Which hbb's do NOT require head support behind them?

momtoo3

I know there was a thread on this a while back. I'm trying to do a 3 across in dh's car (2010 Malibu) and am not having success with a harnessed seat for ds3 in the middle with a nbb on one side and a hbb on the other side. So I am going to try ds2 in a hbb in the center where there is no headrest. I have a Vivo, PWSG and Monterey. I know the Monterey needs head support and I'm pretty sure the PWSG does not. What about the Vivo? Any other tall boosters that don't need head support?

ADS

momtoo3

Thank you! I remember the thread but am having internet issues and when I went to search I got an error page.

This doesn't leave me with a lot of options. PWSG or Chicco Strada which is getting hard to find and not too popular so I have no idea if it is 3 across friendly. He has about outgrown the HBTB (is on the last setting with no room to grow) and also hates it because of the small headrests. I wish the Safety Surround TB went taller. He would love a orange seat. He is also on the last setting of his Compass B540 but that is his seat in grandpa's car and it is shared with my nephew.

HayleyCPST

No worries!
Parkway is 3 across friendly usually. Although, if he is that tall, maybe it's time to go backless? Or you could check out the harmony V6 booster, might give you another inch or so. Not sure if that requires head support.

nevaehsmommy

Maybe a dumb question but what does head support mean? Up to the top of the booster? To the top of the kids head inside of the booster? Touching the back of the head wings? I am always somewhat confused and error on the side of caution but then I wonder if I am raising the head rest up to far.

Jessica61624

nevaehsmommy said:
Maybe a dumb question but what does head support mean? Up to the top of the booster? To the top of the kids head inside of the booster? Touching the back of the head wings? I am always somewhat confused and error on the side of caution but then I wonder if I am raising the head rest up to far.

Upto the top of the ears.

Eta the head rest should be at the top. Of their ears. Or above.,

momtoo3

No worries!
Parkway is 3 across friendly usually. Although, if he is that tall, maybe it's time to go backless? Or you could check out the harmony V6 booster, might give you another inch or so. Not sure if that requires head support.

We will most likely go backless after the winter. He still sleeps in the car often and cannot stay in position when in a nbb so I want a hbb for as long as possible. He has asked recently for a nbb and I told him we would do it in June when he turns 8. I would have no problem doing it now if he didn't sleep. He uses a nbb in grandpa's car when my nephew is with them and using the hbb. A few weeks ago they brought them home and ds2 was slumped forward and against the window sleeping. I'm hoping that he will follow ds1's pattern and outgrow the sleeping right before turning 8..

Dillipop

I just looked up the vivo manual online and no where in it does it say that it requires vehicle head support. The manual refers to the top section of the backrest as the head restraint and states that you can not use the seat if your child's head is above the top of the (vivo) head restraint. If you can find anything in the actual manual or directly from vivo in the form of a press release or the like that states otherwise, I would take it to mean that the vivo does NOT require head support from the vehicle.

In fact, in one picture in the manual, it shows how to adjust the head rest to make it higher and it looks like the child's head might be high enough over the seat back that if the seat required head rest use, the seat would be outgrown.

momtoo3

I was just going through the Vivo manual earlier and didn't see anything either.

Does anyone know if needing a head support is a new thing? Also what about the ProBooster?

Dillipop

While one member got an email about it, Recaro has never changed the manual or clarified in a public place, ie their website. If you follow RTFM, the vivo does not require additional head support from the vehicle.

Baylor

I don't think I was the only one and having an engineer say that they require head support would not lead me to tell people it is their choice.

To include the exerpt for the CS rep after comfirming with Engineer..

"This is clarification I received from the engineer:

You can remove the (vehicle)headrest as long as the child's head is equal to the vehicle seat back. If the child's head is above then discontinue use. "

auto correct hates me

Last edited:

Dillipop

And what I am saying is that this is a private email. It is not a rewrite of the manual. It is not a press release changing the manual. It is not something put out there to the public. Until it is, the manual does not state that head support is needed in the Vivo. In fact, the manual calls part of the actual booster the head restraint. We tell people to read the manual. There is nothing to support your email in the manual.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And as I recall, Diono has since said, "follow your manual" and retracted their statement about support being needed.

Wendy

cso1997

If manufacturers don't care enough to issue a new manual then their after the fact statements mean nothing to me. Hearsay isn't enough for me to disregard the manual. If it was really important and manufacturers were concerned about liability then they absolutely would change the manual to reflect the new information.

What is the point of including a manual with the seat if "engineers" are going to send out emails to a couple people out of thousands that own the seat to change things?

Baylor

I don't think it's hearsay when they put it into writing in an email.

I don't feel comfortable and would feel obligated to let any parent know about needing a headrest as per the email.

It's up to them but I would want them to kniw about it.

auto correct hates me

lanwenyi

If manufacturers don't care enough to issue a new manual then their after the fact statements mean nothing to me. Hearsay isn't enough for me to disregard the manual. If it was really important and manufacturers were concerned about liability then they absolutely would change the manual to reflect the new information.

What is the point of including a manual with the seat if "engineers" are going to send out emails to a couple people out of thousands that own the seat to change things?

This is my thinking too.

How many people have gotten conflicting info when calling/emailing companies about any number of issues? We have no way of knowing if an engineer was *really* contacted. There are many types of engineers, if an engineer was contacted, did the CSR contact the right one? IIRC (although this might have been Diono, not Recaro), there was also a statement from an engineer stating that a gap created by keeping the headrest in place was okay (expressly prohibited in the manual) and to fill the gap with a towel/blanket (which makes NO sense).

Until I see a press release, an updated manual with a "retroactive" statement, or a recall, I'm going to follow my manual, which means no head support is required.

If I'm talking to other carseat geeks, I'll discuss the controversy and let them decide for themselves. If a non-carseat geek came across the controversy and asked me about it, I would discuss it, let them know my thinking on it, and that others disagree with me. I won't bring it up otherwise and just tell people to follow the manual.

tam_shops

And as I recall, Diono has since said, "follow your manual" and retracted their statement about support being needed.

Wendy

SERIOUSLY! ROFL that is too funny, I found out that it needed a head rest a week after I bought it. :( I found out it did not need a head rest the week after I bought the Parkway. I *really* preferred the Monterey and had spare covers coming out my ying yang for it, but don't have a head rest in the middle of my car and my SIL has no head rests at all (jeep). Uuuugghhgghghggh and sigh....

tam

Last edited:

HayleyCPST

Alrighty...Back to OP's question

How about the literider? That's pretty narrow and works great for 3 across, but it is a backless, so maybe it's something to think about for later down the road.

Also try to parkway!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC