Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Travel from canada to usa.

My family is planning a trip to Disneyland next February. We have 3 kids, ages 5, almost 3 and 11mths at the time of the trip. My original plan was to carry on a booster for DD5 but use DS1 carseat for her on the plane and DD2 would use her seat on the plane. DS1 will be a lap child, we don't need to debate it I thought this was a fool proof plan, but it looks like we will likely be flying with alaska airlines and if I read it correctly they don't allow Carseats on board for children over 22 lbs. I don't want to gate check the seats but I don't know what else to do.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Carseat Crazy
    I don't see that info on their website. Should be fine to use the carseat on the plane

Alaska definitely allows child restraints over 22lbs. The 22-40 reference is to the CARES harness.

Are you flying out of YVR? The very best and cheapest routing with Alaska is from SEA direct nonstop to SNA (Orange County). It takes you only 15 min to get from SNA to DL. As opposed to 60+min from LAX to DL. One year we took the DL Express and it took 90 min from LAX to DL which totally sucked. SNA is a MUCH nicer airport than LAX
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Use of the ACSD is the same as use of any approved CRS. Any other child booster seats and other types of child restraints may not be used during take-off, landing, and surface movements regardless of what stamp/seal of approval these booster or harness devices carry.

This is the part that makes me worry that we can't use a carseat with our kids over 22 lbs. we are planning to fly Bellingham to sna, the airport fees out of Vancouver are ridiculous.

BLI to SNA is not non stop IIRC. I think you either how to change planes in SEA or Portland
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

I realize we will have to change planes along the way, I don't know if I've ever flown direct anywhere before, so I'm not sure if that's an issue for us.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Re: Travel from canada to usa.

If you're flying Alaska Airlines, they're subject to FAA regulations. The FAA most definitely allows car seat use beyond 22 lbs. Basically, as long as you have a ticket for a child, you have a restraint that is government-approved for airline use, and your child fits within the manufacturer's limits, you cannot be denied the right to use it. http://carseatblog.com/8037/guest-bl...w-your-rights/

I only skimmed the other responses, but I agree that SNA is a much nicer, easier, and closer-to-Disneyland airport than LAX.