Feds investigating Graco buckles

ADS

babyherder

Yikes! I have a myride that I believe is from that time period. Must consider if I should keep using it for now.

Baylor

Hm that is interesting. I don't know why any child would have to be cut out.. They could loosen harness and then reach in and get child.

This would be the old buckle then, But I hear more people complaining about the new one..

Baylor

I have a GN from then. I have not issue using it. It is not coming loose, That would concern me more. Mine is the old style.

Dmcj13

I have had the old one get stuck, about three times only once did we have to loosen the harness and pull the kid out, and after cleaning it it still sticks a bit but not terribly. The new one I don't find to be terribly difficult to open ever, but it is not great either, and my kids can't buckle it themselves.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Baylor said:
It is not coming loose, That would concern me more.

Buckles sticking is a huge issue, IMO. Besides creating aggravation for parents (possibly leading to them skipping the buckle all together), it could be a big problem in an emergency when you need to get a kid out NOW.

PikkuMyy

Isn't the Evenflo buckle the same as Graco's? The buckle on our Maestro has stuck really badly in the past. Once I thought it wasn't going to open at all but I ended up getting it released.

bubbaray

Wow that is pretty scary in an emergency, tho my understanding is that EMS/Fire generally leave the kid in the seat and cut the LATCH it seatbelt because the restraint is like a backboard. However in a fire, it will be a parent or Good Samaritan and I think most would just try to get kids out of the seat, not the seat out of the car

Isn't ease of emergency removal from the seat an EU criteria?

2BunniesMommy

I wonder how many of the 25 complaints were from people on here.

I have a friend that has one of each, but the GN might be too old to be effected if there is a recall. The MyRide would be though. She will freak out if they are. She loves both seats. Then she will blame me because I recommended both.

Oh well, whatever happens happens. (as far as her being mad at me, not concerning child safety)

Phineasmama

Makes me glad I have a life hammer in my glove box you never really know what can happen!
I hate the Graco buckles. If I didn't like most everything else on my MYSize I would have returned it for the buckle alone. I got a 2010 Nautilus for my neighbor and that one is SO much nicer.

robbertbobbert

Hm that is interesting. I don't know why any child would have to be cut out.. They could loosen harness and then reach in and get child.

This would be the old buckle then, But I hear more people complaining about the new one..

My GN has done the sticking thing a few times. The child riding in the seat was 4.5 at the time. Even with the harness loosened all the way, I had to bend her legs some awful way to get them out and she was just screaming and screaming from how uncomfortable she was. I was pretty close to cutting the straps or trying to unthread it with her in the seat.

Baylor

robbertbobbert said:
My GN has done the sticking thing a few times. The child riding in the seat was 4.5 at the time. Even with the harness loosened all the way, I had to bend her legs some awful way to get them out and she was just screaming and screaming from how uncomfortable she was. I was pretty close to cutting the straps or trying to unthread it with her in the seat.

I'm going to try to get my son out without undoing him because I believe what you are saying but I can't see it.

I'm sure in a recall they would just send new harness

auto correct hates me

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Isn't the Evenflo buckle the same as Graco's

A number of manufacturers are now using the same buckle as the "new" buckles found on various Graco products, including some upcoming products just shown at the ABC Kids Expo. We told every one of them about our concerns regarding ease-of-use.

Personally, I've always been a fan of the current North American made IMMI/SafeGuard harness systems and buckles. Even so, consumers want low price points, and that probably explains the proliferation of harnesses made in China by other companies.

christineka

Even if the child could not come out of the harness all loosened up, you could uninstall the seat and remove the harness. (That's what I would do.) Many parents, however, either don't know how to remove the harness, or don't think of that in the thick of things.

tl01

I had a MR that they bought back from me bc it was becoming harder and harder to unbuckle. A few times I wasn't sure if I'd get DS2 out.

gigi

It is this kind of thing that keeps me going with Britax. I got a Nautilus because it fit better in my car as a booster, but I really dislike that buckle...seriously dislike x 1000. I would rather have paid $20 more and had an IMMI buckle. I won't even consider a new Evenflo convertible because of the buckle, even though I LOVE my 2009 EFTA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC