Maxi Cosi Rodi

momtoo3

What are the pros and cons of this seat? What is the difference between the Rodi and Rodi XR? Is it good for 3 across? I never see it recommended.

If you can't tell by my other threads I am desperately searching for something to work in a 3 across for dh's Malibu....Ds1 in a nbb, ds2 in a hbb if possible and ds3 in a harness. I can't find a new seat for ds3 that I can buckle ds2's boosters next to. I am willing to buy 2 new seats if needed.

ADS

PikkuMyy

I own a Rodi XR. Here's my post about it with a ton of pictures: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=224507

As far as I can tell, the regular Rodi does not have adjustable side wings and the shoulder belt guide is different. The Rodi XR belt guides are too narrow in some cars and the seat belt gets stuck if the child moves forward. It has adjustable side wings (2 adjustments). I looooove it for my own car!

I just took some measurements and pictures for you. The Rodi XR is about 18.25" wide at the widest part on the seat portion. It's about 17.25"-17.5" at the widest part of the side wings. I measured with the wings on the narrower setting and they'll squish together a little more if car seats around it are pushing against the wings. In comparison, the Harmony Literider/Youth Booster is about 17.25" wide at its widest spot, according to my measurements. That being said, the Rodi XR *might* work in a 3 across. I've never actually tried. Do remember that it requires vehicle head support behind it.

Comparison: Literider vs. Rodi XR:
(sorry about the plastic around the Literider. I didn't feel like running to the car for the unwrapped one. ;))

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

The base itself isn't as wide as the widest part, but I don't think that would make a difference in a 3-across.

My best friend has an '08 Malibu and she might be coming over later. I could ask her if I can try a few seats in there with the Rodi XR. What year is your husband's Malibu?

creideamh

I had the regular Rodi. It worked outboard in my Prius, with RF Radian center and FF Radian outboard. It was one of two boosters that worked for 3 across (ProBooster worked as well, but the Rodi was easier to buckle. Not EASY, but easiER.) And IIRC, a Malibu has much more side-to-side room than a Prius...

ETA- not recommended as much because the Dorel boosters require head support, even in HB mode... though now that's true with a lot of other HBBs...

momtoo3

His is a 2010. I need a seat for ds3 (age 4) in the middle with ds2 in the booster outboard plus enough room for ds1 to fit on the other side. If you can see my siggy it has my current seats in it but I am not opposed to buying a new harnessed seat for ds3 ;). I really want a prosport but don't think that is going to happen in that spot. Ds3 is on the small sode but is starting to complain in his MR and MA70 so I am looking mostly for a combo seat. A Radian RXT is a possibility too. Whatever works at this point.

PikkuMyy

His is a 2010. I need a seat for ds3 (age 4) in the middle with ds2 in the booster outboard plus enough room for ds1 to fit on the other side. If you can see my siggy it has my current seats in it but I am not opposed to buying a new harnessed seat for ds3 ;). I really want a prosport but don't think that is going to happen in that spot. Ds3 is on the small sode but is starting to complain in his MR and MA70 so I am looking mostly for a combo seat. A Radian RXT is a possibility too. Whatever works at this point.

You could try an Evenflo SecureKid in the center. I think it's the narrowest of the combination seats.

christineka

I have the plain rodi and like it a lot. I have it in a 3 across, but I stick it in the spot with a rigid buckle stalk, so I don't know how it does in a tight 3 across.

momtoo3

You could try an Evenflo SecureKid in the center. I think it's the narrowest of the combination seats.

I have a Maestro and that doesn't work in there so I'm guessing the SecureKid won't, which stinks because I was excited about the seat thinking it would be what we needed. Thanks though :).

kam1011

I don't have anything to say about the Rodi, but I had three across in a 2008 Malibu for years (same body style). Our last setup involved a SK400 behind the driver, radian center, and literider on the passenger side. I don't remember if I ever tried to install it in the center.

How about a FF radian center with boosters outboard that don't latch? I also had a HBTB next to the radian for a while (before the SK400-with that on the other side the TB didn't fit anymore). The best seat ever was the My Ride. So much room with that thing center. Idk if I would buy one for a four year old though!

I also did a carpool for a while where every tuesday night I had to move seats around and I believe we did literider-HBTB-radian. It wasn't easy to buckle, but I would help the girls.

momtoo3

I don't have anything to say about the Rodi, but I had three across in a 2008 Malibu for years (same body style). Our last setup involved a SK400 behind the driver, radian center, and literider on the passenger side. I don't remember if I ever tried to install it in the center.

How about a FF radian center with boosters outboard that don't latch? I also had a HBTB next to the radian for a while (before the SK400-with that on the other side the TB didn't fit anymore). The best seat ever was the My Ride. So much room with that thing center. Idk if I would buy one for a four year old though!

I also did a carpool for a while where every tuesday night I had to move seats around and I believe we did literider-HBTB-radian. It wasn't easy to buckle, but I would help the girls.

Our current set up is either a MA70 or MyRide center with boosters outboard. Ds3 is complaining about the recline and being smooshed in the MR and about being smooshed and his "willy" hurting in the MA70 so I'm trying to find a combo seat for him.
I tried a Radian at Buy Buy Baby this week in the center with the boosters outboard and I couldn't buckle the boosters. I really want to keep ds2 in a hbb as long as possible because he still sleeps in the car if we drive more than 20 minutes. I tried the RN with a Vivo, Monterey and PWSG. The Monterey was the best but still too hard.
Ds2 has outgrown the harness in everything but possibly the FR85 where I think he is about even with the top slots. He has 2 clicks left on the Vivo. I know our days of a hbb are numbered :(. I don't have a problem buy a new hbb though because ds3 will booster train next summer (I think he is about ready now.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC