shuttle vs aton vs b safe

Cryssy Jane

Anyone have experience with all?
Little man is almost 5 months old, weighs almost 13lbs and wears 0-3 month clothes. Big sister is a pretty petite 5 year old. He will be here 5 days a week, 9 hours a day. When talking about field trips mom said she's fine with it, but would prefer him in an infant seat instead of a convertible. I tried to explain that both are equally safe, but she would feel more comfortable with a bucket. He is still a big sleeper. I told mom I don't have an infant seat and would need to purchase one. Mom said she'd be willing to pay half for a seat or up to $100 whichever is less.

The shuttle 35 is on sale at amazon for $150ish and I have prime.

I'm waiting to hear back from cybex about their tech program so I'm not sure of pricing for the aton, or crunchy has an aton in swap (although i really like the black handle better than the white.)

The b safe is $133 on amazon with prime and would coordinate and click into my b agile stroller. Although the b safe is pretty similar to the keyfit and the keyfit rarely puzzles well with the other seats I have.

ETA: I'd use mom's seat, but it's a nearly expired (has about 4 months left on it) sr22 from when she had her daughter 5 years ago and he does not fit well in it, but considering this is the first time I've talked to mom, I decided it wasn't time to bring that up.

ADS

Phineasmama

Just FYI, I was at BuyBuyBaby like a week ago and they had the black handle Aton, and it seemed to have some new small-ish bracket things in place to hold the fabric of the sun shade in place so it doesn't pop out. And since that was literally the only thing I didn't like about the seat, I thought it would be worth mentioning LOL!

If I had another baby, which I 100% will NOT, I would get the Aton, HANDS DOWN. I loved that seat and I almost cried real tears when I sold it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I love the Aton more than anything (well, as far as infant seats go), but I probably wouldn't get one for a 5-month-old...even a smallish 5-month-old.

Phineasmama

Really? My GIANT baby when she was 6 months old, had several inches of room above her head.

I think if you're a DCP and you want to have an infant seat around...might as well :)

But I am a huge enabler, so don't listen to me LOL

Cryssy Jane

See I hate infant seats. They always end up being so heavy on my arm or nail me mid to low thigh (only 5 feet tall), yet with 4 other kids to worry about it may be nice just to be able to pop the baby in and move on.

The keyfit was just awkward for me to hold, otherwise I liked it.
The onboard air was ginormous, the side level always nailed me in the leg and I'd maintain bruises for weeks.
The original britax companion was super heavy to carry around.
I've played with a baby trend flex loc and that was terrible. I thought it'd be better with the triangle handle but no that just dug in all the wrong places.
I also recently played with a friends sr35 (I've had a safe seat before) and it's huge as well.

I've had many infant buckets and end up selling them because I'm really not a bucket person after 6 months or so. I have not played with the shuttle or the aton. The b safe fits like the keyfit did, slightly awkward and I have to make sure to push down and wiggle a little to make sure it clicks in.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For hating buckets, I love the Aton- but it's about half an inch shorter than the Keyfit.

Tech pricing is a good deal (though more expensive than the other two you listed once you factor in shipping), and you get choice of color (that they have in stock) but yeah- I wouldn't buy one for a 5 month old.

Kel

I have six kids, and have used 5 different buckets, lol. Next time I "might" skip the bucket. I must be a slow learner, lol. I'm almost 5' tall, and also never happy with a bucket. I would go strait to our cco.

That being said, if I had to buy one today, I'd snag the maxi cosi thats on NBD. I used that seat last time and really like It {for a bucket}. It was nice and light,installed in minutes, and it's a good price. I think its on there for 96 or so. I know it has a 22lb limit, but I switched DD ay 5mos and 13lbs.

At 5mos I think Its kinda a waste and don't see why she prefers a bucket.

Kelley

Jessica61624

Is this mom going to be using it also? It seems crazy she's willing to buy a new seat just for daycare to keep him safer but has him in a nearly expired seat.

I agree the keyfit is heavy. It not a huge fan but it makes my morning so much easier. My friend has a snugride30 and I really like it. Its a lot smaller than the 35. It's also lighter and easier to carry with a 15lb baby.
I looked at the aton when I was trying to decide on ds2 seat. I really like it but the price was too high for me.

Cryssy Jane

Jessica61624 said:
Is this mom going to be using it also? It seems crazy she's willing to buy a new seat just for daycare to keep him safer but has him in a nearly expired seat.

She mentioned getting a new seat but didn't really elaborate. We very briefly talked about expiration dates which is when she told me the sr22 had been her daughters.

I really didn't want to step on any toes or over step any boundaries considering this is the first time I've met mom in person. We've talked multiple times via phone but not in person. She does seem to be interested in car seat safety as she recently bought her 5 year old a frontier85.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

keri1292

See I hate infant seats. They always end up being so heavy on my arm or nail me mid to low thigh (only 5 feet tall), yet with 4 other kids to worry about it may be nice just to be able to pop the baby in and move on.

The keyfit was just awkward for me to hold, otherwise I liked it.
The onboard air was ginormous, the side level always nailed me in the leg and I'd maintain bruises for weeks.
The original britax companion was super heavy to carry around.
I've played with a baby trend flex loc and that was terrible. I thought it'd be better with the triangle handle but no that just dug in all the wrong places.
I also recently played with a friends sr35 (I've had a safe seat before) and it's huge as well.

I've had many infant buckets and end up selling them because I'm really not a bucket person after 6 months or so. I have not played with the shuttle or the aton. The b safe fits like the keyfit did, slightly awkward and I have to make sure to push down and wiggle a little to make sure it clicks in.

Can you just leave the bucket in the car? Just because baby is in a bucket does not mean you have to lug the beastly seat everywhere. :)

Cryssy Jane

keri1292 said:
Can you just leave the bucket in the car? Just because baby is in a bucket does not mean you have to lug the beastly seat everywhere. :)

This is my plan at the moment. I guess having the option to lug it inside if he's sleeping wouldn't be that bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Stelvis

I can't speak to the other seats, but I liked my B Safe a lot while I had it. It is easy to use and I don't think overly heavy.

Cryssy Jane

I ordered a shuttle. They have pretty good resale value around here if I need to sell it if I don't like it. I wish the fun 33 covers were on the 35s though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC