Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

Those huge Radian harness pads...

I don't see in the manual where they're optional for RF. Did I miss it, or is it one of those "in the know" things?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Those huge Radian harness pads...

I think it's one of those "phone Diono" things. I talked to Alana and she said that they are officially required for FF because those are the results that were given to TC. As I understand it, they're not required for RF because they don't affect the test results for RF. She also said that the seat passed all current requirements without the big pads. They just got better FF chest G results with the pads. She said the old SKJP Radians were compliant except for labelling.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

4. Thank You from:

I have it in writing from Diono, that they are required for FF and optional for RF.

6. Thank You from:

When we got ours, I called Diono (then Sunshine Kids) to ask about them and she said they were optional RF, but offered to send a smaller set (shoulder pads much like other seats). I received them within a week or two, free.

I hate those huge covers. I have tightened DS2 into his seat and then removed them, only to find I can pinch more than an inch of harness.
    I like to remove harness covers in winter to make it easier to buckle in with the coat trick, but argggg those stupid big ones.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by birdflippin' View Post
    I hate those huge covers. I have tightened DS2 into his seat and then removed them, only to find I can pinch more than an inch of harness.
    I like to remove harness covers in winter to make it easier to buckle in with the coat trick, but argggg those stupid big ones.
    I'm 100% with you, I hate them too but I don't think you can assume that if you can pinch the harness when you take them off that there is that much slack in the harness with them on. It isn't like a bulky snow suit that is going to completely compress in a collision and introduce tons of slack. The padding is very dense memory foam that will surely compress, but not to that degree. Having said that, I really do despise the fact that you can't properly check for tightness with those things on. Not a fan, at all.
    ~Tracey~
    Little Boy 1 - Graco Turbo Booster & Diono Monteray - 6 yrs, 50lbs, 48"
    Little Boy 2 - FF Radian XT - 4 yrs, 42 lbs, 45"