 45 and survive without a scratch at 80. There is no way to tell.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Keep in mind that some states have speed limits of 80 (or even 85?) mph. So there will be times that traffic is flowing at those speeds. (That's usually outside city areas, etc., so it's not like there will be people you have to keep up with, but still.)

I see nothing wrong with driving at 65, 75, or 80 mph as long as weather and road conditions allow for it, you're not distracted, and there's nothing keeping you from having control of your car.

If you're not comfortable driving that fast, then don't. But I wouldn't say it's necessarily dangerous as long as you're going with the flow of traffic and leaving enough distance to react, etc. As was stated, it can sometimes be dangerous to go too slowly.

mommy2jasmine

I didn't realize the speed limit actually gets up that high! Wow! I have never seen it higher than 70 mph, so I just assumed that's where it topped out. In that case I would drive faster. I guess I was wrong. :) I am just so used to the slowness of Oregon that driving 80 freaks me out a bit. Ok then. I'll let him set the speed :)

Thank you!

Lemonade

The places with speed limits of 80 are generally huge flat stretches of land. So while 80 wouldn't be appropriate in some parts of the country, it is in the plains. DH and I drove from Philly to Denver years ago and went through quite a bit of the plains. I wouldn't worry too much about it ahead of time. You probably won't even know you're going that fast because it will just feel appropriate. My DH drives faster and more aggressively than I do too:)

Little Ps Mama

Just wanted to say I'm with you; I don't like driving that fast either. And I'd rather be hit from behind while doing 60 then lose control at 80. A while ago I read a statistic on how your chance of surviving a wreck decreases every 5mph over 55 and it scared me enough to never go faster than 70 in speed limit zones over 55. I stay to the right on the highways and interstates.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Ok. I see what you mean. The only reason I went so much slower in CA was because the road was so wide you could "get away" with it, so to speak. In always stayed out of the way and if I passed or moved lanes I sped up to the traffic flow. I go with the flow of traffic here in OR because it is that slow and even if I would like to go slower, I don't because in CA there were 4-8 lanes of traffic going one direction and here there may only be 1-3.

Anyway, I don't intend to put it in cruise control and cause a bother to others. 65 is quite fast enough, I think. I hope I don't come across as paranoid and defensive. I guess I just want to know if driving 75 mph is safe? I won't impede traffic. I am very careful to speed up and accomodate when needed.. So... Traffic flow aside, what would you do?

Californian here. There being 4-8 lanes of traffic does not make it safe to go slower than the flow of traffic or mean you aren't impeding it. Your speed can cause a crash you aren't involved in too. If you are in the far right lane, you are in the midst of traffic entering and exiting. That right there puts you at higher risk of being hit. If the second to the right lane is going 70 while you are going 55, you are putting merging cars in a position of having to make a 15 mph sppeed change and essentially creating another dangerous exit/entrance lane. (Also true of the number two lane * second to the left.---where cars access passing and carpools lanes.)

Basically, you want to hang out in a lane where speeds are constant and predictible in order to not get in a crash in the first place. If you aren't passing slower traffic on the left, or exiting or entering to the right, you want to get in the middle and maintain constant speed with the flow of traffic. This keeps you safer, and keeps other people from making dangerous speed jumps.

ca2003

Californian here. There being 4-8 lanes of traffic does not make it safe to go slower than the flow of traffic or mean you aren't impeding it. Your speed can cause a crash you aren't involved in too. If you are in the far right lane, you are in the midst of traffic entering and exiting. That right there puts you at higher risk of being hit. If the second to the right lane is going 70 while you are going 55, you are putting merging cars in a position of having to make a 15 mph sppeed change and essentially creating another dangerous exit/entrance lane. (Also true of the number two lane * second to the left.---where cars access passing and carpools lanes.)

Basically, you want to hang out in a lane where speeds are constant and predictible in order to not get in a crash in the first place. If you aren't passing slower traffic on the left, or exiting or entering to the right, you want to get in the middle and maintain constant speed with the flow of traffic. This keeps you safer, and keeps other people from making dangerous speed jumps.

I totally agree with you. At the point where I get off the highway for work in the morning the highway is 3 lanes and I prefer to keep to the left until a mile or 2 before I have to get off. Some mornings I have such a hard time getting over because of the speed inconsistencies of each lane and I have missed my exit at least once because of it and almost missed my exit a few other times.

I think the best thing to do is keep up with traffic while maintaining safe following distances. Hopefully your route has you not hitting too many rush hour spots because that makes it harder to keep the safe following distance.

bubbaray

I've driven all over the USA and Canada for 30 years. I cannot imagine going under the speed limit. Unless it was for weather or traffic.

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around intentionally going under the speed limit.

I generally go with the flow of traffic. Here that means driving considerably over the speed limit. We drive like maniacs here.

crunchierthanthou

Have you ever been in the states you'll have to have to cross? Wyoming, Nebraska, etc.? Believe me, set your cruise to 75 mph. I know you said over 60 feels like lightspeed to you, but speaking from experience, those wide open spaces make it easy to go 90 without realizing it. :eek: The only 80 or 85 mph limits are limited stretches in Utah and Texas.

Maybe compromise? You'll actually go the speed limit (70-75 mph through much of where you'll be driving), but agree to be done by dusk when deer and stuff start roaming around.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'd just agree to drive the posted speed limit and check in every so often (say, every 2 hours for a pee break or whatever).

P1ally

San Diegan here, you can and will be ticketed for going slower than 60 in a 65. It's also very unsafe. I can't tell you how many times I've come up on people doing 55 when everyone else is doing 70, and almost slammed into them.

T4K

As far as speed, I'll echo whatever everyone else said and make sure you aren't going too slow on busy highways. It's dangerous. I would go the speed limit.

It sounds like you have very different driving styles. If you want to drive 8 hours, I'd plan on around 400 - 500 miles a day. Pick a good rendezvous point each day about 400-500 miles out and meet there. That way you can both stop as needed and drive the speeds that you are comfortable with.

D&L's-mommy

I'd just agree to drive the posted speed limit and check in every so often (say, every 2 hours for a pee break or whatever).

I like this idea too. my husband drives faster than I do, and he's more of a risk taker (I like more space when changing lanes, merging, things like that) I ALWAYS do the speed limit, I"m even slightly psycho about it ;)
The only time I don't do the speed limit is if the flow of traffic is going at a different pace. When driving to Northern NJ the speed limit is usually 65 at most places, I follow the flow of traffic, and am often surprised when I glance at the speedometer (sure doesn't feel like I was driving 95mph), but like previously said, follow the flow, or do the speed limit. Meet up every 2 hours or so, agree that if either of you has a concern while traveling, you will pull over, call the other one, they'll pull over and you can talk.

LittlePeanut

Have you considered sending the second car to the destination via rail? Another option I've seen people doing is getting someone else to drive it. It doesn't even cost you anything but trust, since the person driving it pays for their own gas but gets the free use of your vehicle in return.

Just a thought.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC