Help! My mom wants to buy our convertibles :)

Lnp838

I am 31 weeks pregnant with twin boys. My mom has been buying the last few things off of our registry and offered to get our convertible seats (we registered for two Radian RXTs). She wants to buy them next month and I definitely want to take advantage even though its still early.

We have two Britax Chaperones ready for them that will be going in my 2010 Chevy Equinox. I was a bit surprised when I installed them that even with the miles of room we appeared to have, my husband who is 6'3'' is squished when the Chaperone is behind him.

This makes me concerned about the amount of front to back space Radians will take up. I plan to use the Chaperones until they are outgrown though which should be AT LEAST 9-10 months and the babies should have good enough head control to use the angle adjuster. So - do you think the Radians are a good choice?

(Just for some more info - the nearest store to try out Radians is 3 hours away. We don't technically NEED 3 across b/c I don't plan on having a third child until these two are around 3 years old, but it'd be nice to be able to have a passenger if needed. I am open to other seat suggestions though. My DH isn't convinced no matter what info I throw at him that kids need to rear face past 1, so I definitely want seats that make RFing as easy as possible.)

ADS

Kegracin

My step mom has the GMC version the terrain Radian fit just fine I didn't even need to use the adjuster. However I would suggest you hold off on getting them right now ask her to put the money in a savings account, so you don't loose life on your seat while they are sitting around waiting to be used.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Kegracin said:
My step mom has the GMC version the terrain Radian fit just fine I didn't even need to use the adjuster. However I would suggest you hold off on getting them right now ask her to put the money in a savings account, so you don't loose life on your seat while they are sitting around waiting to be used.

:yeahthat: car seats expire, do not buy until almost when you need them or you are losing part of their life span (and room in your closet). The price may even come down, or a new and better seat may come out!

Oh, and be aware that the Equinox has funny rules for using LATCH anchors, so double check your vehicle manual closely before installing seats.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

I agree, I wouldn't buy them now. Besides, a seat you love more may be out by the time they're out of their Chaperones.

And if a Chaperone fits, any convertible will fit. They're HUGE infant seats. The biggest there are. If your husband is having trouble fitting, another infant seat would probably help.

Make sure you have the low weight birth foam ready for the Chaperones, just in case.

Wendy

Phineasmama

Although they do expire and all...if someone in my family had offered to buy 2 radians I would have jumped at the chance. If you get them when your kid is born...I mean they have what a 7 or 8 year expiration date? My oldest is almost 6 and I wouldn't use a Radian for her now, last time I checked (probably 6 months ago) she was very very close to the top harness slot and I don't feel comfortable going over the shoulders like Diono says you can.

So...yeah. It's up to you. As long as you're making an informed decision ;)

Lnp838

:yeahthat: car seats expire, do not buy until almost when you need them or you are losing part of their life span (and room in your closet). The price may even come down, or a new and better seat may come out!

Oh, and be aware that the Equinox has funny rules for using LATCH anchors, so double check your vehicle manual closely before installing seats.

yep I am aware :) We have our Chaperones installed with the seatbelt, and if we needed a passenger in the middle when we are using convertibles we will do a belt install.

Lnp838

I agree, I wouldn't buy them now. Besides, a seat you love more may be out by the time they're out of their Chaperones.

And if a Chaperone fits, any convertible will fit. They're HUGE infant seats. The biggest there are. If your husband is having trouble fitting, another infant seat would probably help.

Make sure you have the low weight birth foam ready for the Chaperones, just in case.

Wendy

Its already in! The manual said to use it until they reach 11 lbs so I am 99.999999% sure they will need it since the latest I should deliver is 38 weeks.

Lnp838

I like this idea. We do have family that we visit often that lives about an hour from Buy Buy Baby (where my mom would be buying them) so I could also exchange them for newer ones next time we visit or just get a huge merchandise credit. That way we can make a weekend out of it with family, and have them actually try the seats out...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not required to 11 pounds, but you must remove it at 11. Twins are more likely to need it, though.

Wendy

Lnp838

It's not required to 11 pounds, but you must remove it at 11. Twins are more likely to need it, though.

Wendy

oh ok. I figured either way if they looked uncomfortable, or if I have an ultrasound showing they are at least 6 lbs I will probably take it out.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just remember that ultrasounds are accurate to about one or two pounds in either direction.

Wendy

Phineasmama

Oh I must have missed that you have an Equinox, my MIL has the exact same one and I've installed our radians in there before. It worked fine but you might have to move the seats forward a little bit. I have not tried it with the angle adjuster in her car though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC