Question Talk to me about the Recaro Prosport

mlohry

I am looking at FF, bolstering seats for my DD when she turns 4 and goes FF. She is little, so doesn't need much for size, but I was wondering how it works as a booster for smaller boned, skinny kids. I have a friend that has them and loves them. How does the harness tighten, easy, hard? Is it latchable in booster mode? Thanks!

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
I love my ProSport. DS (5) rides in it as his full-time seat in the main vehicle. I prefer it over the Regent that we had in my car, but moved to DH's. It loosens and tightens like butter. DS can loosen it, buckle, and just about get it tight enough himself. I always give it a final yank just to make sure, because he is pulling up, but he's usually got it pretty close.

It is LATCHable in booster more. If you search old threads here, you might get conflicting info on that because it's a (relatively) recent change. They used to just allow top tethering in booster mode.

Install is super easy IMO. Know that a shoulder belt could cross where the shoulder harness comes out and move it a little. Recaro says it's okay, but if you like, you can buckle but not tighten the seat belt, unhook the harness and let the seatbelt pass to the other side, then rehook and finish installing. I don't bother because I can always get the other side to pass the pinch test easily, so it's not pulling so much as to make one side tight and the other loose.

I have the lumbar wedge in mine. It's a separate piece of foam that Recaro will send for free. Again, the open belt path allows the seat belt or LATCH strap to lay in such a way that it's raised away from the shell a bit, and I could see it being uncomfy. The foam piece fills that space nicely.

I've tried DS in it as a booster. I think it would be very difficult for a kid to buckle, but the belt placement is amazing. I love the torso and head wings both for supposed SIP and for sleep support.

jjordan

We have a Prosport and I love it. We don't have the lumbar wedge that Jess mentioned, but neither kid (it's the 6 yo's seat, but the 4 yo rides in it when she's not around) seems to mind the seatbelt behind their back.

I haven't tried it as a booster yet.

I have found the harness to tighten very easily.

HTH!

bnsnyde

Probably my favorite seat.
My 6-year-old just outgrew the harness by height.
It is latchable in booster mode, so it's latched. We chose not to top tether in booster mode.
As a harness it's excellent. My 3 and 5-year-old ride harnessed in one.

As a booster I like it, too. It makes a short booster so won't last us too long as my kids are tall (I like to have the belt as close to the neck as I can). It's really wide so difficult to buckle in our civic. The seatbelt always gets twisted but I can deal with untwisting it. Given its deep side and head wings, I feel most comfortable with this booster over probably anything.

We always do seatbelt install for the harness. It's SOOOO easy. And the shoulder belt crosses the seat for excellent stability, in addition to the top tether, so I couldn't see using latch for an install which would just secure it at the bottom. The seatbelt install works so well. No problems even if the belt gets in the way of the harness; it didn't impact the seat use at all. (I even called Recaro to check on that).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC