Question Seat belt cutters

mlohry

After reading about Graco buckle issues I saw many people bring up having a seat belt cutter in their cars. Would a scissors work too? Honestly, I think I'd use a scissors faster than a knife thing. You can't exactly try out different cutting devices, so thought I'd ask :)

Where do you store a cutter in your car? My glove box locks itself on a regular basis so that is not an option for me. I was thinking maybe up on my visor, I think theres a loop for sunglasses it might fit into. I wouldn't just want it out in case my kids got a hold of it. How about taping it to somewhere?

Just a side note, I'm not having issues with my S4 me buckle sticking. Not crazy about the harness, but no issues with the buckle. I do have 3 kids I'd have to get out in an emergency, so a seat belt cutter may be good to have.

ADS

Baylor

I don't think scissors is faster. My mom had a tool as an EMT that was extremely sharp. It would cut through in seconds.
I think it's a special tool they are talking of.

auto correct hates me

cowgirlsmommy

I have a seat belt cutter/window breaking tool that I keep in a box in the storage part of my car door.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002AMAXNA"]Seatbelt Cutter Window Breaker Emergency Escape Tool:Amazon:Automotive[/ame]

Phineasmama

I have a Lifehammer that smashes windows and cuts seat belts and I keep it in the top section of my glove compartment. I used it once when my radian was tethered and got stuck that way (so I cut the strap to the d ring) and believe me it cuts through it like butter in 2 seconds flat.

Phineasmama

Oh and it isn't like a knife where one side is sharp and you could cut yourself. It's like a little groove or slot at the end and you just run the belt through it. Extremely easy and quick.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have a seatbelt cutter (says Britax on it!) on my visor. I'm not sure how good it is, though. It was a giveaway at a conference, and I needed to use it once to cut wrapping paper in an "emergency." I think the paper gummed it up.

I also have one of these on my keychain: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003PO38P2/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1350829060&sr=8-8&pi=SL75"]ResQMe Car Escape Tool, Made in USA (Orange):Amazon:Automotive[/ame]

tam_shops

With out the *right* scissors, you'd have a hard time cutting through a seat belt. Seat belt fibres are woven in multiple directions on more than one level, which increases the durability. Scissors are designed to cut through fibre but attacking the top and bottom of the same fibre at the same time.

A knife would cut through each layer one at a time vs standard scissors which would cut through the top of one and bottom layer of a separate fibre. Wouldn't work well (or very fast).

I have a self defence stick on my car key chain.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Defense-Keychain-5-75-Inch-Pressure/dp/B001T6J15O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1350834732&sr=8-6&keywords=baton"] Something like this.[/ame] I'd use that to break the window. Never really worried about the seat belt before, though I've heard that if you're upside down, you can't unbuckle it from the pressure...

tam

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Whatever you have, remember that it may be a projectile. Also, I personally try to keep it close to me, as the driver, just incase I need to help myself. Also, due to possible neck injuries, you don't want to move much.

crunchierthanthou

We actually received two the same Christmas. Apparently I give off a certain vibe. :p They're the kind with a cutter at one end, and a hammer at the other. One of them has an LED flashlight, too.

We couldn't return either, and only have one car, so.... One is in the driver's side door. The other is in the glove box.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I have this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=32-180134999-2
6366622707p

It is a folding knife, a glass breaker, and a belt cutter. Unfortunately, the belt cutter proved completely useless when trying to destroy an expired car seat. It wouldn't cut through the straps at all. The knife, however, slices through an expired harness like butter. I'm so glad I found out the belt cutter was useless.

I usually keep mine in my center console.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC