Would you be comfortable with

veggiegirl228

having a 6.5 yr ride in a nbb for a ride that is within 10 miles total? Provided the fit was good with the seatbelt. (currently in hbb)

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

Marcus' spare is a backless Harmony literider. He rode in it on the way to get his new booster. :) He has rode in it on days when my dad forgot to take his HBB out of the car he took to work, but me & mom needed to go somewhere after Marcus got home from school but before dad got home from work.

Is it ideal? No. But it fits him great & he sits properly in it. I much prefer him in the HBB & so does he, but I will put him in the backless if I need to.

skylinphoto

I've put my 6.5 yo in a nbb (his spare seat) a handful of times. I've felt comfortable with it. Obviously its not an everyday thing. He sits perfectly in it and it fits him well.

bubbaray

Yes, perfectly safe, assuming good belt fit. If you search, there is a study showing no safety difference between HBB and LBB.

I personally use a LBB for travel and carpooling at that age.

Shaunam

I started using a backless as a spare around that age. It was a little unnerving at first, but he did fine. He even falls alseep and sits straight up. LOL

jacqui276

As long as the belt fits well and the child sits correctly 100% of the time, I would be fine with it even for every day use.

aeormsby

I'm also perfectly fine with it. My DD has been using a NBB as a spare for a year now (since she was 5.75). When we travel (fly - rental car) she's riding in it for the entire trip, including the 1.5 hour drive from the airport to my parents house.

The only thing that would make me thing twice (unless it wasn't a good belt fit) would be the potential to fall asleep and lean out of position.

bnsnyde

Around here all I ever see are 4 and up in NBB seats. Even 3.
So I love your questions because you're concerned.

I like the Prosport for my 6-year-old (it's in booster mode now) because it kind of hugs him, with some seriously deep sides and headwings, EPS foam even behind the head and all around him. There is no way I believe he's as safe in a NBB compared to that. Plus the car has no side-curtain airbags.

That being said, I don't think using the seat you described would be a huge concern for that age, with a booster ready child.

veggiegirl228

Thank you :)

She currently rides in HBTB. She does great, always has! She has ridden in a nbb once and was shocked at the fit (this was last year after our accident). They may not be going anywhere since I just found out no game on that day. But we like to leave a seat as an "in case" thing. We know how easy it can be to have the back fall off of the TB. I thought it might be easier to leave it as nbb.

The car is a Ford Flex (the other car I wouldn't be comfortable her in since 1 position has lap only belt) so she'll have a headrest behind her.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
There really is no reason to fear the backless booster as it seems many people do. It's a perfectly acceptable solution if the child fits the requirements of the seat, you get a good fit and the child can sit properly in the seat.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
tanyaandallie said:
There really is no reason to fear the backless booster as it seems many people do. It's a perfectly acceptable solution if the child fits the requirements of the seat, you get a good fit and the child can sit properly in the seat.

I very much agree.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC