rearended

lpperry

My husband was rear-ended this morning. I think it was minor, but I am guessing our carseats will need to be replaced.

How does insurance handle seats that you can't buy in the store anymore? We have an Avenue and a SK Radian. I am so mad. I love the Avenue and hate the Scenera, so I don't want to replace with a Scenera. The Radian is a 2010 that I just bought a few weeks ago from a member on here.

ADS

jacqui276

When I had to replace my car seats after an accident, I was told to buy the same car seat, a car seat that is equivalent (i.e. RXT instead of XTSL), or let them know how much the equivalent would cost and then buy a seat of my choice but they would only reimburse for what the cost of the equivalent seat would be.

I replaced my Designer 22 infant seat (hated that thing) with a Via and just took a picture of the price tag at the store of a Designer 22 seat to show them how much it would cost to buy just that car seat, then submitted my receipts for the seats that I bought to prove that I did purchase new seats.

I'm sure different insurance companies have different policies surrounding this though, but what mine suggested makes the most sense to me.

laccaycol

My insurance just had me look them up online and email it to them. So they knew how much they were. Then they cut me a check. I have Geico

veggiegirl228

A few years ago our insurance looked online to see how much the seat would be and sent a check. Last year, they said we'll send you xx amt. Once the seat was bought, I emailed them a copy of the receipt and they sent the difference.

sm1982

I'm sure it varies by insurance company. I recently had my seats replaced, the only thing they required was a photo of my old seats and a copy of the receipt for my new seats. They never said the seats had to be identical, but I didn't want to take advantage of them buy replacing a Nautilus with a Frontier. However, I couldn't find a RA50 anywhere locally so I replaced it with a Marathon.. they never questioned me on it.

Irishmama

Glad he's ok! We had to replace a classic MA and two OS Parkways, and they gave us what it would cost to replace them with a MA 70 and PW SG's. They also gave us the amount it would cost to purchase them in-store at BRU, not on online only price. HTH!

lpperry

Thanks. I guess things vary, so I will have to wait and see what happens with the insurance company. I also need to check and see if the seats need to be replaced.

My husband was slowing down due to a busy road. The car in front of him stopped quickly, so my husband stopped fairly quickly. The car behind him tried to stop, but did not stop in time and bumped into my husband's car. My husbands car did not move forward into the car in front of him. The air bags did not go off. He is not sure if the seatbelts locked. He said he heard the scraping but didn't feel a bump when the car hit him. The car that hit my husband--it's airbags went off.

Does this sound like the seats need to be replaced in our car?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC